50/50 Shirts verses 100% Cotton - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Brand
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future DTG Brand garment printer owners.

50/50 Shirts verses 100% Cotton

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old November 15th, 2007 Nov 15, 2007 5:15:11 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default 50/50 Shirts verses 100% Cotton

Hi All,

I have been testing Hanes 50/50 t-shirts and hoodies in DTG printers without any type of pretreatment. These are lighter shirts, white, ash, yellow..etc. I thought I would have problems with the DTG. I also called the help line for the Kiosk printer and asked. I was surprised that they said the only issue that might occur is a glossy look to the finish after curing. I thought we were not able to print on 50/50 garments in the DTG? I have also tried to washing the garment and it looks great, no issues.

Anyone else print on 50/50 with no problems?

Thanks,
Nabs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2007 Nov 15, 2007 11:01:11 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Default Re: 50/50 Shirts verses 100% Cotton

I have printed 100% poly with no problems. I just have to hit 3 times and cure longer. I won't do them for the same cost of course ad I try and steer my customers away from it if I can help it.

Old November 16th, 2007 Nov 16, 2007 9:41:12 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Vince

I don't think 50/50 is very good for DTG, IMO. I think if you did a wash test with the exact same image on a 50/50 shirt and a 100% cotton shirt and then washed both together 5 times, you would notice a big difference, side by side. Try it before selling some 50/50 shirts.
I will not print anything less than 80/20 (and that is only for sweatshirts with a full cotton face), because I just have not found them to be high enough quality after many washes compared to 100% cotton.

Old November 16th, 2007 Nov 16, 2007 3:40:32 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Be careful when curing hoodies and quarter zips. The plastic in the draw strings will melt with direct contact to the platen. The quarter zips, generally all plastic, are a lost cause if placed in contact with the platen.

Old November 22nd, 2007 Nov 22, 2007 5:46:04 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

50/50's never came out as nice as 100% cotton for us

Old December 7th, 2008 Dec 7, 2008 10:53:29 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiwally
50/50's never came out as nice as 100% cotton for us
I have not printed anything other than 55hemp/45 cotton the pictures come brighter and the is no fading issues some of mine are over a year old but the blanks are pricy and I do not pretreat other than blacks

Old December 9th, 2008 Dec 9, 2008 5:45:25 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Simon

hemp is the same as cotton for us when traditional screenprinting, so i cant see any reasons it would be different on dtg.

only thing i can think of is that hemp products wear better and last longer, so the lifespan of whatever you apply to the garment is the issue

Old December 9th, 2008 Dec 9, 2008 10:25:05 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

I have a retail store,and I had a lot of shirts printed and by all methods,for some reason (I am not an expert here) silk screening graphics apear to peel off/fade after a little while on hemp mixed garments, but it does not on DGP, I was told by my hemp wholesaler that it is because hemp absorbs the ink better than coton. Keep in mind that most of the silk screening was outsoursed but there were 6 different companies with the same problem. I had a few printed on dgp last year(anajet) as a trial and the graphics look sharp after a year. Could be that the printers did not do things properly as unlikely as it sounds

Old February 11th, 2009 Feb 11, 2009 8:02:43 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstr
I will not print anything less than 80/20 (and that is only for sweatshirts with a full cotton face), because I just have not found them to be high enough quality after many washes compared to 100% cotton.
What brand 80/20 are you using or would you suggest? How do you tell if it has the full cotton face? Does anyone sell a 100% cotton sweatshirt?

Thanks

Old April 3rd, 2009 Apr 3, 2009 6:05:21 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

we tried to use 50/50, and out shirts ended up fading after being washed. The 100% cotton hold the ink much much better and helps resist fading

This is a discussion about 50/50 Shirts verses 100% Cotton that was posted in the DTG Brand section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in