DTG Kiosk white ink experience and question - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Brand
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future DTG Brand garment printer owners.

DTG Kiosk white ink experience and question

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 23rd, 2008 Jul 23, 2008 10:07:06 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default DTG Kiosk white ink experience and question

Ok, let me begin by stating i have had the DTG Kiosk with white upgrade for over 2 years. I have the ink set that is supposed to be less prone to clogging than the old inks offered in the past when we purchased the machine. Since then we have probably went through about 6 print heads trying to figure out this machine.
Printing on white shirts has been a breeze. most customers unfortunately want dark shirts.
I have had some success printing on darks but after printing on 5 darks the white fades and bands. I do head clean after head clean till it starts to print correctly again. But after 4 or 5 prints the white would band up again. I have tried the flushing with a syringe both pushing and pulling. The white always clogs the print head over time no matter what i seem to do.
The only way to fix this problem is buy a new print head.

This summer i bought a new head and replaced all the ink and the dampers ($$$ very costly $$$). The head printed about 100 times on white shirts perfectly. we had one order for 12 darks left to do. I started printing the darks and they were looking great, on the 3rd or 4th shirt the banding begun. I did a few head cleans and it printed 2 more shirts correctly then the white faded on the next .

I saw on this forum that this might be due to the screw on the carriage being loose or stripped. i remembered stripping out the hole a year or so ago and i just placed a larger screw in there and it seemed to work. After checking I found that the screw actually cracked the plastic and the bracket was not fastened to anything on one side. I replaced the carriage now but print head is too clogged to work. So i ordered another one, lucky number 7.

I think i will be back in business soon. However
i was wondering if anyone who has a Kiosk with the white upgrade was able to print more than five dark shirts without white banding or fading.
Any advice on keeping the white flowing properly other than flushing lines, back flushing dampers, windex in the capping station? I do all these and i still have clogging.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2008 Jul 23, 2008 10:28:22 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Don
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default Re: DTG Kiosk white ink experience and question

Make sure you machine is level (especially front to back), if you are getting ink starvation (which is what it sounds like) make sure your capping station is emmaculately clean, your lines going to your pumps are clear and that your printhead is seating properly on the capping station. If that is all okay, try raising the level of the white ink bottles by a half inch or so.

Let us know if this helps.

In regards to your question about printing numerous shirts without the issues you describe, yes we print continuously at shows and often times doing samples here as well. I have run over 30 shirts for samples without any starvation issues.

Old July 23rd, 2008 Jul 23, 2008 10:31:37 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

Hi Dragon Ink,

What type of maintenance are you doing on your machine? Are you shutting your machine off for any period of time? Also when you do turn it off are you putting a couple drops of distilled water or cleaning solution in your capping station to keep things moist? If you can give us more details of what your maintenance schedule is, then maybe there is something we can add to it that might make your machine more consistant.

Thanks

Old July 23rd, 2008 Jul 23, 2008 10:36:26 AM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,075 Times in 922 Posts

You should put in a new capping assembly. It is a wear item on that type of printer and you might want to think about replacing it at least once a year as regular maintenance. It should not be very expensive. Change out the entire assembly (capping station, pump, wipers), not just an individual component.

Harry

Old July 23rd, 2008 Jul 23, 2008 10:38:27 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Harry is right on here, the pump assembly, capping station, wiper blades and a new encoder strip only cost about $50 for the whole set. Plus, it's easier to replace all of them than just one component.

Old July 23rd, 2008 Jul 23, 2008 10:42:14 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

You are right Harry, after thinking on this one, it does sound like it could be the capping station. I still would like to know the maintenance because he states he has never been able to have consistent white results. If the results had been consistant, and then changed to not consistant, I would think something on the machine changed. But he says he has never had consistant results, which might be something as simple as a maintenance issue. It could be the capping station though.

Old July 23rd, 2008 Jul 23, 2008 3:53:19 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Brian

Also you hoses going into the ink bottles should be at least a .25" off of the bottom of the bottles for the white to keep from picking up sludge from bottom of bottles caused by the white ink settling/solidifying.

Old July 30th, 2008 Jul 30, 2008 9:41:39 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydayz
You are right Harry, after thinking on this one, it does sound like it could be the capping station. I still would like to know the maintenance because he states he has never been able to have consistent white results.
Thanks for all the great input! I appreciate all your help.

In response to Sunnydayz I understand maintenence is an important issue. I always leave the machine on and it has the board that does the auto-matic head cleans every 6 hours. I also wipe down the wiper blade with windex and clean the gunk from around capping station regularly.

I already have the tubes about 1/2" up from the bottom of the bottles like Vinyl sugested. so that base is covered.

Thanks Harry. It might be wise to install a new wiper blade and capping station they are over a year old.

For now, I think i'll try raising the white ink up a half inch as Don suggested and see what happens.

I have the new printer head installed and the carriage is replaced so that the bracket is nice and tight. So i will try printing and let you know how it goes.

You guys have been very helpful, thanks!

Old August 1st, 2008 Aug 1, 2008 3:29:21 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Grant

If your machine has Dampners, Replace all the White ones. These have small filters in them and can clog as well causing the machine the Print head tostarve of white ink. If you are not using you machine for a few days do your routine clean and leave a couple of drops of cleaning solution in the capping station. When you are ready to re-use draw white ink through the lines to flush lines, Use a syringe and drw 20ml of each line of white and put back into bottles. You will have to also do a small ink fill as they can get air in the print head after this. This will keep lines clean and sedimant free as well. You will see in the white ink lines that the ink statrs to seperate if it has done this then you should draw the ink. Keep all white bottles adjitated daily as well. Alot of people repalce ink heads when infact half the time it is your dampners. I back flush my white dampners weekly and have nopt replaced a ink head for over 8 months and it is still fine.

Old August 7th, 2008 Aug 7, 2008 5:17:14 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

Ok time for an update. I have replaced the capping station and the wiper blades last week. I thought this would eliminate any starvation issues. I now have a different problem. the printer does not print anything other than a nozzle check. It goes back and forth and prints nothing. I have checked the head and the nozzles they are both clear of any clogging. The last time i had this happen the ribbon cable was damaged. I checked the ribbon cable and its fine. I even checked out the bottom of the printhead to see if the connection was fried but it was fine. I was worried it was a motherboard issue$$$. but after sitting overnight i came in early morning and tried to print an image. It printed perfectly. I tried to do it again and it went back to just going through the motions no ink at all. i have tried rebooting the computer turning off the printer and unplugging it for a couple hrs. but nothing is working. I am completely stumped. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old August 7th, 2008 Aug 7, 2008 5:48:27 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Dragon,

If you replaced your print head carriage at any point you need to make sure you removed the paper sensor on the bottom left side. The symptom you are resporting can be caused by not removing this sensor.

Hope this helps!

Old August 7th, 2008 Aug 7, 2008 6:19:25 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don-SWF East
Dragon,

If you replaced your print head carriage at any point you need to make sure you removed the paper sensor on the bottom left side. The symptom you are resporting can be caused by not removing this sensor.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the pointer but i have already removed the sensor and no change.
I'm wondering if the dampers are clogged from lack of inkflow in the past. so im running cleaning solution through the lines. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

This is a discussion about DTG Kiosk white ink experience and question that was posted in the DTG Brand section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in