DTG Kiosk - what are your experiences with this machine? - Page 4 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Brand
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future DTG Brand garment printer owners.

DTG Kiosk - what are your experiences with this machine?

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 21st, 2008 Feb 21, 2008 8:42:16 AM -   #46 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

is a forum sponsor who has contributed over 1000 helpful posts in the forums!

You can call me: Don
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: DTG Kiosk

Sounds like the ink harness may be "slapping" the encoder strip. Verify that it is tracking properly during printing, if it is not it is usually because the cover on the printhead carriage is not level (usually tipped too far down). Level this and make sure the ink harness is travelling freely and not slapping side to side and you should take care of the problem.

Hope this helps!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2008 Feb 21, 2008 9:26:06 AM -   #47 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Padraic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Seems to be working, I'll keep you posted

Old February 26th, 2008 Feb 26, 2008 9:13:40 AM -   #48 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

same problem again, its printing a "rainbow affect" across the garment. It's definetley not hitting the encoder strip

Old February 26th, 2008 Feb 26, 2008 11:08:31 AM -   #49 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Podge,

can you email me a picture of what it is printing on the shirt? [email protected]

also - is this happening with different images or just with one specific file?

Thanks

Old February 27th, 2008 Feb 27, 2008 3:11:36 AM -   #50 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

sent that pic this morning

Old February 27th, 2008 Feb 27, 2008 6:33:33 AM -   #51 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Chad

I am heading to a show this weekend to take some serious looks at the Kiosk and the Brother. I've been following this thread closely for that very reason. My intentions to are to print on light colored - mostly white at traveling events - so printing on black or dark colored doesnt' appeal to me at this time as I don't think there is much cost advantage over plastisol transfers which we have had extremely good luck with.

So obviously there is a price difference between the two and that is a factor. What I do know about the Brother is that I have not been able to find anyone really having problems with one at all. I do notice a few issues concerning the DTG which include replacing pumps, encoder strips, boards, continous head cleaning,... - along with leveling heads other maintenance items. Now it seems that all of these have been fixed by replacing parts and pieces. Are these items being covered under warranty or are the paid for by the buyer? Also how common are these issues?

Old February 27th, 2008 Feb 27, 2008 6:51:33 AM -   #52 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Chad,

I will concur that you do not hear about many problems with the Brother, but I will not concur that you hear about NO problems. The Brother is a good machine, very simple, and very limited. Brother is laughing all the way to the bank with this machine as they do not print white ink (which does increase the maintenance and learning curves immensly - as well as increasing the number of potentially clients by at least a factor of 2) and they do not tout the other - non-t-shirt applications that the Epson based machines do. Add to this the 3 fold ink costs - average Espon-based DTG ink costs of about $300 per liter versus about $880 per liter with Brother and you can see why they are not rushing in to the white ink market. Now, that being said, if you are looking for better quality prints (which all of the Espon-based machine WILL give you) and lower ink costs (which I guarantee that the DTG will give you, much lower!) and a less expensive initial investment (again, guaranteed on the DTG) - then the DTG is the way to go. If speed is important, a dual-CMYK HM-1 is faster than the Brother (full front image 12" x 14" at 1440 x 720 dpi in about 1 minute, ink cost less than 40 cents) and about $5K less than a Brother. Did I forget to mention that the HM-1 is portable (though not neccesarily light weight), the Brother is not - see warranty restrictions prior to investing in one for "traveling events"

(closes his eyes, turns his head and waits for the savage attack from the Brother-faithful)

Hope this helps!

Old February 27th, 2008 Feb 27, 2008 6:58:38 AM -   #53 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Don,

Thanks for reply. I have a sample from DTG and was impressed. I have been to a brother dealer and printed my own samples (of course I took the wrong files!!). Is the Kiosk not portable? From my understanding it is smaller - but have not seen this yet. Besides speed - why get the HM-1 instead of the kiosk?

That is interesting about the Brother warranty - I will check into that this weekend when I speak with them at the show as I have been told by the dealer that it is "great" for taking to events.

Old February 27th, 2008 Feb 27, 2008 7:10:20 AM -   #54 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Speed is the main reason for getting an HM-1. I assumed (we know that that does!) that since you would be producing "on demand" at events that seepd would be important. I love the Kiosk II, very reliable, affordable and proven.

I do know that at one time the Brother machine could not be moved without an authorized technician being there. Perhaps they have relaxed that now. Get it in writing or at least ask to see the actual warranty.

Hope this helps!

Old February 27th, 2008 Feb 27, 2008 7:37:26 AM -   #55 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: corey

I had an epson based printer for 1 1/2 years it was a t-jet2.We gave up on printing with white ink because of the time to print and pretreating it was not cost effectuve for us.I just replaced it with the Brother and love it.It prints fast and the cure times are only 35 seconds compared to 150seconds for dupont inks on light garments.also we don't have to do all those head cleanings.We had to do so many head cleanings on the T-jet that we wasted tons of ink not to mention all the down time to replace pumps etc... Also check out what you have to do to move the epson based printers with the bulk system. Also the brother prints right from coreidraw,photoshop etc. there is no rip to wait for so that makes it faster.As far as printing on other things so far I have printed on sand dollars,stone coasters,puzzles,Thongs,canvas bags,and last nite weprinted on the paper you do water colors on it looked great all this in the space of 1 week it has been truely plug and play.My installer takes his all over he just sures up the heads so they don't move during transport,but check to see if it voids the warranty,but then again if they have so few problems why worry about it.Yes the ink costs more but if your not wasting ink doing cleanings your making money printing.Now I to can laugh all the way to the bank along with Brother I have no problem paying them if I'm making it to. Good luck with what ever you do and maybe we'll see you on the road when I get my trailer set up for events.

Old February 27th, 2008 Feb 27, 2008 7:58:49 AM -   #56 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Sharktees - that is a consistent story I have heard with owners of the Brother - and about half of the Tjet owners too! But as far as warranty - when it's a 20K investement I want a warranty no matter how dependable it is!!

Anyone know why you have to use a RIP with the DTG? I know with the production epson printers you don't have to use it? Or does this supposedly help with the print quality? I have a nice sample from a DTG and it washes well and the brother sample looks ok. But again they are not the same graphic. Has anyone had the chance to see the same image printed on both machines to really compare? I am hoping they will do this for me this weekend at each booth with a design I will be using at our softball events.

Don - Can you answer my question about the parts being replaced and who pays for them?

Old February 27th, 2008 Feb 27, 2008 8:11:34 AM -   #57 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: corey

I understand your point with the warranty.I have printed many of the same prints with both printers and they honestly look the same to me including my logo which incorporates Great Dane art work,If you use good art work both should print well for you.Also the print quality depends alot on the brand of shirt you use,we have switched brands many times to keep up with our best results.also the way you cure plays a big part in the process.

Old February 27th, 2008 Feb 27, 2008 8:20:24 AM -   #58 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

In regards to seeing shirts printed on both, I have on multiple occasions printed a file for folks at a show who had it printed on the Brother and other machines. The Brother does a good job on spot color designs with minimal fades or postscript effects, where it fails is in blends and fades, most of the images I have seen printed at the show that were done from custom artwork seemed to have noticeable banding as well, not sure why, but the canned images did not. Again, the Brother is a good machine, but it does not print as well as the Espon-based machines because it can't, it is limited to 600 dpi vs 720 dpi or higher on the Espon-based machines. You will notice that the Kornits also fall off on the areas mentioned for the Brother (fades, gradients etc.)
In regards to parts, basically anything that touches ink on the machine is considered a consumable, and is thus, not a warranty item. If you do your routine maintenance you will find that the "waste" of ink is minimal and comes nowhere near making up the $580 per liter difference in ink costs with the Brother machine.
In regards to the RIP, the reasons for using it are many, but the main reasons are more control over dot size and abilty to control channels - which is not needed with a CMYK machine.
Long and short of it, if you are looking at this as a long term investment and do not plan on needing to do darks and can get an additional $1 per light colored shirt to cover additional ink costs, then the Brother may be a good choice for you (again, verify the warranty issue). If you are looking for an affordable entry into the market and want to be free to travel with the machine (and upgrade to white ink printing should you choose) then the DTG may very well be the way to go.

Old February 27th, 2008 Feb 27, 2008 8:21:33 AM -   #59 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
,If you use good art work both should print well for you.Also the print quality depends alot on the brand of shirt you use,we have switched brands many times to keep up with our best results.also the way you cure plays a big part in the process.
Very sage wisdom here!

Old February 27th, 2008 Feb 27, 2008 8:40:36 AM -   #60 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: chris

I have had a Brother for 2 years and (knock on wood) never a single problem with the machine. I printed one shirt wrong, my fault because my husband thought the name was already to the printer and it was not so we had 2 shirts with the same name. Not bad for 2 years. I fire it up and run it, I do not even do test prints normally. If someone asks then I will but not normally.

Hope that helps
I consider the investment well worth it. And I got mine from Brian at direct2shirt. He is a great guy

Good luck on whatever you decide.

This is a discussion about DTG Kiosk - what are your experiences with this machine? that was posted in the DTG Brand section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in