A part time business risk... - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Brand
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future DTG Brand garment printer owners.

A part time business risk...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By crazymike
  • 1 Post By NZACO
  • 1 Post By pronetmedia

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 17th, 2016 May 17, 2016 5:18:03 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Shane
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default A part time business risk...

Hello all,

I'm interested in getting into dtg printing but if I did, it would initially be a part time endeavor mainly to supplement my own clothing label and then possibly expanding in the future.

Is it worth investing in a printer if I will only be able to use it part time? So far I've read that you will have issues with ink clogging if it is not used every couple of days. Does that mean that I would have to potentially purchase new ink or heads each time I wanted to use it? Is there no way of cleaning them intensively and disconnecting the ink prior to shutting it down to avoid this?

Any info or thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2016 May 17, 2016 5:48:34 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: mike

Default Re: A part time business risk...

DTG is not for part time use. These machines take more care than any other
type of garment decorating.
I have been screen printing for 26 years and also had a DTG printer for
10 of those years. The DTG machine took more maintenance than our
manual, auto screen printer, embroidery machines, vinyl cutter, print and
cut machine put together.
markjw likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to crazymike For This Useful Post:
chareggett (May 18th, 2016)
Old May 17th, 2016 May 17, 2016 10:19:14 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymike
DTG is not for part time use. These machines take more care than any other
type of garment decorating.
I have been screen printing for 26 years and also had a DTG printer for
10 of those years. The DTG machine took more maintenance than our
manual, auto screen printer, embroidery machines, vinyl cutter, print and
cut machine put together.
What DTG do you have?

Old May 17th, 2016 May 17, 2016 10:27:14 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thanks for the info,

How much maintenance do they need? I'd be happy to spend an hour or two setting up each time, but if it would require fresh ink/cartridges or any other expensive consumables then I could see how it would not really be worth it financially...

Old May 17th, 2016 May 17, 2016 10:38:05 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miscreant
Hello all,

I'm interested in getting into dtg printing but if I did, it would initially be a part time endeavor mainly to supplement my own clothing label and then possibly expanding in the future.

Is it worth investing in a printer if I will only be able to use it part time? So far I've read that you will have issues with ink clogging if it is not used every couple of days. Does that mean that I would have to potentially purchase new ink or heads each time I wanted to use it? Is there no way of cleaning them intensively and disconnecting the ink prior to shutting it down to avoid this?

Any info or thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks.
It is worth the investment because the financial reward is great. But you need to have a reliable printer that circulates the white ink and does not uses cartridges.
Miscreant likes this.

Old May 18th, 2016 May 18, 2016 3:30:48 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZACO
It is worth the investment because the financial reward is great. But you need to have a reliable printer that circulates the white ink and does not uses cartridges.
Thanks James,

I was researching different printing methods mostly out of curiosity which lead to DTG and on to DTG's Viper2 which is what sort of spawned my interest in doing some of my print work myself. Obviously it would be a substantial outlay initially but I figured that with the savings I would be making by printing my own label as opposed to outsourcing and then eventually getting clients it would pay itself off in time...

The only thing I'm unsure about after reading many posts (because I have zero experience in this field) is whether or not I can let the printer sit idle for weeks on end and if so, will it require replacement parts each time I start it up? My main job has me travelling away from home for up to 2 weeks at a time...

Old May 18th, 2016 May 18, 2016 3:36:51 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miscreant
Thanks James,

I was researching different printing methods mostly out of curiosity which lead to DTG and on to DTG's Viper2 which is what sort of spawned my interest in doing some of my print work myself. Obviously it would be a substantial outlay initially but I figured that with the savings I would be making by printing my own label as opposed to outsourcing and then eventually getting clients it would pay itself off in time...

The only thing I'm unsure about after reading many posts (because I have zero experience in this field) is whether or not I can let the printer sit idle for weeks on end and if so, will it require replacement parts each time I start it up? My main job has me travelling away from home for up to 2 weeks at a time...
In your situation I don't think a Viper 2 would be a good idea.

Old May 18th, 2016 May 18, 2016 8:23:05 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZACO
What DTG do you have?
I have a T-Jet 1
It is for sale for $600.00 and just needs a
print head and bulk ink system to work.

Old May 18th, 2016 May 18, 2016 8:56:17 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymike
I have a T-Jet 1
It is for sale for $600.00 and just needs a
print head and bulk ink system to work.
I just looked at T-Jet on the forum, Now I see why you mentioned the high need for maintenance. What age is the T-Jet 1?

We use the Resolute DTG printers and are very happy as the only cleaning we do is at the end of the day and takes about 10 min. The circulating white ink means we don't need to clean the white tubes each week..

Old May 18th, 2016 May 18, 2016 9:10:53 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Not sure the comments from Crazy Mike are useful. Like any technology, every year there are new advances and better systems. So when he bought the machine and which machine he owned might be different now.

I am still investigating myself, I have determined from most of the conversations on this forum that there are a few good printers and some that are junk. I was originally looking at the DTG D2 or Viper, however, from comments here it appears to be junk.

I will wait until I get back from NBM Indy show to decide on technology. DTG seems to take the most labor of the other printing alternatives to screen printing. If I go DTG the printer will have to have an auto maintenance feature for flushing the print head.

Kyle
chareggett likes this.

Last edited by pronetmedia; May 18th, 2016 at 11:12 AM..

Old May 19th, 2016 May 19, 2016 6:45:00 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

is a forum sponsor who has contributed over 1000 helpful posts in the forums!

You can call me: Don
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Thanks for everyone's input. Based on what Shane is asking for and describing his situation (leaving the machine 2 weeks at a time frequently) it is probably not a good match to consider direct to garment printing inhouse until the need is great enough to have need to use the machine more frequently.

Direct to garment printing does not require more labor than other methods of decoration. Ever try doing an order of 24 shirts, 4-5 colors, with heat transfer vinyl? Direct to garment printers do require attention, just as any specialty printer does. The more they are used, the less issues you will experience.

My advice to Shane would be to have is shirts done by a wholesale direct to garment source or have plastisol transfers done and invest into a heat press and press them to the proper shirts as needed - until the demand becomes to high and then move into self production.

Old May 19th, 2016 May 19, 2016 7:03:57 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Dean

I'm a part timer in the tee shirt that's why I choose the 330tx by omniprint. I can leave it sit for a few days with no problems. Go on the Dtg Facebook and search out omnipaul he can answer your questions. Goodluck.

Sent from my SM-N920V using T-Shirt Forums

Old May 19th, 2016 May 19, 2016 9:44:06 AM -   #13 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

is a forum sponsor who has contributed over 1000 helpful posts in the forums!

You can call me: Don
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

A couple of days is certainly acceptable for all major brands of direct to garment printers on the marketplace. Shane asked about leaving the machine for two weeks at a time on a regular basis. While we have left machines here down for that long, it is not something that is advised as a normal practice.

The Following User Says Thank You to Don-ColDesi For This Useful Post:
NZACO (May 19th, 2016)
Old May 19th, 2016 May 19, 2016 10:29:54 PM -   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thank you to everyone for your sage advice and opinions, I have done a bit of reading into DTG but the effect of downtime on the machine is something that I could not really find any information about (that wasn't ambiguous or relevant for periods of more than a couple of days). It was also not a question I wanted to approach a supplier with in fear of them saying yes simply to make a sale!

I'm going to hold off and might come back and address it in 12 months or so...

Thanks again guys!

This is a discussion about A part time business risk... that was posted in the DTG Brand section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in