DTG Kiosk - what are your experiences with this machine? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Brand
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future DTG Brand garment printer owners.

DTG Kiosk - what are your experiences with this machine?

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 6th, 2006 Oct 6, 2006 10:09:48 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: John
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default DTG Kiosk - what are your experiences with this machine?

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone owns a DTG Kiosk printer and what there experiences with this particular machine are. At present l can only print on light coloured tees but have been offered the conversion for white ink and Rip program.

It has been a large learning curve for myself mainly on getting colours right especially with photos. I seem to have sorted colour problem with created artwork but must print twice to get a nice bright image.

I would love to hear from someone who has similar machine or who has encountered simmilar problems.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2006 Oct 6, 2006 11:58:36 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Adam
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default Re: DTG Kiosk

I have a Kiosk. My expirience with the machine is great. Works very well and is pretty solid. The only negative part of printing with my Kiosk on blacks / colors is the current ink problem. Alot of us upgraded to the new Dupont white ink which is very bright but some of the colored ink (red mainly) will not bond well with it. So we are unable to print red on black with the new inkset.

They are currently working on this problem and hope to have it resolved in the next week or so.

If you had a pretty tough learning curve for the 7 color machine, be prepared for another lengthy learning curve when you get the white ink upgrade. Look for everything from color adjustment problems to pre-treatement problems.

The negatie aside, once you get up and running on whites / blacks this machine performs great!

Old October 10th, 2006 Oct 10, 2006 2:19:35 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Michael

Hi TahoeTomahawk,

I just recently purchased the DTG Kiosk and I'm having a heck of a time getting a decent print on a black garment. I have red about the issue with ink with the new white ink, and I do have that problem. However, I am also having trouble with white lettering not printing. Actually anywhere in the artwork where there is true white(#FFFFFF) the machine is not printing anything. The reverse is true for Black, anywhere there is true black(#000000), the machine is laying down black ink. These troubles are all when using the RIP*Pro program to print the design.

I printed the design to a white t-shirt using the EPSON 2200 drivers directly, thus by-passing the RIP*Pro software and the print came out looking great.

I've done/tinkered with just about everything I can think of. I come from the IT sector and I'm very technically savvy when it comes to computers and hardware configurations. Although, it is very possible that I've missed something in the RIP*Pro Software. I have set the machine and software up per their instructions and used the settings listed in the manual. Do you know of any setup or troubleshooting guides that might help at this point?

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
~Michael

Old October 10th, 2006 Oct 10, 2006 6:15:54 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Hi Michael,
yes the red problem was very frustrating. Luckily a new Ink should be on the way very soon.
I haven't had any of the problems you mentioned with the RIP software, it's been pretty straight forward. Let me walk you through how I print on Whites / Blacks and see if we match up.

Open image with Print Pro (I only use .psd files)
Click Print Preview
click the Print options button to adjust the image placement
click the Print Setup button then do the following:
-Find the Printer dropdown. Should be set to Kiosk 2200 (by default it was Kiosk 2100, I had problems with color until I changed it).
-Click the Properties button to the right of the Printer
-Now you will see all the tabs.
-Use the media tab to adjust your margins
-Click the "device options" tab (this is how you tell it you are printing on white / black shirts)
--For Whites---
On the Printing Base drop down select "White"
Set the print directions to "Bi"
Set the dot size to "variable 6pl"
Set the layers count to 1 or 2 (or however many passes you want)
---For Blacks---
On the Printing Base drop down select "Black"
Uncheck the box at the very bottom that says "use same settings for whitebase and color". This way you can allow the printer to do 1 or more passes for color, and one or more passes for the whitebase.
Find the drop down that appears at the top which contains the values "Color Data, White Base" and adjust the settings for each.
Select Color Data from the drop down
1. Set the print directions to "Bi"
2. Set the dot size to "variable 6pl"
3. Set the layers count to 1 or 2 (or however many passes you want)
Select the White Base from the drop down and repeat steps 1-3.

Click Ok
Load your shirt (if you havent already)
While still on Print Preview - click the print button.

Let me know how it goes!
-Adam

Old October 10th, 2006 Oct 10, 2006 7:00:17 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: John

Hi Tahoe Tomahawk,

I was just reading your response to Michael with his problems on printing white inks, and l noticed you have printer settings set for Epson 2200. Now l dont have white ink capacity and was wondering if chenging settings or loading softwear for Epson 2200 would give me better results than current default settings with Epson 2100 as my printer is set currently.

I seem to need to print everything twice to get a resonable bright print.

I would like to take some photos and email to you to get an opinion.

Regards
John

Old October 10th, 2006 Oct 10, 2006 7:46:41 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Hi John,
I had that problem also when my settings were set to "Kiosk 2100". I changed it to Kiosk 2200 and had better results. Also, the new Inks (DTG TEX 2) are pretty vivid on whites / lights with a single pass at 720 dpi.
Since you don't have the white ink upgrade are you still using Print Pro or are you printing directly out of Corel / Photoshop?

I don't use the regular epson print drivers as Print Pro will override them.

Sure send on over an email sample:
[email protected]

Old October 11th, 2006 Oct 11, 2006 9:55:01 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Michael

Tahoe,

First, thanks for listing the steps you use to print to whites and blacks. However, I didn't receive a copy of PrintPro. I just have the DTG RIP*PRO software that does the rastering. I've been trying to print directly from my graphics program.

When the RIP*PRO software installed, it created 3 print queues (DTG Kiosk w/white ink, a TIFF print queue, and a PDF print queue). Since I'm at my "day" job right now, I don't have the full "correct" names in front of me, but those are close. When printing from the graphics software, the instructions say to use the "DTG Kiosk w/white ink" printer. This engages the RIP program and it processes the image, prints the white base and then the color pass(es). I’ve seen the options in the “printer preferences” to set the material to either “White Cotton” or “Black Cotton” (plus other color cotton options). I’ve been using Bi-Directional for the printing. I’ve not seen the option for dot size, will look harder this evening. I have been able to set the DPI for the white pass and the color pass separately. I have tried 720dpi and 1440dpi for the white, while leaving the color pass at 720dpi. I have done prints with 1-white/1-color, 1-white/2-color, and 2-white/2-color passes, all to no avail.

Unfortunately, I did not get any time with the machine last night, but I will this evening. I’m considering uninstalling all the DTG software from my computer and start over. Just to see if I missed something and also to get back to the defaults. I’m a bit frustrated with it right now, I was expecting to be able to produce a decent print pretty much after install like I would with any other printer. Then I expected to have to tweak the settings to get an optimal print.

~Michael

Old October 11th, 2006 Oct 11, 2006 6:30:28 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Aficionado

have any of you all printed on items other then garments with your kiosks?

if so, what type of items???

Old October 17th, 2006 Oct 17, 2006 2:29:59 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAHchills
have any of you all printed on items other then garments with your kiosks?

if so, what type of items???
Bit of a newbie question: but how does the Kiosk cope with *other* coloured garments (non Black or White).

?

Old October 18th, 2006 Oct 18, 2006 9:45:16 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

is a forum sponsor who has contributed over 1000 helpful posts in the forums!

You can call me: Don
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Hi Steve,

The DTG Kiosk "deals" with garments 3 different ways

1. white garment - RIP prints exactly what you see on screen - no white ink used
2. black garment - RIP underbases in white everything except for black pixels which are not printed so that the black of the garment is used
3. "other" color garments - RIP underbases entire design in white and then prints the full design in color

there are also options for "highlight" white printing on the black and colored garments

Someone also asked about printing on non-textiles with the DTG Kiosk - we offer pre and post treatments that allow you to print on these substrates - RIP Pro has a media setting for rigid goods that ensures the proper ink laydown.

Hope this helps

Don - SWF East
"I ink, therefore I am"

Old October 23rd, 2006 Oct 23, 2006 8:08:26 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

I ordered my DTG Kiosk last week and I am expecting it to be delivered tomorrow and the local tech will be setting it up for me on thursday (hopefully).

Adam, thanks for the step by step for printing (white/black garments), I see it could be a steep learning curve for me over the next week or so.

One question I do have, LCD screens don't display colours as well as CRT screens, so what do others do to achieve a what you see on screen is what is printed?

Old October 23rd, 2006 Oct 23, 2006 11:49:28 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Hi Steve,
Congrats! You'll love the Kiosk.

That is a good question about how to color match what is on the screen. I have a 19" LCD I use to Create / Modify / Clean up images and then I have a 15" Laptop LCD near my printer I print with. It is quite a challenge nailing the colors down. I would also like some tips.
I did read through the Print Pro documentation and there are ways to calibrate your monitor so you can get close to WYSIWYG, but I've been too afraid to create any new color profiles.

-Adam

Old October 25th, 2006 Oct 25, 2006 3:26:31 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Thanks Adam
I will play around with the screen settings until it is a close match to the print, will let you know if I have any success.

There has been a delay in sending the machine it won't arrive till Friday now and the tech will setup on Monday...so next week we should be trashing shirts j/k

I already have a lot of interest in this machine from my existing customers so getting work for it will the least of my problems. Also, I think we are the first in this area to offer the service (Direct to Garment Printing).

One other question, I am setting this up in the production area of my embroidery business and I am concerned about overspray from the pre-treatment application? Where does everyone else do the pre-treat on darks? In another room or don't you have issues with overspray from the power sprayer?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Old October 25th, 2006 Oct 25, 2006 7:22:47 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungy
One other question, I am setting this up in the production area of my embroidery business and I am concerned about overspray from the pre-treatment application? Where does everyone else do the pre-treat on darks? In another room or don't you have issues with overspray from the power sprayer?
Everyone I know does the pre-treat in another room. I have a table setup outside for my pre-treat. After a few shirts you'll start to notice a fine gluey coating over just about everything in that area all the way up to about 1- feet away sometimes. You can image what this would do to the printer after awhile. All the moving parts would have a glue on them.

Old November 6th, 2006 Nov 6, 2006 4:49:21 PM -   #15 (permalink)
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Hello everyone I bought a kiosk about 3 weeks ago, and let me tell you it took that long to just get it printing some what normal. I have alot of touble printing on blacks the whole graphic comes out looking speckeled, and sometimes it will be clear on one side of the print and speckle on the other side. I have no idea how to get the color down right, because one print will be what the customer wants and the next will be totally off. I have learned that the kiosk is not what I expected, its good for that one time print but anything in mass quantities not recomended. I feel that I just should have went with a screen printer.

This is a discussion about DTG Kiosk - what are your experiences with this machine? that was posted in the DTG Brand section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in