Printing on 100% Polyester - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Brand
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future DTG Brand garment printer owners.

Printing on 100% Polyester

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 26th, 2008 Jul 26, 2008 10:43:44 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Printing on 100% Polyester

Hi All:

i searched the forums for this topic and there seems to be a whole lot of contradictory findings and opnions. I read no you can't do it, yes you can but not with white ink, yes you can on white shirts and black shirts with pictures even. What is the latest? I have a DTG Kiosk and my SWF East trainer told me you could do it with the textile pre-treatment so I am gonna try with that process. Alot of fun so far and I already have customers so things are humming right along. Please let me know what your experiences are. Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2008 Jul 26, 2008 12:13:55 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Allen

Default Re: Printing on 100% Polyester

You can print on polyester as long as you are using the CMYK colors only... This means that as long as you use the COLOR LAYER, you can print on any polyester garment.

You do have to use a polyester pretreat on the garment and it is usually cut with distilled water depending on the quantity of polyester in the garment. For example:

Say you are going to print on a pale yellow shirt that happens to be 50% Polyester and 50% cotton. What you would do is grab yourself a small spray bottle and mix half poly-pretreat and half of the bottles capacity distilled water, combine and then apply it to your garment. Use a sponge type roller to evenly distribute the pretreat on the shirts and then cure on the press with 10lbs of pressure for 10 to 12 seconds, then print.

If the garment is 80% Poly and 20% Cotton, than your mixture would consist of 80% Poly-pretreat and 20% Distilled water.

Again as long as you are printing on light colors where you do not have to use a white background behind the image, than you can print on polyester blends. THe moment you have to use the COLOR LAYER AUTO MASK setting, then you have to use at least 90% cotton garments.

THe only reason for this is the chemical make-up in the white ink is not the same that is found in the CMYK colors. The white ink has to sit up on the shirt to provide a nice white canvas for your color to print to so that you have a good vibrancy to your print. Because of these chemicals in the white, they can not adhere to a synthetic thread like polyester. Where the CMYK will bond to the polyester the white will not. Printing to a higher than 10% poly blended garment using the white mask background, may look ok when you print, but the moment you wash it, the print will come right off since the white could not bond to the synthetic thread. Thus all the CMYK colors on top of the white will come off as well.

I hope this helps clarify a bit

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
mardiv (July 26th, 2008), treadhead (July 27th, 2008)
Old July 26th, 2008 Jul 26, 2008 2:04:33 PM -   #3 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

In the past, the existing ink formulas required you to print CMYK only inks on polyester with the use of a pretreatment. Now, the new ink formulas from some of the companies are allowing printing on to polyester. There should be a new formula comining out in a couple months or so that has been receiving good reports from some of the manufacturers / distributors that have tested it on polyester.

Old July 27th, 2008 Jul 27, 2008 3:23:33 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Dan

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/direct-...ng/t51115.html
Dan
"HAPPY PRINTING"

Old July 27th, 2008 Jul 27, 2008 5:06:22 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

I have been printing on 50/50 t shirts (safety green) with a white underbase no problem, so I would disagree with some points.

As far as washability, I should know as my uncle wheres the shirt on his job several times a month.

Old July 27th, 2008 Jul 27, 2008 6:53:09 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: coach9

So are the results w/Dan's ink's just as impresive on cotton/poly blends and 100% cotton printing?

Old July 28th, 2008 Jul 28, 2008 5:04:38 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Steve
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I am using Dan's DTGInks. The prints on 100% cotton are nice deep prints and the washability is superior. I have done extensive wash testing against DuPont and R&H- with DTGInks coming out way ahead.

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/direct-...ng/t35996.html

In the wash test I posted in this thread, I was saying the R&H was superior in some aspects of appearance- but the DTGInks formula that Dan now sells had not been released yet when I did those wash tests. Yesterday I printed a desgn that I had printed before with R&H- which I had thought looked great with R&H. It looked richer and overall better with the DTGInks.

I have not printed a large quantity of poly blends, but the ones I hav done have had excellent results..

Last edited by Mistewoods; July 28th, 2008 at 05:10 AM..

This is a discussion about Printing on 100% Polyester that was posted in the DTG Brand section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in