Ink Dampers - DTG Kiosk - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Brand
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future DTG Brand garment printer owners.

Ink Dampers - DTG Kiosk

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 28th, 2007 Jun 28, 2007 7:58:23 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Ink Dampers - DTG Kiosk

I have had my Kiosk for 1 month and have had considerable problems with dampers clogging to the point that they cannot be cleaned out. Right out of the box I had 5 dampers that would not take ink. They did replace these dampers. Lately I have been having issues with white clogging and now they are clogged to where they must be replace.
I do run the machine each day and always make sure to run something to lay white down to keep the white from settling in the lines and print head as well as swirl the white and all the other inks as well. All required maintenance is perform before and after running the machine. Yet, I still have problems with the white.
I have taken apart one of the first dampers that clogged and see that the screen used is like micro-mesh and that the outlet behind the screen is at the top of the screen. The bore is quite small and lies horizontal before turning 90 degrees down to the print head. Now, it seems to me that this is a somewhat poor damper for the properties of the white ink to flow freely, given that one property is the titanium dioxide metal. I am only assuming but, it seems to me that the white ink might be somewhat to heavy to pass freely through the screen. I have read at DTG's website that a metal free white is on it's way.
Now, after all of that, my question... Where can I buy dampers other than from DTG. They want more than $40.00 apiece. There must be another supplier who has them at a lower price.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2007 Jun 28, 2007 9:06:38 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Zhen

Default Re: Ink Dampers - DTG Kiosk

I know how you feel. I've just recently replaced a set of dampers on the white ink lines.

What's strange about your problem though is that all 5 of your dampers were clogged? Does this include the colored inks?

When my white in dampers clogged, there was very noticeable white ink flakes and settlement caught in the circular filter screen in the damper. No amount of backflushing or soaking in cleaning solution would get rid of it. My damper did last me 7months though of regular printing.

Ifs yours are clogging within a month then there must be a problem with the ink or some debris getting into your ink. I have heard of bad batches of ink that can have a lot of settlement.

In addition to swirling your bottles its also advisable to message your ink tube lines. This involves taking off the cover and manually messaging the ink lines before your turn on the machine. After a day of non-use you'll see that the white ink settles IN THE LINES!

$40 for a little piece of plastic This is one of the reasons we argue that white ink printing is just not profitable in its current state.

Old June 28th, 2007 Jun 28, 2007 11:07:21 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Adam
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I also learned some tricks the hard way. If you get a batch of bad ink or ink which has settled in your machine, you must flush out the white lines completely before putting on the new dampers and filling up with new ink.

I found my dampers were clogged so I replaced them and then began to flush out the lines only to clog my new dampers with the settled ink in the machine.

Old June 29th, 2007 Jun 29, 2007 6:42:33 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

The first time I filled the ink lines, I only had two colors come up quickly. The other 5 lines took more than 3 hours to get the ink to the dampers. All this time I was calling the tech line. They finally decided that I had bad dampers. I was telling them that I was not even able to blow air through the damper by mouth and my first thought was that the damper itself was bad.
I have cleaned the lines out several times and have added a little bit of distilled wate to the white ink as suggested by the technician.
I have been massaging the ink lines as I have noticed what appears to be some build up.
Even though I am making some money with this machine it has all gone back into the machine at this point and having to spend another $150. on dampers is outragous not to mention the ink loss which is extremely costly.
I would like to know where they get their dampers.

Old July 2nd, 2007 Jul 2, 2007 5:37:46 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

is a forum sponsor who has contributed over 1000 helpful posts in the forums!

You can call me: Don
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Hi Mark,

The dampers on the Kiosk are custom made for DTG by Epson (they have special o-rings in them that allow them to fit on a 2200/2100 printhead). They are not available from any other source to my knowledge. Trust me, I wanted to find another source for them as our prices on them are outrageous as well.

In regards to bad ink batches - we have not been informed of any bad batches of white ink since we introduced it here in the East - almost a year ago. A bad batch of ink would not be high on my list of culprits due to this fact. Make sure that you are agitiating your ink daily, including your inventory. Top off your white ink bottles every evening so that the bubbles get a chance to disipate. Make sure that the machine is level as this can effect the flow of ink. Verify that your capping station is clean and functioning properly and that it does seat on the printhead well when it is "home".

I hope this helps.

Old July 3rd, 2007 Jul 3, 2007 9:23:28 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Wow...scary experience but, does this happen to the new Kiosk Hm1 also? Or are you guys actually talking about the same machine?

Anyone out there who own a Hm1 and face the same problem?

Old July 3rd, 2007 Jul 3, 2007 9:32:50 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Wow...scary experience but, does this happen to the new Kiosk Hm1 also? Or are you guys actually talking about the same machine?

Anyone out there who own a Hm1 and face the same problem?
The situation that is being described is not one I have ever heard of. It sounds like something is missing from the equation. For 5 dampers to be bad right out of the box, before any ink had been in them, is too much to be a coincidence. It sounds like something had been in the dampers at some point.

Old July 3rd, 2007 Jul 3, 2007 9:07:43 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Chris

like glue? or play-doh?

Old July 4th, 2007 Jul 4, 2007 10:46:10 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Hi Don,
I did have some waste ink backwash into the dampers which might had caused the clogging but, I was unable to draw ink fully before the backwash of waste ink. The new dampers that were sent took ink immediately. I guess that it is possible to get bad dampers but, I was thinking the samething, five dampers at one time? Seems unlikely.
I did recieve three new dampers yesterday for the white and have cleaned the lines. The white ink contianer on the agitator did have near 1/4" of sludge (titanium dioxide?) on the bottom (I'm not sure what the magnetic property of titanium dioxide is but, if there is any, would not the magnetic base of the agitator attract the metal causing this build up?). The agitator runs 24 hours and I also swirl it several times a day. The ink lines going into the container were about 1/2" from the bottom so, I am assuming, that I might had picked up sludge that was kicked up by the agitator. I have since positioned the lines more to the half way point of the container so to be further up from anything that may be kicked up by the agitator.
I don't see the problem being so much the dampers as I do the white ink itself, being that the white ink is so much heavier than the other ink and that it does not seem to be completely compatible with the damper. A damper with a filter that could be replaced at a cheap cost would make this much nicer.

Old July 4th, 2007 Jul 4, 2007 4:30:26 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Zhen

A 1/4" of sludge? Wow thats a fair bit. I've gone for 4 months without cleaning out the bottles and the most I get is a thin layer perhaps 2-3mm thick at most. Interesting point about the agitator. I dont run it on my Kiosk so that might explain why my build up isn't as severe.

Old July 5th, 2007 Jul 5, 2007 5:34:21 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
like glue? or play-doh?
Back in your cage - T-Jet boy! LOL

Old September 5th, 2007 Sep 5, 2007 5:27:47 PM -   #12 (permalink)
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Concerning the dampers. I purchased a DTG Kiosks over a year ago. I never had one problem with the machine. It does not use up a lot of ink and the dampers have worked great. I recently removed my dampers and cleaned them out as I always have each month. A little trick that makes the machine work great. I tried a new method and destroyed one of my dampers. I also thought it was to much for a damper from SWF east and purchased dampers from another source. Please DO NOT PURCHASE FROM ANOTHER SOURCE. This machine was made specifically for special specifications. No other damper will work correctly. I have done a number or research and purchase a number of dampers and none line up correctly. So why does SWF East the only people who have the damper for the machine. Well the are the distributor for it and everything that goes with it. Also, I tried a number of different inks from other manufactures and you should probably only buy your ink through coleman as to me it is the only ink that worked best. If you have any questions we are in Orlando Florida and you can ask us anything. Thanks, Clair

Old October 6th, 2007 Oct 6, 2007 6:46:19 AM -   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

I found parts for my dtg at compassmicro.com. Give them a call they are very helpful

Old October 8th, 2007 Oct 8, 2007 6:58:40 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
I found parts for my dtg at compassmicro.com. Give them a call they are very helpful
No doubt you can buy Epson parts from this source, about the only parts they sell that are not a warranty items are the capping station and printhead , everything else would be parts that would be covered under warranty by your distributor. There are prorietary components in every direct to garment printer that are only available through the manufacturer and thier distributors - flatbed specific control boards and the dampers (in the case of the Kiosk) are two examples. These items would not be available through a source like Compass Micro.

Hope this helps.

Old March 7th, 2008 Mar 7, 2008 7:47:19 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Sabrina

We purchased some dampers from DirectToGarment Dampers - Home and we also bought a screen to filter our white. I think we had gotten a bad batch of white since we filtered it and it has a lot of clumpy stuff. These dampers I think had a snugger fit. I paid half of coleman & company.

Hope this helps
Sabrina

This is a discussion about Ink Dampers - DTG Kiosk that was posted in the DTG Brand section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in