DTG Print Heads - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Brand
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future DTG Brand garment printer owners.

DTG Print Heads

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 30th, 2008 Jun 30, 2008 11:02:01 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default DTG Print Heads

Has anyone else had any trouble with clogged print heads very frequently in the past couple of months for the DTG. We have replaced 4 print heads in the past month and a couple of days, 2 on each of our machines. They have been printing about 14 hours a day 6 days a week and on Sundays head cleanings and nozzle checks are always done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2008 Jun 30, 2008 11:15:07 AM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

Default Re: DTG Print Heads

I would get a digital temperature / humidity gauge and see what the printer manufacturer has for the recommended settings. Might also want to look at your dampers or cartridges as you could have an ink stravation issue. The final thing that comes to my mind is what ink you are using and if there might be something wrong with it. A call to you distributor might help you work through these questions.

Good luck.

Old June 30th, 2008 Jun 30, 2008 11:25:47 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

They told us it could be a tempature issue at one time, we checked that and it is ok. We also replaced the dampers about a month ago and they are in perfect shape.

Old June 30th, 2008 Jun 30, 2008 11:50:55 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

What machine if I may ask?

Old June 30th, 2008 Jun 30, 2008 11:56:25 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: chris
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I think he said a dtg if I am not mistaken

Old June 30th, 2008 Jun 30, 2008 12:12:59 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

Its a kiosk. One machine is the Kiosk one with the valve system in the back and the other is a kiosk two with the lines coming straight from the bottles to the dampers. They were both bought as kiosk ones but we have only changed one of them.

Old June 30th, 2008 Jun 30, 2008 12:32:42 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Matt

I just had a similar issue. You need to be cleaning the heads and doing nozzle checks daily. I spend 30 minutes every night cleaning the head, capping station wiper blade, ribbon, rails and anything else that looks dirty. If i am not using it, i at least do a nozzle check in the moring and leave it on. i had a head clog in the middle of a 700 shirt run. by the time i was back up and running i had lost 1 1/2 weeks. never again. Now when i do a nozzle check in the am, it is perfect every time. I came up with a chart that my wife and i follow to help make sure everything gets done. HTH..

Matt

Old June 30th, 2008 Jun 30, 2008 12:48:42 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

Hey Matt I always do head cleanings and nozzle checks first thing in the morning and several times through out the day. They would be perfect for a couple of weeks and then all of a sudden one day I will come in and my nozzle checks look like crap, and the machine is never the same until a new print head is put in

Old June 30th, 2008 Jun 30, 2008 1:04:29 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

Sounds like you are covering all the bases. I would look at my pump/capping station. It ma have reached its life or check your ink bottles (on the machine or your supply) for any dried ink that may be getting into the lines. But I would check my capping station first.

Old June 30th, 2008 Jun 30, 2008 1:24:18 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Matt

josh, how do you clean the head itself? i misread your post, i read it as you only did headcleanings and nozzle checks on sundays.. my bad. when you shut down for the night, do you leave it on? Do you leave a few drops of cleaning solution in the capping station? i do both. So far so good (knock on wood) it takes alot longer but it seems to be worth it. i also noticed that when i would run low on ink, i would not fill them up all at the same time. that also seemed to create some issues. if i fill them all up at the same time and keep them at 3/4. seems to work good. i am looking into creating/inventing a bulk system. Kinda like the t-jet systems. there is no reason that we could not have 1 qt bottles off to the side that it draws from. it would make it easier to fill and monitor also. One other question. Are you set up for white ink? If so, do you flush it out once a week. i wans't in the beginning, but i have noticed that towards the end of the week, i get clumps of white on the head. i am monitoring this.

Old June 30th, 2008 Jun 30, 2008 1:53:05 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

Hey Matt, I always put solution in the capping station at night but never leave my machines on. I had on 2 occasions mornings where I came in after the machines were left on all night and ink every where on my floor. It had sucked 7 full bottles of ink completely bone dry, very costly and the only explanation I got was that is was gravity, I think someone just didnt want to full with me that day because as you could guess I wasnt in the best of moods.

I do print white ink on one of my 2 machines. I usually never flush lines becuase we print extremely good white ink...knock on wood, usually cant even hit the shirt with a second layer because the ink will run down the shirt when I go to dry it. Plus the problems I have been having with these print heads has been the color ink lines, which makes it even more puzzling since its not as thick of ink and I print much more color than I do white.

Old June 30th, 2008 Jun 30, 2008 2:24:35 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Zhen

Josh, do you filter your ink through a coffee strainer before putting it in the bottles?

If the ink is free from debris/settlement you shouldn't really be losing print heads so soon. Also, what process have you been using to save your print heads? A flush and backflush? Flushign and black flushing usually clears clogs in the color lines easily.

Old July 1st, 2008 Jul 1, 2008 4:26:58 AM -   #13 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Don

Josh,

What color inks are you using? What color is clogging? Where are you storing your inks until they are used?

I look forward to your replies, hope I can help!

Old July 1st, 2008 Jul 1, 2008 5:11:25 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

Hey Don we have been using Colman Bright Inks and we store them in the same room as we print in.

Old July 1st, 2008 Jul 1, 2008 5:31:57 AM -   #15 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Don

Quote:
Hey Don we have been using Colman Bright Inks and we store them in the same room as we print in.
What color is causing the issue?

PS - feel free to contact me at 877-793-3278 ext 122 if you would like or email me direct at [email protected]

Thanks

This is a discussion about DTG Print Heads that was posted in the DTG Brand section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in