Little Fibers Sticking Up Off Shirt any fix? - Page 4 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Pretreatment
A section of the forum to discuss DTG Pretreatment machines, techniques, tips and suggestions.
Sponsored by Firebird Ink

Little Fibers Sticking Up Off Shirt any fix?

Like Tree5Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 7th, 2009 Jul 7, 2009 5:43:36 AM -   #46 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Little Fibers Sticking Up Off Shirt any fix?

what is quilon sheet? I use a tefolon sheet for pre-treatment and parchment paper for curing. Is this wrong?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2009 Jul 7, 2009 5:45:22 AM -   #47 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

do You pretreat until you see snow? I think that is too much pretreatment?

Old July 7th, 2009 Jul 7, 2009 3:14:19 PM -   #48 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Brian
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffyh64
what is quilon sheet? I use a tefolon sheet for pre-treatment and parchment paper for curing. Is this wrong?
Some parchment papers have a quilon coating. I don't use quilon parchment, I use regular parchment paper. I used to use a teflon sheet but it leaves the fabric shiny. It will wash out but I just don't like shipping a shirt looking like that.

Here is a bit of info on quilon coating. I got it off of a web site of a company that doesn't sell quilon parchment so take it or leave it because it is negative on quilon. But it should help you to understand what people are talking about.

"Many parchment papers are coated with quilon. Quilon is a chemical containing chrome – a heavy metal – which when incinerated becomes toxic and leaves trace elements. The reason for the majority of parchment paper to be quilon-coated is the cost, which is substantially lower than silicone. So, in order to be environmentally friendly, the paper should be silicone-coated."

Hope this helps some.

Brian

Old July 10th, 2009 Jul 10, 2009 4:27:31 AM -   #49 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Wie

by the way, does a DTG printed shirt should need a special treatment when washing it? inside out washing? no brush and no rub? what are the recomended washing technique? I heard that wrong way to wash can affect fibrillation. is that right?

Old July 10th, 2009 Jul 10, 2009 5:45:07 AM -   #50 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffyh64
do You pretreat until you see snow? I think that is too much pretreatment?

I have done this numerous times and get good results. It may be too much Pre Treatment but it works. I would rather over pre treat than under pre treat. When you under pre treat, you can waste ink, shirts, pre treatment & time, because of the white not being as bold as you wanted. Too much pre treatment waste pre treatment. That's not so bad, but it can affect your washability in some cases. Also, after you spray on the pre treatment and wipe it away (left to right) the snow goes away.

Old July 10th, 2009 Jul 10, 2009 7:56:20 AM -   #51 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

You also have to remember that too much pretreatment can be just as bad as not enough in your wash results. If there is too much your ink can peel and flake off. Just something to keep in mind

The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydayz For This Useful Post:
Arthustle (March 1st, 2016)
Old July 10th, 2009 Jul 10, 2009 8:21:23 AM -   #52 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Dan

In support of Sunnydayz' comment - I just had a comment from a customer that the left chest on a black shirt was peeling and the full back was still fine. I know I put more pretreatment on the front than the back when I did this job since it is harder to just spray a little in a small area. If you are seeing "snow" it is probably too much.

Old September 4th, 2009 Sep 4, 2009 8:48:03 AM -   #53 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydayz
Here is a link to the brush I use Wooster White Fancy, its actually called china bristle but its the same as a boar bristle brush pretty much. The way I brush the fibers is straight down, and no other direction. I have tried the foam brushes and rollers before and they fibers seem to stick to them more therefore pulling the fibers up, so that they are not laying flat.

With the brush it makes the fibers lay down nice and flat, by brushing them straight down. I have found this to work the best for me, along with the light mist of distilled water first before spraying pretreatment, and then using the quilan paper on top to dry the pretreat for 10 seconds, removing paper and then pressing another 10 seconds without anything on top of the shirt. Hope this helps

Hey there, I am a serious newby. I have a question about the Quilan paper. Can I use parchment paper when doing the pretreatment? How many times can I use a sheet? Can I use the same paper for pressing that I used for pretreatment? Sorry to overwhelm with questions. Thank you for your help.

Old September 7th, 2009 Sep 7, 2009 4:31:07 PM -   #54 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tville
Hey there, I am a serious newby. I have a question about the Quilan paper. Can I use parchment paper when doing the pretreatment? How many times can I use a sheet? Can I use the same paper for pressing that I used for pretreatment? Sorry to overwhelm with questions. Thank you for your help.
I reuse parchment paper a few times. After a few pressings my parchment starts getting ripples in it that transfer to the shirt when pressing.

I use a different piece of parchment for pretreat than I do for curing. I don't know if it is necessary or not.

Brian

Old September 7th, 2009 Sep 7, 2009 5:18:58 PM -   #55 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Hi

I use telephon sheets to pre-treat shirts.

Old September 7th, 2009 Sep 7, 2009 6:12:00 PM -   #56 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

For the pretreatment, you need the uncoated parchment which is called Quillan, and for curing your ink you need the silicone coated parchement.

Here is the place where I get the quillan 019010 / QG251624 Mcnairn 16.38x24.38 25# Quillon Sheets 1000, and here is a place you can get the silicone treated Exopap Silicone Double Face Baking Paper. Both of these are large sheets that fit 16 x 20 heat presses and the silicone sheets are double side coated, so you can use either side.

I have seen some silicone sheets that come coated on only one side, so be careful of this.

Both of the places I have listed though are really great prices and will last a while

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnydayz For This Useful Post:
Justin Walker (December 29th, 2009), v8supersurf (September 13th, 2009)
Old September 14th, 2009 Sep 14, 2009 3:00:23 PM -   #57 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thanks, y'all. I appreciate your advice.

Old September 14th, 2009 Sep 14, 2009 3:02:35 PM -   #58 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Sunnydayz,
What does the regular parchment do to the pre-treated shirt?

Old September 14th, 2009 Sep 14, 2009 3:11:54 PM -   #59 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You want to use the Quillan because it is uncoated. The silicone treated paper can cause a film of silicone to adhere to the shirt if used with pretreatment, and could cause ink binding problems. So it is important to use the proper paper, for the proper process. The Quillan is much cheaper then the silicone treated paper. Its about half the price when buying the large bulk amounts. The Quillan comes in boxes of 1000, while the silicone coated comes in boxes of 500. You only want to use the silicone treated with curing the ink

Old September 14th, 2009 Sep 14, 2009 4:43:16 PM -   #60 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Could you please post a pic of something you have done using these 2 papers. I would like to see the diffrence between what you have printed and what I have printed. Something on a black or dark background would be great. Using these papers do you get better white coverage?

Thanks
April

This is a discussion about Little Fibers Sticking Up Off Shirt any fix? that was posted in the DTG Pretreatment section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in