Little Fibers Sticking Up Off Shirt any fix? - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Pretreatment
A section of the forum to discuss DTG Pretreatment machines, techniques, tips and suggestions.
Sponsored by Firebird Ink

Little Fibers Sticking Up Off Shirt any fix?

Like Tree5Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old December 5th, 2008 Dec 5, 2008 7:37:34 AM -   #31 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: LousMom
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Little Fibers Sticking Up Off Shirt any fix?

I prepress all my garments about 10 seconds before printing...this will help lay down the fibers on the light garments.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2008 Dec 5, 2008 11:55:49 AM -   #32 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jo

thanks, seems to be working.

Old December 5th, 2008 Dec 5, 2008 12:45:36 PM -   #33 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-R
O.K. BobbieLee

You have described how you reduce fibrillation on dark garments but do you have a way to reduce the effect on light fabrics?

Brian
Brian,

I would try prepressing and see if it works. Depending on the brand of shirt I am printing on and how fuzzy they are determine a few things for me. One is if it is too fuzzy I will use the fast color pretreat. Another is that I will give a heavier coat of ink. It seems that if the ink is not printed heavy enough, you get more fibrillation. I think it is because if its light, it doesn't coat the fibers completely.

Old December 10th, 2008 Dec 10, 2008 10:08:28 AM -   #34 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jack

You are pre-treating the way I do, except for one part. I brush in the left to right motion because that is the direction the printhead prints.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jpage For This Useful Post:
Florimonte (December 10th, 2008)
Old December 10th, 2008 Dec 10, 2008 8:07:39 PM -   #35 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Thomas

I've followed BobbieLee's guidelines for everything and it's worked just like she said. Give her a reward. She knows her stuff. I will try Jpage idea about pressing down left to right (in the directing of the moving printhead). Sounds like a very logical idea. Thanks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Florimonte For This Useful Post:
colorfinger (April 16th, 2009), sunnydayz (December 10th, 2008)
Old May 5th, 2009 May 5, 2009 5:07:58 AM -   #36 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Dan

Thank you, I was reading through old dtg posts and a few of yours have been very helpful particularly your pre-treating process. Many Thanks, Dan

Old May 17th, 2009 May 17, 2009 7:07:29 AM -   #37 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Just wandering what is the best temperature used for pre-treated t-shirt?

Old May 17th, 2009 May 17, 2009 10:44:44 AM -   #38 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
Just wandering what is the best temperature used for pre-treated t-shirt?
Just treat the preatreatment at the same temp you are curing shirts. You don't have to fool around with changing temps on the heat press. All you are doing is drying it. I know there are some who air dry the pretreat.

If you are asking what temp to cure shirts that will depend on what ink you are using. And even at that you will find people using different temps on the same inks so my recommendation is that you should contact your supplier for cure times and temps.
But we are here to help so tell us what ink you are using and those who use that ink will tell you how they are curing it.
I would also recommend that you take steps to ensure that your heat press temps are accurate. Buy a good heat probe. A few degrees off will make a huge difference in washability. When my press was new the temp on the LED was way off (I think it was about 6 degrees or so).

Brian

Old May 18th, 2009 May 18, 2009 5:42:58 AM -   #39 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I am using dupont CMYK ink and dupont pretreatment that i bought them from directdigitalsupply last month, and usually I am curing the shirt at 330 F for 60 secs. I pre-treated the shirt almost the same with bobbie lee way. The result is quite good. Just want to know what others are using for cured temp and how long. I know dupont pretreatment is not good enough according to what lazographics said but I haven't tried it yet to leave the white pretreated shirt out in the sun for the whole day.

Last edited by noodle; May 18th, 2009 at 06:00 AM..

Old May 18th, 2009 May 18, 2009 5:58:08 AM -   #40 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I am using Dupont Inks and Pre-treatment also, from Belquette. I get awesome results with my white inks and color. I have my press set at 350 on med/high pressure. For pretreatment I usually press until most of it evaporates. Then I flip the quilon sheet over and heat press again for five to ten seconds. I found this method to work great! No fibers sticking up at all. Yea its a little more time consuming but I don't waste a shirt, ink or time when the fibers do stick up because I havent pressed long enough.

Old May 18th, 2009 May 18, 2009 6:11:16 AM -   #41 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Usually how long it will evaporates completely? 10 secs? is it ok if i do it more than 10 secs for the first press on the pretreated shirt?

Old May 18th, 2009 May 18, 2009 6:23:25 AM -   #42 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I can't tell you the exact time I heat press. It varies so much, with the design I'm printing, to the shirt color, type, thread count. Depends on a lot of things. The best way to figure it out is to just read these forums, get an idea of what you need to do, and go try it and experiment using different settings and pre-treatment levels. You will find the best way!

Old May 18th, 2009 May 18, 2009 6:44:44 AM -   #43 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Yes ok let me play some experiments, thanks anyway

Old July 5th, 2009 Jul 5, 2009 10:39:17 PM -   #44 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Wie

so to minimize fibrillation, we can lay more ink when printing. how about removing these little fibers first before printing? is there any way to do that? I think if we just lay these little fibers down with heat pressing or using pretreatment, we can't minimize fibrillation.

Old July 7th, 2009 Jul 7, 2009 12:03:50 AM -   #45 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zy_lord
so to minimize fibrillation, we can lay more ink when printing. how about removing these little fibers first before printing? is there any way to do that? I think if we just lay these little fibers down with heat pressing or using pretreatment, we can't minimize fibrillation.
There is no way that I know of to remove the fibers. They are the shirt. The shirt is made up of short pieces of cotton fiber and the ends of those short pieces are what is popping up.
Laying them down by heat pressing may help a little but that isn't the answer either.
Dumping a bunch of ink on the shirt isn't what you want to do either. That is probably why dark shirts using white ink have less of a problem but you don't want the added expense and time of pouring a heavy layer of ink on shirts that don't need it.
Pretreatment may or may not do much for fibrilation.

The best thing that I have found to fight fibrilation is to use extremely light pressure when curing. And I mean extremely light pressure. Go as light as your heat press can go and still stay closed. You don't need pressure to cure these inks. Some shops cure in a conveyor dryer.

Try this, print two exact shirts. Cure one at medium pressure and cure the other at almost no pressure. Use the same print settings, time and temp. Make sure that you mark the shirts with a permanent marker so you will know which is which later. Wash them and see the results. Then come back and report in this thread.

For time and temp your best bet is to go with the manufacturers specs. If you have issues with those times and temps then make adjustments from there. If you don't know what the recommended numbers are ask the person you buy ink from. And I will go out on a limb here and say that if you do have issues using the recommended temp then you may have an inaccurate temp guage on your press. Even new presses can be off and a few degrees can make a huge difference.

Brian

Last edited by Brian-R; July 7th, 2009 at 12:14 AM..

This is a discussion about Little Fibers Sticking Up Off Shirt any fix? that was posted in the DTG Pretreatment section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in