DTG Kiosk II, Ink ran on recent order when it got wet. - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Brand
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future DTG Brand garment printer owners.

DTG Kiosk II, Ink ran on recent order when it got wet.

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 22nd, 2008 Jul 22, 2008 6:50:54 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Amy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default DTG Kiosk II, Ink ran on recent order when it got wet.

I just got a call from a client who had an event this past weekend. We had provided her some white, 100% cotton shirts, printed on the front and the back. We printed them, cured them on the heat press and packed them up, just like every other order we make.
I guess the staff who was wearing the shirts got into a water fight at the event, and the ink RAN down the shirts!

I've never had this issue. We make shirts and wash them all the time. Has anyone had any issues with a bad batch of ink, or any suggestions as to what might have happened?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2008 Jul 22, 2008 7:20:17 AM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,075 Times in 922 Posts

Default Re: DTG Kiosk II, Ink ran on recent order when it got wet.

If you ran the job last week and still have the same ink set in your printer, I would suggest running a sample shirt today with the same art. Use the same type shirt, the same print settings as you used for the original job, and dry it the same amount of time. Test wash it and see how it comes out.

Harry

Old July 22nd, 2008 Jul 22, 2008 8:55:32 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Don
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Thanks for jumping in Harry. The few times I have seen this happen it has either been associated with the heat press showing an incorrect temperature (and thus, not fully curing the inks) or an issue with the shirts themselves (some manufacturers treat their cotton shirts with a sizing compound that can react adversely with direct to garment inks).

We have not had any reported bad batches of color inks, when were the inks purchased and what type are they (TEX, TEX2 or TEX Brights)?

Old July 22nd, 2008 Jul 22, 2008 10:22:49 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

We did a test print, as Harry suggested. We printed both the imprint from last week and another design at the same time, cured it, then got it wet. We can see what she's talking about. It is as if the colors are bleeding out into the shirt when it is wet. We're thinking that might happen all the time, but normally it's in the washer and we can't actually see it. I bet it will go away as the shirt dries.

That being said, we turned the shirt over to a test print we made several weeks ago to try to match red colors to a project. On that side of the shirt there is yellow ink fading out from the red blocks. It's clearly pure yellow. The design in question was a brownish color, so it was made up of a lot of yellow. This yellow might be the culprit.

We have mostly TEX Bright inks right now with a few bottles of the TEX2 left. The yellow in question is a TEX2. We'll replace that bottle with a Bright and do the test prints again.

Old July 22nd, 2008 Jul 22, 2008 10:51:40 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Z
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Another thing that you may try, is to increase your curing time just to see if that makes any difference. If it's particularly humid in your shop(or where the shirts are shipped from) you may not be expelling all the moisture that is in the cotton. Increase the time on one half of the shirt, check the temp and test soak.

Old July 22nd, 2008 Jul 22, 2008 11:18:46 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Ah! Very good idea. We'll try that before we switch out the bottles. I'll report back later this evening or tomorrow. Thanks for the responses

Old July 22nd, 2008 Jul 22, 2008 11:22:29 AM -   #7 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

Do you mind telling everyone what type of shirt you used? Maybe someone else that has that same shirt can try the same test. I would tend to go with Don on this one. Sizing can affect the curing process. I believe Justin Walker mentioned that he heat presses the shirt first if there is sizing on it to help take it out. Might want to try that as well. Good luck.

Old July 22nd, 2008 Jul 22, 2008 11:29:04 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

We use the Gildan 2000 100% Cotton 6.1 oz. T for most of our jobs (including this one). I'm not familiar with "sizing". I'll float around the board and look for some posts about it.

Old July 22nd, 2008 Jul 22, 2008 12:42:50 PM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

Also maybe you can tell us exactly how you are curing them. This might help if maybe there is a better cure temp and time that we know. Thanks.

Old July 22nd, 2008 Jul 22, 2008 12:52:58 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Chris

I have had this problem before with some shirts for a softball team. I upped the time I cure the shirts and have not had a problem since.

Old July 22nd, 2008 Jul 22, 2008 5:41:25 PM -   #11 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,075 Times in 922 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frommarz
We use the Gildan 2000 100% Cotton 6.1 oz. T for most of our jobs (including this one). I'm not familiar with "sizing". I'll float around the board and look for some posts about it.

We've been using Gildan 2000 white shirts for sample prints for some time now and these are the shirts we send out to potential customers to review and wash test. So far we have not gotten negative comments back so my feeling is that the 2000 shirt is not your problem. I agree that you should first try increasing your heating time and then test again.

Harry

Last edited by equipmentzone; July 22nd, 2008 at 06:06 PM..

Old July 22nd, 2008 Jul 22, 2008 7:12:27 PM -   #12 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

I would also maybe lessen the pressure on your press if you have heavy pressure on it. Curing only takes very light pressure because you want the moisture to be able to escape.

Old July 23rd, 2008 Jul 23, 2008 6:13:44 AM -   #13 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Don
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I doubt it is the ink, especially the TEX2 as that ink would be at least 9 months old now and most of it would have been consumed in the field by now. If the ink was indeed bad, we would have heard about it long ago (as would all of the other OEM's who were using that ink vendor).

Keep us up to date.

Old July 24th, 2008 Jul 24, 2008 8:10:52 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Jim

Gildan shirts should be no problem. We did have problems one time with aprons...they are treated with a stain release product, keeps the ink from sticking too.

Old July 24th, 2008 Jul 24, 2008 8:19:14 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

After completely washing the shirt, the extra color is all gone. My partner has been printing another order and hasn't gone back to test the other suggestions yet. I'll definitely come back and update when he does that. Thanks for all the help! This board is great!

This is a discussion about DTG Kiosk II, Ink ran on recent order when it got wet. that was posted in the DTG Brand section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in