[DTG HM1] Need advice on head not firing, and what NOT to do. - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Brand
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future DTG Brand garment printer owners.

[DTG HM1] Need advice on head not firing, and what NOT to do.

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 23rd, 2016 Feb 23, 2016 5:06:58 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Need advice on head not firing, and what NOT to do.

I've been working on this problem for about 2 weeks now, here's the story. (DTG HM1-C, 2008 model, ORIGINAL print head - yeah, I know, it's magic.)

Back in November, my capping station clogged in a way it never has before (on the color side). Nothing I tried would work. I had an Epson r2400 for parts, but no time to mess with it. I cleared the white ink lines, put solution in the capping station, and let the machine set until January.

Last month, I tore apart the Epson and replaced the capping station. Everything was fine, except the blue and white channels weren't working. I ran head cleanings and shirts every day, but nothing. I used a syringe on the HM1 head, still in the machine, and tried to clear it. That worked, but now the white and blue were the only ones working! I finally conceded that the HM1 head was in need of replacement, and that's where things started to go wrong...I pulled out the print head from the 2400 and cleaned and cleared it to put in the HM1.

I pulled the HM1 head and put in the Epson head (I did not enter the head ID in the adjustment program at that time). Head cleaning worked, but it would not print or spit. Back to the HM1 head...I soaked it in pure simple green and cleared the clogs (mistake #1). Back in the machine, the HM1 head was still only doing white and blue. I used the syringe again and fluid started coming out of the sides, the simple green had delaminated it. I put the Epson head back in and tried to troubleshoot the non-firing issue.

Then I was having trouble with the cleaning function where the head would stick on the capping station, stop, and blink the ink and eject lights. This happens often enough to be normal and for different reasons. I cleaned the encoder strip with alcohol wipes, the belt and gear, and re-checked the install of the capping station. Then because I was too lazy to go find the alcohol, I used acetone to clean the encoder wheel (mistake #2), that ATE the wheel. I replaced it with the one from the 2400. It's still doing it intermittently.

Oddities:
One thing I noticed was that the smaller flat cable on the right bottom side of the print head (that goes around the the encoder strip reader) is not connected. Looking at the overspray pattern on it, it appears that it never was connected. Is this supposed to be stretched around to the back and connected to the encoder board?

The only other anomaly is that when I replaced the capping station, the original didn't have that white paper guide on the left side, which apparently wasn't ever an issue before. I put one on it from the 2400 anyway, and set it to the right position per the replacement instructions.
Mistake Summary (so far):
- DO NOT use pure simple green on your head! It will delaminate it.
- DO NOT use acetone to clean the encoding wheel, it will eat it.

The current issue I need help with:
Back to the non-firing 2400 head. Again, it pulls through the capping station fine, but does not print a nozzle check or spit. I replaced the motherboard cables, checked the fuses on the motherboard, and checked all the connections, nothing seems out of place. I've put the head ID into the adjustment program as well. I've read a ton of posts, and they haven't helped. What should I do next?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2016 Mar 1, 2016 7:53:56 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Anthony Bruce Creek
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default Re: Need advice on head not firing, and what NOT to do.

You may need a new mainboard, sometimes the fuses check out ok on the HM1 but the board can be bad or some type of other component on the mainboard may cause this. Did you replace any of the motherboard cables?

Old March 2nd, 2016 Mar 2, 2016 5:06:03 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

No, only the print head cables. Can you point me in the direction of other components on the board to check?

What about this
Quote:
One thing I noticed was that the smaller flat cable on the right bottom side of the print head (that goes around the the encoder strip reader) is not connected. Looking at the overspray pattern on it, it appears that it never was connected. Is this supposed to be stretched around to the back and connected to the encoder board?
Is that actually supposed to be connected?

Old March 8th, 2016 Mar 8, 2016 3:06:06 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

There is a cable that was originally for the ink cartridge chips, but they are now at the back so this cable is not connected. It doesnt mention that you have fitted a new head anywhere? I would try that, and if that isn't the cause re-check the mainboard fuses. Failing that, new mainboard as Anthony has already mentioned.

Last edited by uktech; March 8th, 2016 at 03:12 AM..

Old March 31st, 2016 Mar 31, 2016 4:42:32 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Update:
I Just bought a refurb R2000 machine from Epson for its head. (The whole machine was cheaper than just the head, which I was quoted $499 for directly from Epson.) When it comes in, I'll install it and see what happens.

I think I routed the cables correctly, but can someone confirm whether the blue sides face toward or away from each other on the head cables at the head? Most of the replacement videos and PDFs I have are not in focus enough to see.

Old March 31st, 2016 Mar 31, 2016 5:02:31 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Top cable connections facing up, bottom cable connections facing down.

This is a discussion about Need advice on head not firing, and what NOT to do. that was posted in the DTG Brand section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in