[DTG HM1] Turn off or leave on all the time - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Brand
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future DTG Brand garment printer owners.

[DTG HM1] Turn off or leave on all the time

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 16th, 2009 Jan 16, 2009 2:38:26 PM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Brian
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Turn off or leave on all the time

Don,

I own an HM-1 and have never seen any sign that my machine is doing random head cleanings while unattended. I never see ink in the foam pad in the morning the way it is after a manual head cleaning. Are these machines really doing head cleanings every 6/8/12 hours when left on? Maybe the suction comes on in the capping station but the head doesn't move across the wiper etc.? What's the straight scoop on this?

Thanks.

Brian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2009 Jan 16, 2009 4:56:54 PM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: jimmy

Hey Brian I'm sure Bobbielee knows about the hm1 but I have the koisks 2 and it does it's head cleanings through out the day when I leave it on. I really feel leaving the machines on has solved a lot of the problems I was having before.

Old February 25th, 2009 Feb 25, 2009 11:23:55 PM -   #18 (permalink)
MNO
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Helen

Jimmy do you run the WIMS set-up on your Kiosks? We've had no end of problems with clogged printheads and are just about to order yet another printhead to replace the clogged one we're trying to make do with at the moment. I was looking through the message board for comments on WIMS when I came across this thread about leaving the printer on full time. Has it solved all your white ink-clogging issues?

Old February 26th, 2009 Feb 26, 2009 7:59:39 AM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

i have a kiosk II and after replacing two printheads, started to leave it on all the time...and with the wims system is does do head cleanings...and i haven't had a problem with ANY clogging...hell, i haven't had any problems....

one thing to check that i hadn't thought of and my supplier didn't mention either through the print head replacements. ...is your machine level? in both directions?

Old March 6th, 2009 Mar 6, 2009 5:50:42 AM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

We added the WIMS system and it's made a huge difference. Best investment so far.

Old March 7th, 2009 Mar 7, 2009 12:55:55 AM -   #21 (permalink)
MNO
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thanks for the tip about the levels. Checked them a couple of days ago and they're all good. It sounds like WIMS might be the way to go for us. I'm getting really sick of spending $$$ on new printheads.

Old March 23rd, 2009 Mar 23, 2009 4:30:32 PM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

I just can't seem to leave it on and watch my ink fill-up the waste ink bottle, I don't print every day and leaving it on is throwing money away and having to buy ink more often.

For a little under a year I have turned it off and had no problems turning it back on, few head cleanings and print away. I turn it off, close the clips, clean the capping station and wiper, put puddle of solution in the capping station, dock the print head, cover it and I can leave it for 3 days if want without a problem. I get a perfect nozzle check every time. KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!!!!

Old March 23rd, 2009 Mar 23, 2009 5:30:16 PM -   #23 (permalink)
MNO
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Interesting...we've left our printer on for the last 3 weeks and haven't had anymore clogging issues...for the ink we go through it seems a small price to pay...it's certainly done wonders for my mental health

Old March 24th, 2009 Mar 24, 2009 3:43:55 AM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

I tried to leave it on a few weeks ago to see if there is and difference. The only difference is that my waste ink bottle went for empty to half full.

I spoke to our DTG support team on this and they said that they also turn their machines off just like I do....

Old March 24th, 2009 Mar 24, 2009 1:19:20 PM -   #25 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by slosacco
I tried to leave it on a few weeks ago to see if there is and difference. The only difference is that my waste ink bottle went for empty to half full.
Which machine do you have? I leave my HM1 on constantly and have no issues with wasting ink. I can empty the waste bottle at the end of the day on Friday and when I come in on Monday the bottle is still empty. My machine is not running random head cleanings at all. Other models may run cleanings on their own but from what I can tell the HM1 doesn't.

I think that some issues have been attributed to automatic head cleanings but should not be, for example, if the capping station pump could be leaving a little vacuum pressure on the head and that would draw ink through. Or if there is fluid pooling in the capping station and contacts the head then a siphon may form and that could drain ink bottles too. Closing line clips, if you have them, would solve those issues too.

Again, I can only speak for the HM1. My HM1 to be specific. My HM1 is not running automatic head cleanings.

Brian

Old March 24th, 2009 Mar 24, 2009 1:34:47 PM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

[quote=Brian-R;472296]Which machine do you have?

I have the DTG Kiosk II with the white ink management system (WIMS). It does head cleanings like every 4 hrs.. I would leave it on if it didn't do the cleanings so often. I would think once a day would be sufficient.

Maybe someone knows how to change the WIMS
setting????

Old March 24th, 2009 Mar 24, 2009 1:35:24 PM -   #27 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

I do turn my machine off at night, and keep up really good maintenance. I put cleaning solution in my capping station when I turn it off and then turn it back on in the morning. I always clean my machine before shutting it down, including my capping station, wiper blade and printhead.

My HM1 does do head cleans around every 5 to 6 hours. I started turning it off because it was wasting a ton of ink. So that is what I do.

Brian it is weird that your machine is not doing head cleans. I would talk to your distributor, as it should be doing the head cleans. It sounds like your firmware board is not functioning properly. I guarantee, if it was working properly it would be doing head cleans. At one point, mine starting doing them too much and they had to replace my firmware board. I would have that checked.

Old March 24th, 2009 Mar 24, 2009 2:02:52 PM -   #28 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

[quote=slosacco;472304]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-R
Maybe someone knows how to change the WIMS
setting????
If the WIMS is the same on the Kiosk II as the HM1 then it has nothing to do with head cleanings, all the WIMS does is circulate the white ink. Hopefully someone with a Kiosk II will know if you can adjust the timing on the automatic head cleanings. Every four hours would be extreme overkill. I see why you want to shut your machine off.

Brian

Old March 24th, 2009 Mar 24, 2009 2:15:59 PM -   #29 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydayz
My HM1 does do head cleans around every 5 to 6 hours. I started turning it off because it was wasting a ton of ink. So that is what I do.

Brian it is weird that your machine is not doing head cleans. I would talk to your distributor, as it should be doing the head cleans. It sounds like your firmware board is not functioning properly. I guarantee, if it was working properly it would be doing head cleans. At one point, mine starting doing them too much and they had to replace my firmware board. I would have that checked.
It is definitely not doing head cleanings. I don't know if I want it too though after listening to what others go through. I am happy leaving my machine on all the time. I know my machine is newer than yours so maybe they changed that feature to accomodate the WIMS?
Do you have the WIMS on your machine? If so then it isn't doing any good with the machine off. How does that work? The only time that WIMS is important is when the machine is not in use for a while. There is no need to circulate the white ink during the day when you are printing.

I have been told by everyone that I asked at SWF Mesa to leave my printer on all the time. My salesman, trainer and two of the techs all reiterated the same thing, "Never turn off the switch on the back of the printer." Is it just the head that you are turning off? Now that I could see because that way the WIMS may still have power.

Brian

Last edited by Brian-R; March 24th, 2009 at 02:50 PM..

Old March 24th, 2009 Mar 24, 2009 3:03:00 PM -   #30 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

The Kiosk II from what I see and hear from others runs just head cleanings every 4 to 6 hrs from all the ink channels. Mine seems to run every 4 hrs or sooner.

This is a discussion about Turn off or leave on all the time that was posted in the DTG Brand section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in