[DTG HM1] HM1-C half of head not firing? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Brand
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future DTG Brand garment printer owners.

[DTG HM1] HM1-C half of head not firing?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 2nd, 2018 Jul 2, 2018 8:48:32 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default HM1-C half of head not firing?

I have a strange problem, the white half of my head will not fire. Details:

I was getting very poor nozzle checks on white, but the other lines were clear. I did a few head cleanings and it wasnít getting any better. The WIMS motor was starting to fail, it would only kick on and run for a second or two before overheating.

Weíre all familiar with the next few days of cleaning, cursing, praying and beggingÖ.

More cleanings and pulling fluid through the head and I got 2 white channels unblocked, then the cyan went out. I pulled the head, soaked it, pulled solution through it and completely unblocked it. Put it back in and had all CMYK channels, but no white at all.

In the last week I have replaced the WIMS motor, filter, capping station, all ink lines, white ink dampers, head cables, and wiper blade.

Itís pulling through the capping station fine, but will not print or spit white, CMYK is fine. Itís like that half of the head isnít firing at all. When I removed the head to change the ribbon cables, the white ink I pulled through while cleaning it had turned gray, not like it was contaminated with black though, like it was getting dirty like grease does from friction.

I have not replaced the head carriage (but it needs to be done, I noticed the screw holes are split) or encoder strip. The encoder wheel was replaced two years ago. CMYK prints are fine with no errors or registration issues.

Iím using Image Armor Inks and GarmentPrinterInk.com brand cleaning solutions. Also windex and ammonia to flush the capping station and to clean non-printhead parts outside of the machine. The Image Armor white was removed from the machine when the WIMS motor started going out and shaken every day, it was added back after the line, filter, damper, and motor replacement.

Iíve thought about, but havenít yet, switched the white and CMYK to test the half head burnout theory. Iím already wasting enough ink as it is.

What am I missing? Can only one side of the head burn out? Could it be a motherboard fuse? (If so, please elaborate, most of the old postsí photos arenít working.)

I might have a head from a newer machine to put in, assuming my machine can read it, they're 10 years apart on technology. That's my next step after any cable or fuse advice I receive here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2018 Jul 3, 2018 2:51:49 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Default Re: HM1-C half of head not firing?

Well, when pulling off the white dampers, the screws gave out, so I replaced the carriage, cables, and belt.

I also pulled the motherboard and checked the fuses, they are good. F1 reads 0.3 ohms and F2 reads 1.0 ohms.

So now I'm back to the printhead. I only have one untested spare so wish me luck.

Old July 4th, 2018 Jul 4, 2018 4:32:54 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Bob
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

What type of print-head do these printers have? DX7 or DX5?
In any case, my guess is that you've destroyed the tiny ink passages behind the nozzle plate. Especially if it is a DX5 print-head.

You have to be really careful with ammonia, and even windex which is an ammonia solution.

Using strong ammonia will clear clogs fast, and you may think that you've discovered the miracle liquid. What it does is dissolving the clog, along with some of your print-head.

The Following User Says Thank You to TABOB For This Useful Post:
tankueray (July 4th, 2018)

Old July 4th, 2018 Jul 4, 2018 10:42:31 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TABOB
In any case, my guess is that you've destroyed the tiny ink passages behind the nozzle plate. Especially if it is a DX5 print-head.
It is a DX5. What do you mean by destroy them? I can draw liquid (bonafied cleaning solution) through and get a good waterfall.

I did swap the color and white before removing the head and found that the left side would still not spit or print. With the white dampers on the right side, I get spitting and printing.

I'm putting in a replacement head shortly.

Old July 4th, 2018 Jul 4, 2018 11:20:45 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankueray
It is a DX5. What do you mean by destroy them? I can draw liquid (bonafied cleaning solution) through and get a good waterfall.

I did swap the color and white before removing the head and found that the left side would still not spit or print. With the white dampers on the right side, I get spitting and printing.

I'm putting in a replacement head shortly.

Unfortunately you cannot waterfall a DX5, like you can do the DX7. If you have, then you've definitely destroyed it.

The nozzle plate is glued on top of another plate with tiny ink channels. It looks OK from the outside, but the channels are now broken.
Be very careful with these print heads.

Old July 4th, 2018 Jul 4, 2018 2:52:07 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

The replacement head is a no go. It pulls through fine, but does not print. I assume it is because it's from a new p400 and has different voltage requirements. The head ID is too long and the wrong number for either adjustment program I have to recognize it. I'll check the fuses again, but I'm betting they're not the problem.

@ TABOB - I learned to waterfall from All American, who used DX5 heads on their Neoflex machines. I have waterfalled my heads successfully many times. That being said, I didn't attempt to waterfall this one until much later in the process, all I did was pull through. I have delaminated a head and it's no fun, but I've also fixed a partially delaminated one (2 channels) by removing all liquid and putting a weight on it for a few days.

I have two more sacrificial printers coming next week. I'll take their heads and see what I can do. Worst case, I swallow my pride and call Epson for a head, I have plenty of serial numbers now. (My HM1 has no Epson serial no.)

Old July 4th, 2018 Jul 4, 2018 5:00:56 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankueray
@ TABOB - I learned to waterfall from All American, who used DX5 heads on their Neoflex machines. I have waterfalled my heads successfully many times. That being said, I didn't attempt to waterfall this one until much later in the process, all I did was pull through. I have delaminated a head and it's no fun, but I've also fixed a partially delaminated one (2 channels) by removing all liquid and putting a weight on it for a few days.

I have two more sacrificial printers coming next week. I'll take their heads and see what I can do. Worst case, I swallow my pride and call Epson for a head, I have plenty of serial numbers now. (My HM1 has no Epson serial no.)
You can get away with it a couple of times, but not many. The DX5 is very fragile.

This is a discussion about HM1-C half of head not firing? that was posted in the DTG Brand section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in