HM1 print quality help - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Brand
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future DTG Brand garment printer owners.

HM1 print quality help

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 15th, 2008 Sep 15, 2008 8:47:53 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default HM1 print quality help

Hi,

We have a print quality issue with our new HM1. Please see attached example. This is a print on a green t-shirt with white ink underbase. Seems to be doing this with all prints, cmyk and white ink. Did a nozzle check. Nozzle check 100%, cleaned the encoder strip, did auto head alignment, many head cleans etc. Any ideas of what this could be or what we could check.

Thanks in advance,
Riaan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg riaan_hm1.jpg (511.5 KB, 123 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2008 Sep 16, 2008 3:30:14 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Default Re: HM1 print quality help

So we tried everything again, head cleans, encoder strip, head alignment, different image files, different print settings, no luck. We still get 100% nozzle check paterns. Where to from here? Any ideas please.

Riaan

Old September 16th, 2008 Sep 16, 2008 4:15:47 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Brian

Did you try printing on a different shirt?

Are the lines running in print head direction or platen direction?

Old September 16th, 2008 Sep 16, 2008 4:23:53 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Yes we tried different shirts and colours. Lines are going in the print head direction.

Old September 16th, 2008 Sep 16, 2008 4:28:37 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

is a forum sponsor who has contributed over 1000 helpful posts in the forums!

You can call me: Don
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Have you tried thoroughly cleaning your wiper blade?

Old September 16th, 2008 Sep 16, 2008 4:37:52 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Yes, the wiper blade is clean. We clean everything before and after we print for the day.

Old September 16th, 2008 Sep 16, 2008 4:49:59 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Maybe the rotary encoder.

Old September 16th, 2008 Sep 16, 2008 10:58:42 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

We went over the printer and made sure everything is 100% clean, including the obvious parts such as the wiper blad, capping station, printhead, encoder strip, no dust, no ink "over spray" nothing. The machine has printed less that 100 shirts and is still spotless clean. Nozzle checks and head cleans performed again, no luck. Tried to print from Photoshop and not through PrintPro, same results. Not sure what else we can try. Can it be a clogged printhead even if the nozzle check is 100%?

Old September 17th, 2008 Sep 17, 2008 6:47:31 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Any additional thoughts or suggestions on this?

Thanks

Old September 17th, 2008 Sep 17, 2008 9:49:03 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Steve
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

After running a cleaning cycle take a look at your print head with a mirror and flashlight. If you see any residue on the print head it could be that the wiper blade has become warped. A new one would solve that issue.

If it is doing this only on prints over a white underbase ( not my area of expertise) I would suspect too much white ink in the layer.

If it is doing this when you print solid images each of 100% c,m,y, and k on a white shirt I would suspect a problem in the ink flow- probably not the print head with perfect nozzle checks, but perhaps a clogged air vent, damper, or somewhere else between the ink supply and the print head. All colors being involved would also make me think of the whole capping station and pump. I have different printer so I am trying to apply that information to your printer in case it may be of help.

Old September 17th, 2008 Sep 17, 2008 5:15:28 PM -   #11 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

Have you tried printing with the bed a little lower? it looks to me like your print height might have something to do with it or maybe even the ink you are using. Do you know which ink you are using? Also is your spit station on the left emptied? if it gets full and you dont have it empty, excess ink can get on your printhead from the foam pad. Has this been happening since you got your machine or did it just start?

Old September 17th, 2008 Sep 17, 2008 8:36:37 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Hi there,

The machine printed fine the first 3 weeks, mostly getting to know the machine etc. The last perfect print was Friday night, really nice solid white background with colour layer. Next day the coloured t-shirt prints started with the banding. Wiper blade seems fine, and clean. Sponge on left had side clean. We really keep everything clean as we studied all the post from you guys before we purchased the machine and we know the saying, no hoove no horse, in this case, no maintenance no working machine and no income.

Last night we printed a colourful clipart image. Exported from Corel at 350di, ended up being a 51mb file, printed this on a black t-shirt. White layer printed 100%, colour layer 99%. Printed some more cmyk and its seems as if the ink flows better, but the still banding. Printed a few colours and it seems as if the magenta range of colours are worse than others. Ink bottles are always way above half. Will follow through on your suggestions and let you guys know.

Thanks again for all your valuable input.

Old September 17th, 2008 Sep 17, 2008 9:05:22 PM -   #13 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

If I were you and you say its the magenta colors that are having the problem, maybe try flushing your system with a mix of distilled water and cleaning solution, because maybe you might have a bit of buildup in your damper, that might be slowing the flow a bit. Also is this the only file you are having this problem with? Or does this happen with other files as well. If it happens with other files, I would suggest either flushing your system just in case there may be some buildup in the damper, or just replace the magenta damper.

If this is the problem, simply replacing the magenta damper would be the easiest and fastest fix. If you have the time I would try the flushing method just to give a good cleaning to all dampers and the print head thru the inside I do a flush on my system every 4 to 5 weeks just as an added part of my maintenance to keep any buildup out of the system. The fact that you are getting banding within that color range, may be just a bit of buildup.

This can especially happen if you are printing a lot, or there is any type of debris in the ink at all. If you are worried it might be the ink you can always strain the ink with a coffee filter when putting it into your bulk bottles. I cant say because I of course am going to have different ink then you, but I have heard of this happening, especially if you might have gotten ink that the distributor may have had in stock for awhile. Hope this helps

Old September 18th, 2008 Sep 18, 2008 12:36:29 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Zhen

I've posted about the magenta banding problems over a year ago, and still I have no fix for it. The only real solution I have found is to print at 1440dpi.

Old September 18th, 2008 Sep 18, 2008 12:55:57 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Zhen

Quote from a tech:

"I have seen this problem (yellow streaks on red prints) with just about ever
2100/220 printer, "when printing the DTG Red Hot Rod print", but haven't
really chased it through as yet."

Thats referring to the 2200 printhead in the original kiosk. But still might be a problem with the HM1 printhead as well?

What RIP are you using?

This is a discussion about HM1 print quality help that was posted in the DTG Brand section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in