Little Fibers Sticking Up Off Shirt any fix? - Page 6 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Pretreatment
A section of the forum to discuss DTG Pretreatment machines, techniques, tips and suggestions.
Sponsored by Firebird Ink

Little Fibers Sticking Up Off Shirt any fix?

Like Tree5Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 17th, 2011 Mar 17, 2011 3:54:53 PM -   #76 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Jim
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Little Fibers Sticking Up Off Shirt any fix?

Quote:
We are new to the DTG printing world.
We are using the brush method when we are doin the pretreat.
Recently we have had a bit of fading(after wash)but also the pics are not printing on the shirt as vivid as they did when we first started.
I was wondering COULD IT BE OUR BRUSH?
Our brush is very course it's pretty big.
It's more like a little broom if you ask me.
What would be the best brushes to use?
We live on Kauai and don't have a lot of selection.
I would appreciate the input.
We got a big event comin up APRIL2nd it will make or brake us and I don't wanna fail.
As we say in Hawaii MAHALO(thank you)
Laurie,

Reading what you wrote it sounds like you are saying everything has always worked fine before but suddenly you are experiencing trouble. Do you shake your pretreatment bottles before pouring into the sprayer? Another thing, did this problem by chance happen when you used a "new" bottle of pretreatment? There have been HUGE problems recently with vendors pouring anything they want into bottles and sell them under the old US Screen brand name "FastINK(2,3,etc..)". I don't know where you buy your DTG inks and pretreatment from but if you are using DuPont inks then you need to call DuPont and see if where you are buying your inks from are genuine DuPont ink distributors. Since US Screen is out of business there is no regulations in the FastINK brand name. So as a rule of thumb FastINK does NOT equal DuPont!! This goes for the pretreatments as well. DuPont makes pretreatments that work exclusively with their inks.

As for what people do with pretreating methods. Some people spray just pretreatment, some spray a fine mist of water first, some use a paint roller after spraying the treatment, some use a sponge and some use a brush. Find what works for you and do wash test to make sure you are keeping consistent. I hope this advice helps you out! I don't know where you buy inks in Hawaii but if it is from the US mainland then these 3 companies below are selling 100% genuine DuPont inks:

BelQuette
American Screen Supply
Atlas Screen Supply

Call DuPont for others closer to your location. Best of luck to you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2011 Mar 17, 2011 5:14:44 PM -   #77 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Laurie

Quote:
Originally Posted by casperboy77
Laurie,

Reading what you wrote it sounds like you are saying everything has always worked fine before but suddenly you are experiencing trouble. Do you shake your pretreatment bottles before pouring into the sprayer? Another thing, did this problem by chance happen when you used a "new" bottle of pretreatment? There have been HUGE problems recently with vendors pouring anything they want into bottles and sell them under the old US Screen brand name "FastINK(2,3,etc..)". I don't know where you buy your DTG inks and pretreatment from but if you are using DuPont inks then you need to call DuPont and see if where you are buying your inks from are genuine DuPont ink distributors. Since US Screen is out of business there is no regulations in the FastINK brand name. So as a rule of thumb FastINK does NOT equal DuPont!! This goes for the pretreatments as well. DuPont makes pretreatments that work exclusively with their inks.

As for what people do with pretreating methods. Some people spray just pretreatment, some spray a fine mist of water first, some use a paint roller after spraying the treatment, some use a sponge and some use a brush. Find what works for you and do wash test to make sure you are keeping consistent. I hope this advice helps you out! I don't know where you buy inks in Hawaii but if it is from the US mainland then these 3 companies below are selling 100% genuine DuPont inks:

BelQuette
American Screen Supply
Atlas Screen Supply

Call DuPont for others closer to your location. Best of luck to you!
Thanks I'll check into the ink companies.
The ink we got did not have dates on them
We suspect it might be an issue

Old September 6th, 2011 Sep 6, 2011 12:06:14 PM -   #78 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Sean

Man nothing I've tried has really improved my fiber problem significantly. Read this thread and changed up my process and it got a little better... Spent today on the phone with support and it improved a little - but this is nowhere near acceptable.

http://i.imgur.com/yPSV6.png

I'm so frustrated... how am I supposed to run a shirt printing business when I can't print acceptable shirts?

Old September 6th, 2011 Sep 6, 2011 9:39:54 PM -   #79 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Jim

Sean,

I am going to assume you are using the untreated quilon paper for the pretreating process bought from a DTG supplier? If you bought your paper at a restaurant supply (as I do), you have to make sure to buy the right paper. Don't ever buy the brown colored baking pan liners because those are terrible!

So What you want to do is pretreat your shirt. Then press your shirt with the uncoated paper on top of the garment using very heavy pressure and let it sit there for quite a while (Experiment 35-90 sec etc..) to dry the pretreatment. Open the press and remove the paper and the paper shouldn't stick too much. The paper should come of fairly easy. After removing the paper repress with the same heavy pressure (without paper) for a few seconds to get those fibers to mesh down (of course before repressing without paper you need to make sure the pretreatment is dry first).

Also try BelQuette's Treatsrite dark pretreatment. In the past I have used other pretreatments and know of a few pretreatments that were very sticky and had nothing but problems. The pretreatment that BelQuette sells is virtually flawless and not too expensive. Also Atlas Screen Supply sells and awesome pretreatment for colors on lights without using white ink called InstaColor. I'm not trying to confuse you but just letting you know of it. I know the stuff is expensive to just up and purchase another gallon from somewhere else but if by chance this is indeed your problem (pretreatment) then it might be better then trying to struggle through it. So let me clarify this for you and anyone else reading: Get Dark Pretreatment from BelQuette, for using white ink. You can also use this pretreatment on light colors and it doesn't show like other pretreatments do. You do not need to purchase light pretreatment when using this stuff but can if you truly wish. If you are going to print onto white or light colored shirts as you know you do not need pretreatment. However in my test the color doesn't hold as vibrantly in the shirt and also when printing black ink the ink may seep through the first layer of fabric and on to the surface of the other side of the shirt (on the inside of the shirt). To prevent the two problems I just mentioned on white and light colored shirts you can buy InstaColor from Atlas Screen Supply, it is very inexpensive and works great. Those are 2 pretreatments that you should keep on hand. In time it might not be a bad idea to purchase a gallon of Poly Pretreatment for polyester garments (I have never bought this yet but heard of people who swear by it for polyester). Oh and the Poly Pretreat is only for colors not white ink.

Lastly, make sure you are doing an underbase of 1440 and color pass at 720. Your underbase and color pass must match ex: cartoon underbase 1440 - cartoon color pass 720, never cartoon underbase and photo color pass or vice versa. This will help you with starting out, in time you'll figure out what to change.

I hope these couple pointers help you out and help get you on the right track. I was kind of vague as to not get too complicated. If your DTG was bought from a DTG dealer and you have a warranty, I strongly recommend you give them a call first.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Old November 14th, 2011 Nov 14, 2011 2:22:28 AM -   #80 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Nick

I know this post is a little old but I'm trying these methods now and I wanted to know if there was an alternative to using a boar bristle brush. For some reason, it's hard to find here in Japan. Does it have to be boar bristle? Is it hard or soft? Thanks for any help or info.

Old May 12th, 2014 May 12, 2014 9:26:21 AM -   #81 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Rob

I've encountered this EXACT problem and here is the solution that was offered to me by a trusted member of this forum. What you're experiencing are fibers sticking straight up,....then having a white base layer applied to them (while sticking straight up),...then they are forced to lay over when cured under the heat press, making white flecks throughout your color fields,...correct? If this is the correct scenario then:

1. Immediately after applying your pretreatment, take a squeegee and, in one direction only (top to bottom preferably) gently squeegee the area that was pretreated. This serves to lay all the fibers down and embed them in the pretreatment.

2. Cure your pretreated shirts under relatively high pressure (mine: DK Knight digital press @ 4-5 pressure setting) for the prescribed amount of time. I use Image Armor and therefore use 330 deg for 30 seconds, and possibly an additional 10 seconds after that but usually 30 is fine and my teflon sheet slides right off.

3. After printing, I've been hovering for 30 seconds, then curing for 1:20 per layer at 345 deg, relatively low pressure (same press as above @ 2 pressure setting.

This cleared up the flecks right away. Hope this helps,...good luck !

Old January 7th, 2016 Jan 7, 2016 3:39:33 AM -   #82 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Cary

Hi Brian, I am new to DTG, printer parts arriving today actually (T-dozer on an Epson P600) going back and forth on pretreat and tryin g to learn as much as possible. guess I will try to wagner sprayer first. very interested about your Quilon coating note, the orginal Doc Marten boots had a Quilon leather - not knowing what that was I googled it and it described something similar that they use to prepare the leather. probably not good for any of us. as far as your process using parchment - you use the kind from the supermarket or do you buy sheets somewhere? do you use the same type for both pretreat heat and final ink press? thanks a lot. Cary in Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-R
Some parchment papers have a quilon coating. I don't use quilon parchment, I use regular parchment paper. I used to use a teflon sheet but it leaves the fabric shiny. It will wash out but I just don't like shipping a shirt looking like that.

Here is a bit of info on quilon coating. I got it off of a web site of a company that doesn't sell quilon parchment so take it or leave it because it is negative on quilon. But it should help you to understand what people are talking about.

"Many parchment papers are coated with quilon. Quilon is a chemical containing chrome – a heavy metal – which when incinerated becomes toxic and leaves trace elements. The reason for the majority of parchment paper to be quilon-coated is the cost, which is substantially lower than silicone. So, in order to be environmentally friendly, the paper should be silicone-coated."

Hope this helps some.

Brian

Old January 7th, 2016 Jan 7, 2016 3:51:04 AM -   #83 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Cary

Quote:
Originally Posted by casperboy77
Sean,

I am going to assume you are using the untreated quilon paper for the pretreating process bought from a DTG supplier? If you bought your paper at a restaurant supply (as I do), you have to make sure to buy the right paper. Don't ever buy the brown colored baking pan liners because those are terrible!

So What you want to do is pretreat your shirt. Then press your shirt with the uncoated paper on top of the garment using very heavy pressure and let it sit there for quite a while (Experiment 35-90 sec etc..) to dry the pretreatment. Open the press and remove the paper and the paper shouldn't stick too much. The paper should come of fairly easy. After removing the paper repress with the same heavy pressure (without paper) for a few seconds to get those fibers to mesh down (of course before repressing without paper you need to make sure the pretreatment is dry first).

Also try BelQuette's Treatsrite dark pretreatment. In the past I have used other pretreatments and know of a few pretreatments that were very sticky and had nothing but problems. The pretreatment that BelQuette sells is virtually flawless and not too expensive. Also Atlas Screen Supply sells and awesome pretreatment for colors on lights without using white ink called InstaColor. I'm not trying to confuse you but just letting you know of it. I know the stuff is expensive to just up and purchase another gallon from somewhere else but if by chance this is indeed your problem (pretreatment) then it might be better then trying to struggle through it. So let me clarify this for you and anyone else reading: Get Dark Pretreatment from BelQuette, for using white ink. You can also use this pretreatment on light colors and it doesn't show like other pretreatments do. You do not need to purchase light pretreatment when using this stuff but can if you truly wish. If you are going to print onto white or light colored shirts as you know you do not need pretreatment. However in my test the color doesn't hold as vibrantly in the shirt and also when printing black ink the ink may seep through the first layer of fabric and on to the surface of the other side of the shirt (on the inside of the shirt). To prevent the two problems I just mentioned on white and light colored shirts you can buy InstaColor from Atlas Screen Supply, it is very inexpensive and works great. Those are 2 pretreatments that you should keep on hand. In time it might not be a bad idea to purchase a gallon of Poly Pretreatment for polyester garments (I have never bought this yet but heard of people who swear by it for polyester). Oh and the Poly Pretreat is only for colors not white ink.

Lastly, make sure you are doing an underbase of 1440 and color pass at 720. Your underbase and color pass must match ex: cartoon underbase 1440 - cartoon color pass 720, never cartoon underbase and photo color pass or vice versa. This will help you with starting out, in time you'll figure out what to change.

I hope these couple pointers help you out and help get you on the right track. I was kind of vague as to not get too complicated. If your DTG was bought from a DTG dealer and you have a warranty, I strongly recommend you give them a call first.

Good luck! Keep us posted.
wondering if you describe the partchemtn you are purchasing from the restaurant supplies so I purchase the right kind . appreciate your suggestions! I am a newbie and trying to read as much as I can before my equipment comes. thanks

Old April 12th, 2016 Apr 12, 2016 12:44:59 AM -   #84 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydayz
The silicone will leave a layer of silicone on top of your pretreatment, and can make it to where the ink does not lie down correctly. When the silicone heats, it can transfer to the garment

Here a place you can get the Quilon paper 16" x 24" Quilon Parchment Paper Pan Liner 1000 / Case. They do use it also for cooking

Maybe I am wrong, but parchment paper with silicone is also bakery release paper that is used for bakery, right? So when we bake a bread using parchment paper the silicone will transfer to the bread?
I don't think the FDA would allow that. That doesn't make sense...?

Old October 24th, 2019 Oct 24, 2019 11:28:27 AM -   #85 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Does anybody press there shirt before pre treating it? I always have. Never had a fiber issue with any brand shirt.
I never rolled it after treating, nothing.

Old February 9th, 2020 Feb 9, 2020 8:48:46 PM -   #86 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Ryan

I haven't read through all of the posts so I could be repeating what others have offered.

I've had the same problem with the ugly fibers peeking through solid colors. This is a time consuming method but I've gotten pretty good results.

1. Lint roll print area. (not always necessary)

2. Pretreat garment

3. Heat press at 50lbs / 35 seconds with only the upper platen cover. This step is primarily to dry the pretreatment and to mash down the fibers. If on release you see the garment stick to the upper cover, then you need to wipe the cover so there is no residue from prior presses building up. This is a pain, but it's necessary.

4. Immediately repress the garment with parchment paper. 5 - 10 seconds. This step ensures that the fibers stay flat. You can even see a really smooth surface when viewing from the side.

5. If you stack the pretreated shirts before printing, be careful not to ruffle up the fibers.

6. When you load the shirt, do not rub the surface. Pat, pat, pat instead. Do not ruffle up the fibers.

7. Cure with parchment paper with lowest pressure setting.

Brushing or rolling never seemed to produce any results in regards to the fibers. Brushing and rolling does seem to help spread out the pretreat if you have an uneven spray pattern.

That's about it. It is time consuming. I only use this method when I have solid blocks of ink.

-Ryan

This is a discussion about Little Fibers Sticking Up Off Shirt any fix? that was posted in the DTG Pretreatment section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in