printing small or 'bulky' items - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Brand
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future DTG Brand garment printer owners.

printing small or 'bulky' items

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 27th, 2008 May 27, 2008 5:29:12 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default printing small or 'bulky' items

I've had my Kiosk II for about three weeks now and love it. I've printed probably a couple hundred shirts with few problems. Now I want to print some slightly unusual items- baby bibs, small hand towels, and some toddler T-shirts. My problem is how do you attach these to the platen so that they stay flat and fairly secure? I have a youth platen and a pocket platen, but neither of these really do what i need. I've used tape but there's got to be a better way. Also, because some of these items have a band of stitching around the edge that 'sits up' taller than the material, I can't get them as close to the printhead as a regular T and thus the image isn't as sharp because of that. Anybody else had to deal with these issues and found a solution?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2008 May 27, 2008 7:09:35 PM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

Default Re: printing small or 'bulky' items

Most people will use something that will raise the part of the garment that you want to print on higher than the rest (i.e. several blank mousepads are use the most) and print on that area. If you want to hold the item down, you can always use rubber bands and wrap them aroung your platen and over the part of the item that is not going to be printed on. Just be careful when you remove the rubber bands not to touch the print. Pretty simple and cheap alternative. I am sure there are others that will have their own unique system.

Old May 27th, 2008 May 27, 2008 9:55:15 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Matt

I always keep some 1/8 form core around and cut to the area that needs to be raised and then if necessary I can spray with tack spray to keep it from moving
Also pressing item before will make it easier to handle
Have fun with it

Old May 27th, 2008 May 27, 2008 10:32:08 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

Hey mark, I never thought of rubber bands hehe what a great idea, I always use tape. I use cardboard to raise up the lower area and it works great. I just add layers until I get the perfect height. The cardboard I use is like 1/16 inch thick and I get it at kelly paper, I then just cut it to size for whatever I am printing. To me sometimes mouse pads are too thick so that is why I use the thiner cardboard.

Old May 28th, 2008 May 28, 2008 4:00:46 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Great ideas everybody. Thanks.

Old May 28th, 2008 May 28, 2008 6:08:07 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Don
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

A wise old man once said

"you can print on most anything, you simply need to be smarter than the item you are printing on"

I know I've been challenged by some items sent in for samples. Thinking outside the box pays big sometimes. I usually suggest the mousepads like Mark suggested, however, the rubberbands are also useful.

Another tip, while we are at it, have you ever tried to mount something to your shirtboard that was too "thin" to be held tight (either by the hoop or the Tucloc)? Try placing a plain t-shirt on the platen under the itme to be printed - this should help "tighten up" the garment and keep it from slipping.

Happy Printing!

This is a discussion about printing small or 'bulky' items that was posted in the DTG Brand section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in