Little Fibers Sticking Up Off Shirt any fix? - Page 5 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Pretreatment
A section of the forum to discuss DTG Pretreatment machines, techniques, tips and suggestions.
Sponsored by Firebird Ink

Little Fibers Sticking Up Off Shirt any fix?

Like Tree5Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 9th, 2009 Oct 9, 2009 6:54:01 PM -   #61 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Little Fibers Sticking Up Off Shirt any fix?

Not that I want to bash a brand of shirts but I find hanes to really have alot of fibers that stick up. they are really soft but the fibers are a killer. does anyone else have this problem with this brand of shirt?

Thanks
April

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2009 Oct 9, 2009 9:20:22 PM -   #62 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Brian
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffyh64
Not that I want to bash a brand of shirts but I find hanes to really have alot of fibers that stick up. they are really soft but the fibers are a killer. does anyone else have this problem with this brand of shirt?

Thanks
April
Yep. That's why I don't use Hanes. I use Port & Company or Port Authority usually. Somethimes I get a customer who thinks that Hanes is the top of the line and wants it but I talk them out of it. I have a couple dozen Hanes in stock and I use them as test print shirts. In my opinion that's about all they are good for.

The Following User Says Thank You to Brian-R For This Useful Post:
Justin Walker (December 29th, 2009)
Old October 10th, 2009 Oct 10, 2009 4:43:29 PM -   #63 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I bought the Hanes for the deep navy for a fire dept. Does anyone know where to find a really deep navy almost black color t-shirt?

thanks
April

Old January 25th, 2010 Jan 25, 2010 7:32:21 PM -   #64 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydayz
Haha that is too funny ok a little part of pretreating that maybe got overlooked hehe. I will tell you how I do it. First I apply a light mist of distilled water (with a spray bottle set to mist) this little trick will make sure you dont have any box from the pretreatment. Then I spray the pretreatment on going side to side and up and down but not too much. Then I use a boar bristle paint brush and I brush all the fibers in a down direction. I only brush down and no other direction. Then after I brush down and make sure my pretreatment is even, I heat press for around 10 seconds with quilan parchment paper, take off the paper and press another 10 seconds. Then I am ready to print There are 2 reasons you want to brush the pretreatment into the shirt. 1. you want your pretreatment even and by brushing you can make sure it is evenly distributed. 2. lol to make sure the fibers are flattened down so they dont stick up thru the print.

And dont feel bad you didnt know because it is amazing some of the smallest details that can make a difference and that get overlooked, and look you gave me a big smile in the process

Let me know how this works for you.
Very informative indeed. Just a few additional questions...

When you're pressing for 10 seconds, are you actually "pressing" or "hovering" with the heat press? Also, once you have already pre-treated your shirt and ran it through the DTG machine, do you "press it" or "hover" with your heat press? How long for either?

-Thanks

Old January 30th, 2010 Jan 30, 2010 11:16:08 AM -   #65 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Dan
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

In both cases, pre treat and curing, I have seen/read that it's not necessary to apply the full clamp down. One distributor said to just have enough pressure on it so that the paper cannot be pulled out easily. In essence, no smashing required, especially on the curing. Imagine if using a heavy application of ink on a dark shirt (much like what happens when you need a very bright white on your black tee. If you were to use the CLAMP DOWN, it may
1, smash out your ink outside of it's intended area,
2, get picked up and adhere to the paper or rubber blanket.

Old January 30th, 2010 Jan 30, 2010 12:50:28 PM -   #66 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot-tone
In both cases, pre treat and curing, I have seen/read that it's not necessary to apply the full clamp down. One distributor said to just have enough pressure on it so that the paper cannot be pulled out easily. In essence, no smashing required, especially on the curing. Imagine if using a heavy application of ink on a dark shirt (much like what happens when you need a very bright white on your black tee. If you were to use the CLAMP DOWN, it may
1, smash out your ink outside of it's intended area,
2, get picked up and adhere to the paper or rubber blanket.
Another issue when too much pressure is used, is that it does not allow the steam to escape and can cause an uneven cure. Since the inks are water based, the steam needs to be able to escape and not get trapped in the shirt. With less pressure it allows the steam to leave the press.

ZivZulander, I am not sure if you got my pm or not but when I dry the pretreat and cure, I use very light pressure. I think I have my hotronix press set at 2. Just to that the press closes. On the drying of the pretreatment, I first press 10 seconds with the Quillan parchment, and then open take the paper out, and press another ten seconds without.

Old April 29th, 2010 Apr 29, 2010 8:51:43 AM -   #67 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Just curious, why do you need quilon for pretreatment & silicone for ink cure? What effect will the silicone have on the pretreatment? I have found an great source for 16" x 16" 35# silicon sheets, but they don't have that size with quilon coating, mainly because it is not really safe for cooking & does put out chemicals when heated. Thanks!

Old April 29th, 2010 Apr 29, 2010 9:43:22 AM -   #68 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

The silicone will leave a layer of silicone on top of your pretreatment, and can make it to where the ink does not lie down correctly. When the silicone heats, it can transfer to the garment

Here a place you can get the Quilon paper 16" x 24" Quilon Parchment Paper Pan Liner 1000 / Case. They do use it also for cooking

Old April 29th, 2010 Apr 29, 2010 10:06:27 AM -   #69 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thank you BobbieLee, I searched further in the thread & found the answer, after I posted that.

Thanks also for the link. I have found lots of sites that have the baking sheet sizes & am trying to find the square pizza sizes so there isn't as much waste, our image is area is 14" x 16", so really don't want to go beyond the 16" square. If I have good look finding a company, I will post it.

Old April 29th, 2010 Apr 29, 2010 1:01:34 PM -   #70 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I have found that the large sheets work well, I guess because I have the 16 x 20 heat press. But sometimes I also cut them down to the size of the image, whether its cutting the sheets in half or quarters. Remember the paper only needs to cover your print area

Old November 9th, 2010 Nov 9, 2010 3:14:30 PM -   #71 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Jim

Quote:
For the pretreatment, you need the uncoated parchment which is called Quillan, and for curing your ink you need the silicone coated parchement.

Here is the place where I get the quillan 019010 / QG251624 Mcnairn 16.38x24.38 25# Quillon Sheets 1000, and here is a place you can get the silicone treated Exopap Silicone Double Face Baking Paper. Both of these are large sheets that fit 16 x 20 heat presses and the silicone sheets are double side coated, so you can use either side.

I have seen some silicone sheets that come coated on only one side, so be careful of this.

Both of the places I have listed though are really great prices and will last a while

I went to order from Kitchenware | Bakeware | Copper Cookware for the silicone baking paper and they are out of stock. Do you have any other suggestions or places that I can order it from? I like their price of $48.00 something in a comparable price range would be great. Thanks!

Old January 16th, 2011 Jan 16, 2011 12:00:12 PM -   #72 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Howard

is there a way to get a hold of you so we can talk directly?

Old January 17th, 2011 Jan 17, 2011 8:47:14 AM -   #73 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jo

Yes - call me at 620-662-6898 (work number). I am here till 5:30pm Central Time.

- Jo

Old January 25th, 2011 Jan 25, 2011 4:07:12 PM -   #74 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jim

Quote:
Haha that is too funny ok a little part of pretreating that maybe got overlooked hehe. I will tell you how I do it. First I apply a light mist of distilled water (with a spray bottle set to mist) this little trick will make sure you dont have any box from the pretreatment. Then I spray the pretreatment on going side to side and up and down but not too much. Then I use a boar bristle paint brush and I brush all the fibers in a down direction. I only brush down and no other direction. Then after I brush down and make sure my pretreatment is even, I heat press for around 10 seconds with quilan parchment paper, take off the paper and press another 10 seconds. Then I am ready to print There are 2 reasons you want to brush the pretreatment into the shirt. 1. you want your pretreatment even and by brushing you can make sure it is evenly distributed. 2. lol to make sure the fibers are flattened down so they dont stick up thru the print.

And dont feel bad you didnt know because it is amazing some of the smallest details that can make a difference and that get overlooked, and look you gave me a big smile in the process

Let me know how this works for you.
I used your recommendation with applying a mist spay using distilled water before spaying the Pretreatment and it really helped...no more box of pretreatment

THANKS

Old March 17th, 2011 Mar 17, 2011 2:39:57 PM -   #75 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Laurie

We are new to the DTG printing world.
We are using the brush method when we are doin the pretreat.
Recently we have had a bit of fading(after wash)but also the pics are not printing on the shirt as vivid as they did when we first started.
I was wondering COULD IT BE OUR BRUSH?
Our brush is very course it's pretty big.
It's more like a little broom if you ask me.
What would be the best brushes to use?
We live on Kauai and don't have a lot of selection.
I would appreciate the input.
We got a big event comin up APRIL2nd it will make or brake us and I don't wanna fail.
As we say in Hawaii MAHALO(thank you)

This is a discussion about Little Fibers Sticking Up Off Shirt any fix? that was posted in the DTG Pretreatment section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in