DTG brand and ColDesi- my review and experience buying an HM-1 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Brand
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future DTG Brand garment printer owners.

DTG brand and ColDesi- my review and experience buying an HM-1

Like Tree21Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 22nd, 2013 Feb 22, 2013 6:56:25 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

You can call me: Fred
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down DTG brand and ColDesi- my review and experience buying an HM-1

Considering a DTG purchase? Let me share my experience with our DTG brand HM-1. We have had the machine for about 16 months now, purchased new from ColDesi. Day one- Needed to replace the print head. A kinked tube was not allowing the ink to circulate and thus dried in the print head. Print head is a "consumable" part, so not covered by warranty ($400), even though it shipped to us that way.

The machine has never run for more than 2-3 days without some sort of issue. We are a 24 person production facility and we maintain all sorts of equipment and are very mechanically inclined.

Tech support- Absolutely horrendous, truly. They put you in a queue to be called back. Generally the callback time is about 4 hours. Even when ordering parts you cannot get a tech on the phone to help and it may go on another day or more. As of today, we have been down for 4 days and now are told we need a tech to come to us or ship the machine to them. Okay... But they have told us it will take 30 DAYS to get too it! Who could run a business in such a way.

In a nutshell- I have been in business for 22 years and have never had such issues with ANY piece of equipment. The fact that they cannot keep them running or keep up with their tech and service calls is 100% unacceptable.

My advice, DO NOT BUY A DTG BRAND PRINTER

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rocky Coast For This Useful Post:
castellana14 (July 3rd, 2013), CheerSounds (February 27th, 2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2013 Feb 22, 2013 7:10:42 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Randy

Default re: DTG brand and ColDesi- my review and experience buying an HM-1

Wow! Fred sorry to hear about your experience they were on my list for purchase as well until I came across the guys a heat press inc. They have the Nexus 500TX and the tech support is great, a couple of them were at the ISS LB show so I knew who I'd be dealing with. Very impressed! Now my printer is due to arrive in just under two week, I'll keep you posted as to my experience from that point. Again sorry for the horrific service, I must say that was one of the number one factors regarding my purchase. Service first!

Let me know if you get a refund and would consider changing I can put in touch with these guys.

Peace for now

Old February 23rd, 2013 Feb 23, 2013 9:17:09 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Kippy

What a nightmare!
We bought a DTG HM1 from Mesa distributors and we had a few minor issues when we first got it. We paid $9000 cash for a refurbished printer and for us to just write a check for that amount of money for us is a lot. We have no experience with any kind of t-shirt printing (not even screen printing) and for us the initial set up was difficult, that is if we would of had to do it ourselves but we did not. Mesa walked us through everything step by step and was so helpful through the whole process. They thought the print head might be bad so they sent us a new one and a tech to come to our house (we work from home) and install it. Come to find out it wasnt the print head it was the capping station and they replaced it for free. If it was the print head they would of replaced it for free even though technically they didnt have to because it's a consumable part. They are a really good company and I would recommend them to anyone. Normally I don't advocate or recommend anything but they really are wonderful.

Old February 25th, 2013 Feb 25, 2013 6:24:49 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Randy

Kippy you may have missed the point here. Fred purchased a "brand new" printer and didn't receive service first hand. That sucks! I have never work with Col Desi but you know as well as I do if you spend your good hard earned money you expect it to work properly even after 16 months.

Training is key, without it you will have all sort of problems. I have the Nexus guys schedule for setup and training March 11 & 12 at my location for two day. "That right two days of training".

Fred I'll let you how this my Nexus works out.

Peace for now...

Old February 25th, 2013 Feb 25, 2013 11:14:05 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

is a forum sponsor who has contributed over 1000 helpful posts in the forums!

You can call me: Don
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Hi Robert,

A few words of clarification here. The machine that Rocky Point purchased was nearly 2 years ago (purchased in march 2011). I went through all of the tech support notes for his account over the two year period. There is no mention of a faulty print head out of the box ever being replaced (either free or sold to them). The machine has been in place since mid-March of that year. The issues with the printer early on were related to lack of training. We are very adamant about customers taking training before operating their machines, but cannot force this to happen. The printer was setup & filled with ink before any formal training was taken. In fact no training had even been scheduled at that point. Coupled with this, the machine was turned off by an individual at the company to save electricity costs for over a week - this resulted in a dead print head and trashed capping assembly. We did work out a very fair deal for an onsite training which also included replacing the print head and capping station for a reduced travel charge and the cost of the capping station. As I mentioned - I have reviewed all of the tech support notes and two things stand out: 1. The average call response time is less than two hours (not four hours as stated); 2. Many calls were placed within the last hour the customer was open - meaning a calling back within an hour would often result in a meesage being left - pushing the call into the next day.

In regards to the 30 days - that is accurate - sort of. If the client no longer has their original box it requires that one be built and shipped to them (1-2 business days, plus 3-5 days in transit depending on distance), return shipment to ColDesi (same 3-5 business days - plus turnaround time at the customer location to load the printer into the crate), inhouse repair turnaround (3-7 business days), return shipment to customer (3-5 business days) - this totals 13-24 business days or 17-33 days. As you can see the repair turnaround is generally 3-7 business days - plus transit. With all things considered it is generally quicker, and sometimes even less expensive, to have a technician come onsite for a repair. The decision is up to the customer and is described in the warranty papers signed with each sale - if the repair is a warranty repair the customer only pays for travel and any non-warranty items replaced at the time of the service.

I have opened a review of this account and we will be working with Rocky Coast to get their issues taken care of as fairly as possible. I am not saying we have been perfect in our handling of this account, however, the statements in the original post are rather over exaggerated.
I hope this clarifies things a bit better.

I wish you well with your new printer and welcome your vendor to the direct to garment arena.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don-ColDesi For This Useful Post:
Dono (July 22nd, 2013), Rodney (April 21st, 2013)
Old February 25th, 2013 Feb 25, 2013 11:25:15 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Cisco

Default DTG brand and ColDesi- WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!

My answer would be...the BBB!

Last edited by Rodney; April 21st, 2013 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: Removed link to members own website. Please use signature feature

Old February 25th, 2013 Feb 25, 2013 12:43:51 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Rob

We have had 2 Vipers since July 2009 and have had no issues with the machines or ColDesi. The tech support has always been very helpfull. I agree that when something breaks we as customers expect to have it fixed NOW, but I also understand I am not their only customer and sometimes it takes a while for them to get back to me.

To anyone looking to purchase a direct to garment printer I would highly recommend ColDesi. With that said it doesn't matter what machine you purchase you need to take whatever training is offered. The training on these machines is a MUST, not only does the training help with the maintenance but is also a good way to get ideas of how to make the machine work for you.

Old February 25th, 2013 Feb 25, 2013 1:18:45 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Jerry
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I think we have all said it a thousand times before, training is the most critical part of your direct to garment printer yet so many people overlook this. I do hope that at the very least this point is mentioned and reiterated during the sales consultations.

Having in house staff with technical ability can be both helpful and at the same time dangerous, there are numerous points to running a printer efficiently and with good repetitive results that really can only be learned by being shown first hand.

I have no doubt that Don will take a close look at your situation and offer appropriate assistance.

Old June 7th, 2013 Jun 7, 2013 3:00:09 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Chris

In my opinion the HM1c was rushed to market.
I have also had nothing but problems with mine!
As I write this mine is in transit to Florida, to see if the techs can figure out what is wrong with it.
This machine is great when it works, when the stars and planets are aligned.
Many days I want to take a sledgehammer to mine!
I do have buyers regret!!

Old June 9th, 2013 Jun 9, 2013 5:58:48 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Coleen

Smile re: DTG brand and ColDesi- my review and experience buying an HM-1

I bought my HM1 back in 2009. Went through training and had nothing but problems. Did not buy from Coldesi. After several years of lost revenues, down time and tons of frustration I took my machine to Coldesi for repair. They did a complete rebuild of my machine and I have been a very happy printer since. While they were fixing my machine I went through their training and couldn't believe how detail they were. That was in Feb. 2012 and have only replaced the capping station and dampers since. I would recommend Coldesi to anyone. They have made me love my HM1.
CAMAC etc likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to coleen1 For This Useful Post:
Don-ColDesi (June 13th, 2013)
Old July 2nd, 2013 Jul 2, 2013 3:31:07 PM -   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Carlitos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don-ColDesi
Hi Robert,

A few words of clarification here. The machine that Rocky Point purchased was nearly 2 years ago (purchased in march 2011). I went through all of the tech support notes for his account over the two year period. There is no mention of a faulty print head out of the box ever being replaced (either free or sold to them). The machine has been in place since mid-March of that year. The issues with the printer early on were related to lack of training. We are very adamant about customers taking training before operating their machines, but cannot force this to happen. The printer was setup & filled with ink before any formal training was taken. In fact no training had even been scheduled at that point. Coupled with this, the machine was turned off by an individual at the company to save electricity costs for over a week - this resulted in a dead print head and trashed capping assembly. We did work out a very fair deal for an onsite training which also included replacing the print head and capping station for a reduced travel charge and the cost of the capping station. As I mentioned - I have reviewed all of the tech support notes and two things stand out: 1. The average call response time is less than two hours (not four hours as stated); 2. Many calls were placed within the last hour the customer was open - meaning a calling back within an hour would often result in a meesage being left - pushing the call into the next day.

In regards to the 30 days - that is accurate - sort of. If the client no longer has their original box it requires that one be built and shipped to them (1-2 business days, plus 3-5 days in transit depending on distance), return shipment to ColDesi (same 3-5 business days - plus turnaround time at the customer location to load the printer into the crate), inhouse repair turnaround (3-7 business days), return shipment to customer (3-5 business days) - this totals 13-24 business days or 17-33 days. As you can see the repair turnaround is generally 3-7 business days - plus transit. With all things considered it is generally quicker, and sometimes even less expensive, to have a technician come onsite for a repair. The decision is up to the customer and is described in the warranty papers signed with each sale - if the repair is a warranty repair the customer only pays for travel and any non-warranty items replaced at the time of the service.

I have opened a review of this account and we will be working with Rocky Coast to get their issues taken care of as fairly as possible. I am not saying we have been perfect in our handling of this account, however, the statements in the original post are rather over exaggerated.
I hope this clarifies things a bit better.

I wish you well with your new printer and welcome your vendor to the direct to garment arena.
I really think the tech support have a LOT to improve, the point here isnt who fault it is, is about getting the answer you need, right when you need it, i have been calling from 3 days now to get tech support and no answer yet, i hope someone in Coldesi could read this and take action on whats happening, last time i have a question regarding the equipment i bougth i writed at least 10 mails to all the email address i found on the page, on the same way im a Coldesi costumer i also have customers, and i love to hear their opinion about us, i really hope you Coldesi people take this on the constructive side, think about this, and came back to us with some solution on the response time, i believe when customers like me call for support they care more about finding a solution that who fault is, but when you ignore us as customers mails like the one from Rocky Point are very common, not to be anonimous my company name is Corporacion Garmont from Venezuela (sorry for my english)

Old July 2nd, 2013 Jul 2, 2013 6:57:01 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I also Had a viper, Training was terrible, The guy who put the machine in didn't even know how to pre treat properly, I had to fly to another state to visit a guy who showed us how to do it, at my expense!! not to mention that the pre treating of garments was not mentioned or ever explained before our machine was put in, Had nothing but trouble with ours, breakdowns, Head Blocking everyday, parts Faulty, No guidance at all, I actually kept a note book of problems with ours and all we got was "That hasn't happened to any one else" I now know that was a lie!, The last service call we had before we sold the machine was $2000 explain that one?? Anyway do your research properly and then do it again!!

Old July 3rd, 2013 Jul 3, 2013 4:35:33 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Chris

You got the famous " wow we have never seen this before" line

or the " no, no one else has experienced this"

It must be their script!

The Following User Says Thank You to michfire01 For This Useful Post:
dazzabling (August 24th, 2013)
Old July 3rd, 2013 Jul 3, 2013 4:51:13 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellana14
I really think the tech support have a LOT to improve, the point here isnt who fault it is, is about getting the answer you need, right when you need it, i have been calling from 3 days now to get tech support and no answer yet, i hope someone in Coldesi could read this and take action on whats happening, last time i have a question regarding the equipment i bougth i writed at least 10 mails to all the email address i found on the page, on the same way im a Coldesi costumer i also have customers, and i love to hear their opinion about us, i really hope you Coldesi people take this on the constructive side, think about this, and came back to us with some solution on the response time, i believe when customers like me call for support they care more about finding a solution that who fault is, but when you ignore us as customers mails like the one from Rocky Point are very common, not to be anonimous my company name is Corporacion Garmont from Venezuela (sorry for my english)
Hi Carlitos,

I will check with my lead DTG tech at 9:00 when he arrives. There is no record of contact with anyone from your company since February in the support system. If you submit a support call through either our support website or with our support receptionist you can request a confirmation email. Feel free to PM me and I will get you the direct link to our support site where you can enter your support calls.

Hope this helps.

Old July 3rd, 2013 Jul 3, 2013 6:03:24 AM -   #15 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michfire01
In my opinion the HM1c was rushed to market.
I have also had nothing but problems with mine!
As I write this mine is in transit to Florida, to see if the techs can figure out what is wrong with it.
This machine is great when it works, when the stars and planets are aligned.
Many days I want to take a sledgehammer to mine!
I do have buyers regret!!
The machine arrived here and the problem was found, head cables were incorrectly installed & the cable connections from the power board that was replaced by the user were mangled and missaligned upon installation. I cannot go into further detail due to a pending insurance claim that has been filed on the machine.

This is a discussion about DTG brand and ColDesi- my review and experience buying an HM-1 that was posted in the DTG Brand section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in