HM1 Kiosk not printing the correct colors - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Brand
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future DTG Brand garment printer owners.

HM1 Kiosk not printing the correct colors

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 31st, 2008 Jan 31, 2008 4:50:37 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Jorge
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default HM1 Kiosk not printing the correct colors

hello everybody, i'm new to this site but it seems that i find more information here than actually calling the dtg tech support. I have a HM1 Kiosk. I've owned it for like almost two months now. I have had problems since i've bought it. first the white underbase wouldn't spray correctly and now it's not printing the correct colors. for example i have a design with dark green and it prints brown. It was printing this design before correctly and just started doing it. I have called the tech support and it seems like they are not much help. first of all the technician is never there and they take forever to call back. Is there any suggestions on what i could do or any ideas on what the problem is. i have done head cleanings, they sent me the new cartridge system. they tell me to keep doing head cleanings but as a poor colloege student i can't be wasting the ink just like that. any advise would help.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2008 Jan 31, 2008 4:57:51 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

Default Re: HM1 Kiosk not printing the correct colors

I too have the HM1 and havent had this happen. I know at certain times depending on what program I am printing from I get different results as the color profiles seem to work different program to program. Have you checked your advanced settings to make sure they are all correct? The cartridges are only for your white ink right ? Is your white ink printing correctly now? if I were on my other computer I could tell you the settings in the advanced menu but I am not on it right now. Let me know if you need me if you need, I can go in there and list them for you.

Old January 31st, 2008 Jan 31, 2008 5:15:45 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Like Bobbie mentioned, profiles change program to program.

Things to check:
Are you printing out of a different program?
Did you change the color space in that program?
Did you change any of the advanced settings?
Are you ink lines full up to the damper? I had this problem once, I wish Dan wouldve had print jockey then!

Hope that helps.

Old January 31st, 2008 Jan 31, 2008 5:33:04 PM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

Jorge,

To start off with, please tell us the following:
1. What graphic program are you printing from? CorelDraw, Photoshop
2. What type of file format are you trying to print? CDR, PSD, JPG,...
3. What is the color space of the graphic and what source profile are you printing from?

Answering these questions will help get you closer to your answer. What is happening is your Dark Green is out-of-gamut and the printer is dumping all types of ink that creates the Brown. I hate to say it because so many people in this industry love Corel, but Photoshop is just an easier program to get the best colors from. Even if you invest in the Photoshop Elements program (under $100), you will see the difference. Not saying you can't get good colors from Corel, but depending on what the graphic file type is and how it was created...you are going to have more challenges with it. Especially since CorelDraw will automatically convert any RGB vector objects into CMYK and print it using SWOP (which is not a great profile).

Hope this helps some.

Mark

Old January 31st, 2008 Jan 31, 2008 6:01:24 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

well i'm using Photoshop. I haven't changed anything to the files that have been printing good before. But the cartridges are only for the white i put all eight on including the colored. was i not supposed to? how do you guys have it set up?

Old January 31st, 2008 Jan 31, 2008 6:20:41 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

oops that was my mistake hehe the cartridges go to all colors, sorry its been a long day. Have you checked your advanced settings to make sure they are correct? I know every once in a while mine end up being different, somehow or another they have gotten changed and I need to put them back to the correct settings. I would check and make sure they are right.

Old January 31st, 2008 Jan 31, 2008 6:22:52 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAGuide
Jorge,

To start off with, please tell us the following:
1. What graphic program are you printing from? CorelDraw, Photoshop
2. What type of file format are you trying to print? CDR, PSD, JPG,...
3. What is the color space of the graphic and what source profile are you printing from?

Answering these questions will help get you closer to your answer. What is happening is your Dark Green is out-of-gamut and the printer is dumping all types of ink that creates the Brown. I hate to say it because so many people in this industry love Corel, but Photoshop is just an easier program to get the best colors from. Even if you invest in the Photoshop Elements program (under $100), you will see the difference. Not saying you can't get good colors from Corel, but depending on what the graphic file type is and how it was created...you are going to have more challenges with it. Especially since CorelDraw will automatically convert any RGB vector objects into CMYK and print it using SWOP (which is not a great profile).

Hope this helps some.

Mark

Hi Mark,
I was wondering, you mentioned above that SWOP is not a great profile, would that be the same as swop simulated? the reason I ask is, that is what the distributor told us to use with our HM1, was the swop simulated. Is there a better profile to use besides the swop simulated ? Thanks so much.

Last edited by sunnydayz; January 31st, 2008 at 06:28 PM..

Old January 31st, 2008 Jan 31, 2008 7:01:40 PM -   #8 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Bobbie,

What I said is a recent thing that I and the guys at iProof just realized with the help of a Corel color guru. Up till recently, your distirbutor was probably correct. I am pretty sure that most of the distributors that sell the iProof RIPs are not aware of this. The iProof profiles are much better than the SWOP profiles. The SWOP profiles were not made for the decorated apparel industry, not made for the dtg inks and certainly will not made to give the best colors after going under a heat press for a period of time. I think most people would be amazed with the amount of time and effort iProof puts into creating their profiles.

iProof is dilligently working on create both an internal name (that a dtg user would understand what it means) and an external name (that is used by the software) for all their profiles. You are talking about a lot of work. Once this is done, a new build of your RIP will be released. Then, you will need to change your Corel color management settings to override Corel using the SWOP profile and set the correct iProof profile (using the internal name).

Hope this clears some things up.

Mark

Old January 31st, 2008 Jan 31, 2008 7:10:19 PM -   #9 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg graphics
well i'm using Photoshop. I haven't changed anything to the files that have been printing good before. But the cartridges are only for the white i put all eight on including the colored. was i not supposed to? how do you guys have it set up?
Okay, if your settings in the graphics and the settings in the RIP have absolutely not changed, then it might be something to do with your ink delivery system. But you can try to uninstall your RIP and reinstall it to make sure nothing happened to the code. You might also want to print a color chart to see what colors are able to be printed. If you don't have a color chart, you can download one here - www.multirip.com/Photoshop_RGB.zip. This is something I developed with iProof. If you do this, call the distributor and ask them what settings you should use. Then you can show them the colors your printer can get based on those settings.

Hope this gets you going in the right direction. Good luck.

Mark

Old January 31st, 2008 Jan 31, 2008 7:14:26 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

So should I still be using SWOP simulated then ? thanks

Old January 31st, 2008 Jan 31, 2008 7:22:25 PM -   #11 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

For the time being, yes if your graphic is vector, setup in CMYK and you are printing out of Corel. If not, then your settings in the RIP need to match what your graphic is. With Photoshop, you get a warning when you open a new file that tells you want your graphic's embedded profile is and it allows you to keep it, discard it or change it. Corel does not do this. You have to go into the color management to do this. This is one of the reasons why I like Photoshop better.

Last edited by DAGuide; January 31st, 2008 at 08:23 PM..

Old February 1st, 2008 Feb 1, 2008 4:22:49 PM -   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

I called the tech support and hthey told me to clean the print head. I did so and now have another problem. everytime i turn it on it does the cleaning and then goes to the left and shuts off. i called them back and they said it might be the printer cable connecting to the print head. now they can't send it till monday. maybe i just have bad luck, one problem after another. i'll let you guys know what happens. thanks for your help.

Old February 1st, 2008 Feb 1, 2008 4:28:55 PM -   #13 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Just out of curiosity, which distributor did you buy your machine from ? How long have you had it? It definately could be a loose connection somewhere as I have never heard of a problem where the machine turns itself off. Have you checked your connections on the print head?

Old February 2nd, 2008 Feb 2, 2008 10:03:42 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

i got it from mesa distributors, and i've had it for a little over a month. I checked the connection and everything looked fine, just the way it was before.

Old February 6th, 2008 Feb 6, 2008 5:53:08 AM -   #15 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Don
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

jd,

You might want to also post these questions on the DTG Forums, Mesa can get you an invitation if you are not already on them - pm me if you have problems getting on

Hope this helps!

This is a discussion about HM1 Kiosk not printing the correct colors that was posted in the DTG Brand section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in