Little Fibers Sticking Up Off Shirt any fix? - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Pretreatment
A section of the forum to discuss DTG Pretreatment machines, techniques, tips and suggestions.
Sponsored by Firebird Ink

Little Fibers Sticking Up Off Shirt any fix?

Like Tree5Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 17th, 2008 Jul 17, 2008 4:51:06 AM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Marc
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Little Fibers Sticking Up Off Shirt any fix?

You can get them online. It is just a standard 3" paint brush made with boar bristles. Lowes does not carry them, but any nice china bristle brush will work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 7th, 2008 Aug 7, 2008 11:22:58 AM -   #17 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenjie
You could also try using a different brand of t-shirt. Ringspuns seem less prone to fibres sticking out.

I've found a t-shirt that doesn't require any more brushing of the pretreament. Also silky smooth and the white ink just loves pool (so now I drop it back to 720dpi layer, less ink, better washability).
Wow, what t-shirt brand would that be? Please share I'm not that pleased with Gildan 2000.

Old August 7th, 2008 Aug 7, 2008 2:59:19 PM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Ted

That is by far the trickiest part of printing. The press must be held down until the paper lift off when you open the press.

Old August 22nd, 2008 Aug 22, 2008 2:41:10 AM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

I'm new in this area....Where can i get the pretreatment spray? How does the spray look like?
Many thanks in advance.

Old August 22nd, 2008 Aug 22, 2008 2:16:28 PM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Zhen

Do you have a DTG printer talibt? If so, which one and which company did you buy it from?
You pretreatment from your machine distributor. If you dont know where to get or what it looks like I think you need to ask your distributor for some training!

Old August 24th, 2008 Aug 24, 2008 5:33:04 AM -   #21 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

thanks for the reply zhenjie....I just bought the new heat press....as I read through this forum .....I realise to get good quality......pretreatment spray should do wonder. At the moment the distributor doesn't understand what is pretreatment spray.. If you happen to find the spray distributor please reply. thks.

Old August 24th, 2008 Aug 24, 2008 9:43:18 AM -   #22 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: John

Quote:
Originally Posted by talibt
thanks for the reply zhenjie....I just bought the new heat press....as I read through this forum .....I realise to get good quality......pretreatment spray should do wonder. At the moment the distributor doesn't understand what is pretreatment spray.. If you happen to find the spray distributor please reply. thks.
Talibt, You don't need to pretreat if your just heat pressing. The pretreatment is only for Direct To Garment printing.
John

The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle John For This Useful Post:
talibt (August 31st, 2008)
Old September 24th, 2008 Sep 24, 2008 3:57:25 PM -   #23 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Okay I also don't know what a boar bristle brush is eaither, but i use a foam roller for pushing down the fibers. I do everything you say to do except for the misting distilled water, but still I get the little fibers sticking up. Even tried changing the brands of shirts I use and still the same little fibers sticking up. Thanks

Kenny

Old September 25th, 2008 Sep 25, 2008 2:48:24 PM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Thomas

Hey BobbieLee-

When you say "What direction are you brushing your pretreatment in? are you brushing all one direction?"- Do you mean with the grain of the shirt or against it? Neck down or sleeve to sleeve? Or to you, does it matter?

Thanks

Thomas @ Ka-Blam

Old September 25th, 2008 Sep 25, 2008 8:54:52 PM -   #25 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

Here is a link to the brush I use Wooster White Fancy, its actually called china bristle but its the same as a boar bristle brush pretty much. The way I brush the fibers is straight down, and no other direction. I have tried the foam brushes and rollers before and they fibers seem to stick to them more therefore pulling the fibers up, so that they are not laying flat.

With the brush it makes the fibers lay down nice and flat, by brushing them straight down. I have found this to work the best for me, along with the light mist of distilled water first before spraying pretreatment, and then using the quilan paper on top to dry the pretreat for 10 seconds, removing paper and then pressing another 10 seconds without anything on top of the shirt. Hope this helps

The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydayz For This Useful Post:
colorfinger (April 16th, 2009)
Old September 28th, 2008 Sep 28, 2008 8:04:41 AM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Thomas

Thanks BobbieLee-
I dropped into my local Lowes and they carry the Wooster White China Bristle brushes in quite a few sizes. The 4" was $14 and the 3" is $13. I grabbed a 4 incher and will give it a try tomorrow. I was using a rubbery roller but if BobbieLee says go with the bursh- we should go with the brush .
But on other question- How much pressureare you applying to the shirt with the brush. I know you are tring to flatten down the fibers but might you be pushing the pre-treat through the shirt (to the other side).

Thanks again everybody! I'm having a great time getting this up-and-running! With all the GREAT advice here, yall are making it so us Noobs, don't make over costly mistakes- THANKS!!! Shirts-on-demand will be a great product/item to add to our line of comic stuff over at Ka-Blam.

Thomas @ Ka-Blam

Old October 24th, 2008 Oct 24, 2008 5:03:16 PM -   #27 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Ok...brushing aside, you shouldn't be having this issue unless it's shirt material related. Be sure to use a high cotton content garment.

I think, though, that maybe you're having an issue possibly with underbase? It's a tricky balance with dtg printing, but for dark shirts, direct to garment needs an pretreat as well as an underbase...but too much underbase or not enough dry time, and you're going to flake off.

We learned a lot about our printer (you have to make friends with your direct to garment printing machine!) by doing each process slowly and introducing different variables including time, heat, number of passes, etc. Now we actually fulfill and ship for some online companies and advise others.

good luck.

Last edited by dmfelder; October 25th, 2008 at 09:24 AM..

Old December 2nd, 2008 Dec 2, 2008 11:55:14 AM -   #28 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jo

Does anyone have notes on drying the pretreatment, or even the ink for that matter under a convention belt oven? We are mainly a screen printing business that just got in a fast t-jet 2 and we are tring to get this thing to work. As far as notes about belt drying, there is about zero. There was also nothing about brushing the pretreat, so thanks for the tip on that one.

Old December 3rd, 2008 Dec 3, 2008 4:27:23 AM -   #29 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshirtjo
Does anyone have notes on drying the pretreatment, or even the ink for that matter under a convention belt oven?
Pretreatment is used when you are printing with white ink and I think you will have to press the shirts to cure them as the pressure is a vital part of the process.

Chris

Old December 3rd, 2008 Dec 3, 2008 11:12:38 AM -   #30 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Brian

O.K. BobbieLee

You have described how you reduce fibrilation on dark garments but do you have a way to reduce the effect on light fabrics?

Brian

This is a discussion about Little Fibers Sticking Up Off Shirt any fix? that was posted in the DTG Pretreatment section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in