If you could print DTG to a polyester/synthetic shirt, which ones would you use? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Inks
Discuss the various inks available for direct to garment printers. Wash tests, pictures and comparisons are all welcome.

If you could print DTG to a polyester/synthetic shirt, which ones would you use?

Like Tree2Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 13th, 2014 Jan 13, 2014 9:37:52 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Andrew
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default If you could print DTG to a polyester/synthetic shirt, which ones would you use?

FIREBIRD Ink is interested in learning what polyester fabrics folks are attempting to print onto without success (ie. Gildan 50-50 Safety Orange).

It would be really helpful to know which kinds (brand, compositions, etc.) of shirts people have gotten requests for, so that R&D can be conducted to advance DTG Ink technology for more customizable apparel.

Last edited by FIREBIRDandrew; January 13th, 2014 at 12:14 PM..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2014 Jan 13, 2014 9:42:57 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Boguslaw
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default Re: If you could print DTG to a polyester/synthetic shirt, which ones would you use?

Performance sport wear. So everything that is done with sublimation and then sewn together. There is a big market for this.

Old January 13th, 2014 Jan 13, 2014 5:07:35 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: zaq

Default Re: If you could print DTG to a polyester/synthetic shirt, which ones would you use?

Poly blends. Especially tri blends and 50/50's from American Apparel, Next Level, Bella, and Alternative. All of these companies also have hoodies and sweatshirts in these fabrics. Would really love to be able to print on those without worry of wash fastness.

Old January 19th, 2014 Jan 19, 2014 8:52:26 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Don

FYI, triblends from AA already print and wash awesome.. Shouldnt have an issue with them. Real expensive though!

Old January 28th, 2014 Jan 28, 2014 5:52:21 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Dan

We get a lot of requests to print on 100% poly wicking and compression shirts. Brands like Nike and Under armor. Currently we only use vinyl / stretch vinyl for these items (or sublimation if it is a white shirt).

Old July 1st, 2014 Jul 1, 2014 8:54:01 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Ken
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I recently spoke to someone using FB ink that was getting fantastic results on White and black New Balance 7000.
Any one else try these with DTG?

Old July 1st, 2014 Jul 1, 2014 10:44:02 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Eric Deem
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

50/50's are not that big of an issue depending on the brand. I have printed some amazing shirts on American Apparel 50/50.

We need white ink for 100% poly to be possible...that is the biggest hurdle it seems at the moment.

-New Balance
-Nike
-Asics
-Under Armor
-Zorrel

The Following User Says Thank You to EricDeem For This Useful Post:
FIREBIRDandrew (July 2nd, 2014)
Old July 2nd, 2014 Jul 2, 2014 4:13:51 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Ken
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

We have a new product on the horizon and will include testing on dry-fit poly and 50/50's and other similar products and hopefully post results shortly.
The real key is to test in common environment conditions using standard heat press and parchment paper and not just perfect world scenarios with convection tunnel dryers.
Will keep you posted

Old August 11th, 2016 Aug 11, 2016 11:50:54 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Felipe

Relatively new to this, and looking to get into polyester performance wear due to customer demand. I know dtg has always struggled with white ink on poly, but has any advancement been made? We've been printing on 50/50s for a while and some tri-blends but more and more requests for dark polyester with moisture wicking and such. Is there any chance of this happening, or should I look into another process?

Old March 9th, 2017 Mar 9, 2017 10:05:35 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

The only way the we have found to print on darker garments that are 100%poly is to use poly pretreat and dtg-w pretreat. use the polly first. If you are only printing on a light 100% poly shirt just use poly tretreat first and it will not fade using DTG
kaotte likes this.

Old April 10th, 2017 Apr 10, 2017 11:00:55 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Kim

I was wondering if this topic had been updated at all. I am a newbie to DTG and was wondering the same as I have a client wanting printing done on multiple colors of 100% poly shirts for "fishing shirts" I just ordered the poly pretreat and I have the other pretreat as well. Any pointers of how to accomplish a great pretreat for this to stick?

Old April 10th, 2017 Apr 10, 2017 11:37:47 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Jackie

Will this work with the Epson F2000 inks?

Old April 13th, 2017 Apr 13, 2017 9:17:29 AM -   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Kim

So is the Image Armor Light pretreatment specifically for polyester? Is it also compatible with the "other" companies inks for DTG. ie Epson, anajet etc? What is the process for pretreatment? I read somewhere that someone was pretreating with a poly pretreat and then after drying using a regular pretreat before printing. I know stuff has to have come a long way since some of these threads were running but I would definitely love to know more about other options of pretreatments. I am a newbie of course.

Old September 26th, 2017 Sep 26, 2017 5:36:30 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Robert

We print with the Epson F2000 on Poly.

Old September 27th, 2017 Sep 27, 2017 3:53:28 AM -   #15 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,068 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotte
So is the Image Armor Light pretreatment specifically for polyester? Is it also compatible with the "other" companies inks for DTG. ie Epson, anajet etc? What is the process for pretreatment? I read somewhere that someone was pretreating with a poly pretreat and then after drying using a regular pretreat before printing. I know stuff has to have come a long way since some of these threads were running but I would definitely love to know more about other options of pretreatments. I am a newbie of course.

The Image Armor Light Pretreatment can be used for white ink prints on light color 100% and 50/50 garments. It also works great for 100% polyester white or light color shirts with CMYK prints.

_

This is a discussion about If you could print DTG to a polyester/synthetic shirt, which ones would you use? that was posted in the DTG Inks section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in