[DTG Kiosk 2] Head Banger! - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Brand
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future DTG Brand garment printer owners.

[DTG Kiosk 2] Head Banger!

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 28th, 2013 May 28, 2013 7:28:17 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Head Banger!

Happy post Memorial Day!

So, over the extended weekend, I decided to resurrect an old DTG Kiosk II I have laying around. Without getting in to the gory details, I've got it to the point where I turn the unit on, then the carriage goes to the extreme left and bangs the wall. The unit then flashes all the red LEDs and stops (fatal error).

Thus far, I've replaced the sensor strip, entire print carriage, ribbon cable from print carriage to motherboard, motherboard and print head.

Anyone ever deal with this? I've rebuilt a couple of these units but never came across a head banger like this... I'll probably end up parting her out but I thought I'd give her one last shot.

Appreciate any advice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2013 May 28, 2013 8:19:13 AM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,074 Times in 921 Posts

Default Re: Head Banger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb33139
Happy post Memorial Day!

So, over the extended weekend, I decided to resurrect an old DTG Kiosk II I have laying around. Without getting in to the gory details, I've got it to the point where I turn the unit on, then the carriage goes to the extreme left and bangs the wall. The unit then flashes all the red LEDs and stops (fatal error).

Thus far, I've replaced the sensor strip, entire print carriage, ribbon cable from print carriage to motherboard, motherboard and print head.

Anyone ever deal with this? I've rebuilt a couple of these units but never came across a head banger like this... I'll probably end up parting her out but I thought I'd give her one last shot.

Appreciate any advice!

Normally your symptoms would indicate an encoder strip problem - bad strip or the strip not getting read. You should first check all the ribbon connections.

_

The Following User Says Thank You to equipmentzone For This Useful Post:
mb33139 (May 28th, 2013)
Old May 28th, 2013 May 28, 2013 9:20:59 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by equipmentzone
Normally your symptoms would indicate an encoder strip problem - bad strip or the strip not getting read. You should first check all the ribbon connections.

_
I had the same thought, so I replaced the ribbon cable, encoder strip and reseated them as part of the replacement process. This one is a real head scratcher..

I did replace the motherboard and had the old chip/firmware soldered on to the new board. Maybe I am missing some calibration step?

Thanks for the suggestion!

Old May 28th, 2013 May 28, 2013 9:24:51 AM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
I had the same thought, so I replaced the ribbon cable, encoder strip and reseated them as part of the replacement process. This one is a real head scratcher..

I did replace the motherboard and had the old chip/firmware soldered on to the new board. Maybe I am missing some calibration step?

Thanks for the suggestion!

Your problem is that because you replaced so many pieces the issue could be in a multitude of places. It could be as simple as something not being connected properly up to a bad main board.

_

Old May 28th, 2013 May 28, 2013 9:30:52 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by equipmentzone
Your problem is that because you replaced so many pieces the issue could be in a multitude of places. It could be as simple as something not being connected properly up to a bad main board.

_
Jeez, part of me hopes so. I'm actually a tech by profession, though not of this unit in particular. So, I'd like to think the issue is not something on my end.... But then something as simple as a crooked connector would be fantastic at this point.

I'm going to do a complete tear down (again) and reassembly, just to be sure. I actually love this stuff.

Old May 28th, 2013 May 28, 2013 9:32:18 AM -   #6 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Jeez, part of me hopes so. I'm actually a tech by profession, though not of this unit in particular. So, I'd like to think the issue is not something on my end.... But then something as simple as a crooked connector would be fantastic at this point.

I'm going to do a complete tear down (again) and reassembly, just to be sure. I actually love this stuff.

Let us know what you find.

Old May 28th, 2013 May 28, 2013 12:07:22 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Ted
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Are you certain the encoder strip is installed in the correct orientation and that it is going through the channel on the back of the carriage?

Old May 28th, 2013 May 28, 2013 1:19:34 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Yes... I checked it against a working 2200 I have here just to be sure. I then replaced it entirely including the tension spring. No change.

Anyone know if the print carriage on the Kiosk 2 is just an unmodified part from the 2200? I wonder if there is some small difference between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfalk
Are you certain the encoder strip is installed in the correct orientation and that it is going through the channel on the back of the carriage?

Old May 29th, 2013 May 29, 2013 4:39:45 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Ted
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

IIRC, the only difference between the Kiosk and the stock 2200 is you remove the paper sensor on the bottom of the carraige since it's not applicable for the Kiosk.

The Following User Says Thank You to tfalk For This Useful Post:
mb33139 (May 29th, 2013)
Old May 29th, 2013 May 29, 2013 5:27:44 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfalk
IIRC, the only difference between the Kiosk and the stock 2200 is you remove the paper sensor on the bottom of the carraige since it's not applicable for the Kiosk.

Thanks for the tip....

Old July 12th, 2013 Jul 12, 2013 12:01:46 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Well, I figured I would update this thread in case someone else comes across a similar problem... Unfortunately, I was not able to find a solution. To summarize, this Kiosk II turns on and when the print carriage starts it's initialization sequence, it runs in to the left side of the printer and gives a fatal error indication (all red lights blinking). I've tried replacing:

print head
print carriage
encoder strip
ribbon cables (print carriage to motherboard)
drive belt
entire motherboard (had old firmware chip moved to verified working 2200 board)

Verified all connections made normally. Tore it apart, put it back together several times. Same thing. My last conclusion is that maybe the firmware chip in the motherboard got damaged in the removal and installation in to the new motherboard? (I used Karl at steeltec who is quite good at this BTW). It does seem like a logical error present with the operation of the unit and I have essentially eliminated all other replaceable components. Luckily, I had several Epson 2200's laying around that I parted out in trying to fix the Kiosk II.

Anyway, if anybody has any suggestions or thinks they can fix this unit, let me know. I would be willing to pay a reasonable amount. I think I've exhausted my options...

Old July 12th, 2013 Jul 12, 2013 2:10:06 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

just a thought have you tried cleaning or replacing the encoder wheel

Old July 12th, 2013 Jul 12, 2013 3:43:08 PM -   #13 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,055 Posts

make sure the encoder strip is in the carriage correctly.

Old July 12th, 2013 Jul 12, 2013 4:48:49 PM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas2000
just a thought have you tried cleaning or replacing the encoder wheel
Encoder wheel? I'm familiar with and have replaced the encoder strip, encoder sensor (part of the carriage assembly) and the drive belt. Am I missing an encoder wheel? I don't think the 2200 unless you mean the ASF gear?

Old July 12th, 2013 Jul 12, 2013 4:51:34 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by binki
make sure the encoder strip is in the carriage correctly.
Thanks... I checked and rechecked this. Even verified it against a working 2200 and replaced it. You'd think that would have done it.

This is a discussion about Head Banger! that was posted in the DTG Brand section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in