MESA customers, KIOSK & HM-1 USERS IN HERE - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Brand
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future DTG Brand garment printer owners.

MESA customers, KIOSK & HM-1 USERS IN HERE

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 29th, 2008 May 29, 2008 1:29:33 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default MESA customers, KIOSK & HM-1 USERS IN HERE

Unfortunately i havent posted on here in a while, however i would like to get some feedback, comments etc on this issue that ive been having for the last couple of monthes.

I have an HM-1 that I purchased through MESA Dist in Texas because our Kiosk had completely failed and was just not reliable at all. We ran the HM-1 for about a month until it started to have a continuous string of problems.

Since then I have contacted MESA about 3-4 times a week and have been through the ringer dealing with their service department. Most of the time I have to wait a day or two to even hear back from them, if i hear back from them at all.

Long story short, my HM-1 has not worked constantly for about 5 months after countless hours on the phone with techs, new RIP PROs and numerous service calls, and I am sick of dealing with MESA as, in my opinion, their service is very poor and their knowledge of their machines is very little.

I recently asked for a copy of our service records from their service department for our records, and I was informed that they could not be released to me, as they could be "used to open a case against MESA". I thought that was an interesting response. Just food for thought.

I want to know if I am the only MESA/SWF customer that has experienced this frustrating customer service and horrible machine performance. Please feel free to PM me or post in this thread any comments or thoughts.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2008 May 29, 2008 1:39:00 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

Default Re: MESA customers, KIOSK & HM-1 USERS IN HERE

I myself have not had any problems with mesa. They have actually reponded quite well when I have had an issue. I did have to have my mother board replaced a month or so ago and they fixed it quite fast, with in a week. I would think you shouldnt have any problem getting your service records as they pertain to your machine hmmmm. That is wierd. What exactly is the problem you are having with your machine, maybe someone can help you with that

Old May 29th, 2008 May 29, 2008 1:49:32 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

sunnydayz, thanks for ur comment, i just read your post and its good to hear that your machine is up and running.

To be honest with you our machine has had all the problems you could think of. Currently it is printing a shadow around images, and especially lettering. kinda hard to describe but it looks like the lettering has been edited to have a 3D effect. Unfortunately, it has not been edited at all.

A tech came, looked at it and tried messing with the RIP PRO and after a while determined that it was possibly the encoder wheel and sensor. This is just the most recent problem that our machine.

I have encountered, clogged heads, clogged dampers, mis colored prints, lines in the printing, off set prints, problems with the white, agitator not turning on, broken wiper motor, some weird piece of plastic that somehow blocked the printer head assembly from returning to the home position that had to bed snapped off, RIP PRO problems....i think you get the idea

and we have only owned the machine for about 8 months, this sound like the performance of a $20,000+ machine?

Old May 29th, 2008 May 29, 2008 7:07:36 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

I too have an HM-1 that I've had about 5 months. I agree that sometimes it takes a day or two for Mesa Techs to respond. I've also had them not respond at all. My machine is currently working ok. My latest problem is that I get very thin horizontal lines (through text) in my magenta that don't repeat. It might print one letter ok then the letter next to it has horizontal lines running through it. The Tech told me that it could be the percentage of magenta I'm printing. I didn't think it mattered what percentage of any color was printing to acheive a color match. This machine should print any color, any percentage period. I also find that I can't print more than 6-8 shirts before I have to do a head cleaning to keep the white ink consistant. I'm trying to stay positive with the situation, but for $20,000 I'm wondering if it was the right choice for me.

Old May 29th, 2008 May 29, 2008 8:08:15 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Eembroidered, regarding the 3d effect you are saying you are getting, is there anyway you can post a pic of what it is doing? it would be alot easier to help with that by seeing a pic of the print. How high are you raising your printbed? The way I do it is raise up until the gap stops it and makes it go down, and then I click up one more time. Its amazing what that one click can do to eleminate the ghosting around an image. I dont think it sounds like your encoder strip or wheel as usually this will make your printhead go a little crazy but I dont think it would have an effect like that.
As far as the clogged heads, clogged dampers, mis colored prints, lines in the printing, off set prints, problems with the white, these all can have to do with maintenance, print settings, humidity and temp in your print area. All of these things will effect the performance of the printer. Was the plastic piece you are talking about the wiper blade that got snapped off, that could explain the new wiper assembly as the wiper is the only thing that comes between the print head and the capping station. How is your registration? Is your white and color layers lined up well?

I totally understand that with the rip it is a total learning process and knowing the right settings will have a complete effect on your print results. Where did you go for your training with your machine and what distributor do you deal with. Maybe I can help you thru some things that will help your printer run better. It will take some time to go thru what you are doing with maintenance, what settings you use, how your environment is where the machine is and such but if you are willing, I am willing to try to help

I asked all the questions I have to see what I can do to help It will give me a better idea of what is going on.

Old May 29th, 2008 May 29, 2008 8:27:21 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Hi Mark

With the dtg printers it is important to understand that they print in a cmyk color space where as your monitor displays your print in RGB so alot of times what you see on screen is not going to look exactly like what it prints. A good idea for this is to print out a color chart and match your colors in your graphic to the colors from the chart, this will be much more accurate for color matching. It sounds like you may be getting a bit of banding on your magenta. what kind of maintenance are you doing on your machine? It almost sounds like maybe your dampers may have a little buildup. Have you tried flushing your machine with a mixture of distilled water and cleaning solution? I would try this and see if you get better results.

I am going to list what I do for maintenance and maybe this will help you some as I know from helping some people that they werent taught the complete way to do maintenance correctly.

Every day I wipe my capping station with a foam tip swab with cleaning solution all around the edges.
I also clean my wiper blade well and make sure there is no ink buildup on it. sometimes it is hard to see but the ink has a tendancy to buildup on it if not cleaned on a regular basis.
I do a nozzle check every day to make sure all colors are printing well.
I print at least once a day.
At the end of each day I put a few drops of cleaning solution (the clear one) in my capping station before it homes for the night. If you dont have the clear solution alot of people use just distilled water or windex, just make sure the windex is not the streak free kind as it has a type of wax in it that is not good for the printhead.
Every three to four days I wipe down the bottom of my printhead with a foam tip swab with cleaning solution to make sure there is no buildup on the bottom of my printhead.
I also flush my whole system with distilled water every 4 to 5 weeks and this really helps to keep things flowing well.

As far as the room I have my printer in, I always make sure my humidity level does not go below 45% and try to keep it up in the 50's for best printer performance. You can get a digital humidity reader at any home depot or other garden store. If the humidity gets low use a humidifier in the area. try to keep the room at a decent temp and not to hot, if it gets to hot it can cause banding issues because the heat can dry the ink on the nozzles as it is water based.

Let me know if any of this helps you

Old May 29th, 2008 May 29, 2008 8:53:55 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Zhen

Lines in Magenta has always been a problem with DTG. Even with your best alignment there will always be some sort of banding in magenta prints especially if you print at 720dpi or lower.

Old May 29th, 2008 May 29, 2008 9:01:15 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Zhengie, I myself dont have any problems but maybe the hm1 is different with the different printhead than the kiosk, but you are right, I totally forgot to ask what dpi he is printing at as that could also be a problem.

Old May 29th, 2008 May 29, 2008 10:11:09 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Zhen

Yeah I think its more of a 2200 print head issue.

Old May 29th, 2008 May 29, 2008 10:13:32 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

That was what I was thinking also because the R2400 lays down a bit more ink. I remember when I went to see the kiosk and the hm1 print side by side and there was a pretty good difference.

Old May 30th, 2008 May 30, 2008 6:47:24 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenjie
Lines in Magenta has always been a problem with DTG. Even with your best alignment there will always be some sort of banding in magenta prints especially if you print at 720dpi or lower.
I have a regular Kiosk and don't have banding at 720 dpi, but I have terrible banding at 360 dpi, so bad that I cannot even print anything at that resolution.

I'm getting an Epson 2200 soon, I want to test print at 360 with Epson ink and see if I get banding, then switch over to DTG ink and see if the banding appears.

As for Mesa's support.. they've always been great and helped us work through our problems, I just think they are a little understaffed so it usually takes them awhile to get back to you.
They do have someone who takes calls and the problem description and hands that off to a tech, it would be helpful if that person had a little more training so that if a part on your machine needs to be replaced they can direct you to the supplies department, instead of you waiting several hours or days for a tech to call you back and tell you that you just need to get a new damper or line from the supplies department.

Old May 30th, 2008 May 30, 2008 7:48:50 AM -   #12 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

I can understand why the HM-1 (running 4 channels of white ink) drops more white ink down than the Kiosk (running 3 channels of white ink), but I am not sure about the CMYK channels. It was my understanding that the Kiosk (which is based off of a 2200 printer) has one of the largest dot sizes of any Epson printer - including the 2400 printer which the HM-1 is used off of. So I am not sure why the Kiosk would not be able to print without banding on the same resolution that the HM-1 can. The only thing I can think of is that the HM-1 does print faster than the Kiosk, so it is laying down more ink at a higher resolution than the Kiosk can do in the same time at a lower resolution. Seems a little weird, but maybe someone at Mesa can clarify this.

Old June 2nd, 2008 Jun 2, 2008 8:17:07 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Sunnydayz, i actually do the same thing with raising the bed. i just hit the button one more time after it sets it down from the top, so i know that this hazing/3d effect is being cause by something else.

I have also been over the "optimal operating environment" with the techs at mesa, and we determined that the room temperature, and humidity was in a perfect range in our store.

and i print colors at 1440 x 720dpi.

i will work on getting some pictures up if the problems persist, however we have a tech coming today to replace the encoder wheel and sensor which MESA says will fix the problem.

thanks for all you replies.

Old June 4th, 2008 Jun 4, 2008 6:38:52 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Adam

Where are you located and what is the Temp and Humidity level in your shop?

Old June 4th, 2008 Jun 4, 2008 10:41:02 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTomahawk
Where are you located and what is the Temp and Humidity level in your shop?
san rafael, california

temperature ranges from 50-65*F in our store
humidity is steady at about 60%

and our encoder wheel/sensor was replaced yesterday. helped a little bit, the printing is still off though. not happy with my machine at all.

This is a discussion about MESA customers, KIOSK & HM-1 USERS IN HERE that was posted in the DTG Brand section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in