[DTG Brand] clogged print head - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Brand
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future DTG Brand garment printer owners.

[DTG Brand] clogged print head

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 20th, 2019 Feb 20, 2019 5:15:39 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default clogged print head

Looking for help in managing my 2018 DTG M2 printer.

After 3 months the print head got clogged. I thought it was defective but the Epson print head have no warranty.
I could accept I did something wrong but would have appreciated to be guided by the vendor to avoid repeating such mistake. No clues.
I bought and changed the print head.

Since we have started a new business the usage of the machine is not regular but to avoid problems I have been using the printer every week day and have printed a couple of designs each day as cumbersome as it can be. The machine was cleaned as per the instructions every time.
Stopped the printer during my summer break and flushed it. No issue when I restarded the machine 6 weeks later.

Did the same for the Xmas break but this time the machine did not restart properly. Colors came out but not the white ink. After multiple short, long, deep, intense unsuccessful head cleaning I was directed to flush the head with the DTG flush solution.

Result is now that the head is clogged and I have to replace again this expensive piece of machinery. Beyond the money what bothers me is that I do not know how to manage my printer and only keep feeling shaky when I press the start button in the morning for my routine nozzle check.

I have read numerous posts on print head clogging issues and especially Epson's. the vendor tells me that the white ink technology is sensitive. Sure it is.

I am looking for advice and hope in this dark tunnel where the toll is expensive and taking over me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2019 Mar 6, 2019 5:32:02 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Default Re: clogged print head

Try using a cotton makeup pad soaked with windex between the capping station and the print head overnight. It is possible there is air leaking into the area and causing you grief. Also make sure to keep your ink levels beyond half as the lower portion (even with wims) tends to hole heavy clog making particles.

Old March 6th, 2019 Mar 6, 2019 5:43:10 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thanks for taking the time to answer my query. The head is definitely clogged and needs replacement. Really bothers me given the high cost and the no warranty situation with Epson.
I have questioned the printer vendor about a possible air leak at the capping station level. I am waiting for their answer. Keeping high ink levels is something I had been informed about. My key concern is not to be slave to the machine whenever I do not use it for a few days and not be stressed every time I start the printer.

Kind regards
claude

Old March 6th, 2019 Mar 6, 2019 7:13:24 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Are you sure you've not had a head strike? That's what kills my Epson based DTG printheads rather than bad maintenance or a machine fault.

Old March 6th, 2019 Mar 6, 2019 8:01:09 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Arrow Re: clogged print head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadZebedee
Are you sure you've not had a head strike? That's what kills my Epson based DTG printheads rather than bad maintenance or a machine fault.
Thanks for your message. Nice to feel people around.
I am pretty sure the head never touched down. It is really the resting time and trying to restart that killed it.
Are you still using Epson heads or did you try something else?
I saw a compatible Mutoh head. any experience with this?

Kind regards
Claude

Old March 6th, 2019 Mar 6, 2019 8:15:38 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I'm still on Epson heads. I didn't realise there was any other option. Plus I've been going through the supplier for support. My DTG machine is based on the Epson p800.

Old 3 Weeks Ago Mar 25, 2019 5:34:25 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

How do you know the printhead is clogged? I see so many posts on here that the first thing people do when they are not getting ink is automatically thought the printhead is clogged.

Your dampers might be clogged. Your capping station might not be working properly. There are many ways to check this before you buy a printhead.
It takes 5 to 6 times in my experience to charge the dampers with long cleanings. Before they are charged. You can remove the dampers, turn them upside down and shoot some flushing solution into the dampers while squeezing the spring. if it is coming out the other end it is not clogged. Keep flushing them until they are clean and put them back in.
I assumed from the statement above you removed the printhead and shot flushing solution into the posts on the top. If it is cascading out of the bottom of the printhead, it is not clogged.

Take a syringe and suck out ink from the waste tubes on the bottom of the capping station. If you are not getting ink or there is not an effort to pull the syringe your capping station is not sealed or is not sucking ink properly.

If you have no issues and your still not getting ink then you have another issue. If your printhead was allowing the flushing solution to come thru then it is not your printhead.

I have had an M2 for seven years. I leave it parked on the weekend. I have never once had a printhead clog.

I'm sorry to say but if you do not use this machine it is going to be a problem. Not just doing a nozzle check a day or printing one thing and leaving it. This machine is not for part-time use. If you just have a small part time gig after work then transfers or something much less consuming is better.

Having a DTG is like having a baby. It is consuming, to say the least. I just came back from a trade show and watched guy after guy sell DTG's to people but do not even scratch the surface of what is involved.
It is nowhere near as easy as they make it sound. Even if you follow the recommended steps for daily cleaning it is not close to what you need to really do.

Sorry, I get frustrated with the printing industry because of this. I see so many people spending thousands to replace parts that they don't need to right away.

Old 3 Weeks Ago Mar 26, 2019 2:57:41 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thank you very much for your message. You are very right when you talk of the M2 as a baby. I tried to be a decent babysitter but was not good enough.. So I am firing myself. Easy, I am the boss. More seriously I am getting your point of the part time user that I am forced to be since I have been into the business for a year or so. I am responsible for not gathering enough information prior to buying and probably my vendor underestimated the difficulties and constraints in running such a piece of machinery. I have been learning the hard way. Need now to find a different way to test my ability to be into this business. I will probably outsource for my own needs and will possibly go back into the making if I can demonstrate that there is a decent profitability into the game we play here.
Thanks again for all your comments. All your advice will be probably much appreciated by people looking into this kind of business opportunity. Kind regards. Claude

Old 3 Weeks Ago Mar 26, 2019 5:13:08 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I understand.
Like I said above, I have had one of these machines for almost seven years. I have been through hell trying to learn it. Had hundreds of issues that I have spent countless hours of my life trying to solve.

I still have issues but I'm more equipped to handle them now. DTG is not for somebody with a part-time business.
Transfers are a better way and cheaper, in my opinion, to start with.

Of course, I didn't know this in the beginning either. I started in my basement and made 3000 my first year. LOL. Had no clue what I was doing.

That is why I started posting again on here. I hate to see or read about people going through the same thing I did.
Don't get me wrong. They are good machines when your running them daily and keeping them clean.

Having good tech support is a must.

Good luck to you.

Old 6 Days Ago Apr 13, 2019 9:08:39 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

My Epson F2900 will not print white I didn’t use it for 6 months but I did run cleaner through it, how do I know?

Old 5 Days Ago Apr 15, 2019 2:59:36 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I believe there is a specific category for Epson printers. This is for DTG Brand.

If you PM message me about the clogged printhead, please ignore my answer. I thought I was answering someone who had a M2.

I don't know epson

This is a discussion about clogged print head that was posted in the DTG Brand section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in