white threshold on DTG Kiosk?? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Brand
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future DTG Brand garment printer owners.

white threshold on DTG Kiosk??

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 9th, 2007 Feb 9, 2007 12:02:47 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default white threshold on DTG Kiosk??

Hey everyone

I have a DTG Kiosk with white ink. I can t figure out what the white threshold setting is supposed to do and the manual does not cover it. I read in other posts that a good setting for it would be 5-7% and thats the one i use.

Also another problem i have with printing on black Ts. When they come out of the printer the colors are very bright, but after 2 1/2 min at 170 C in the press everything seems to fade down . almost blending with the white ink, which is kinda disappointing. I apply light pressure on the press.

Could someone clarify things a bit?

thanx in advance

Nick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2007 Feb 10, 2007 9:55:00 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Adam
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default Re: white threshold on DTG Kiosk??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos
Hey everyone

I have a DTG Kiosk with white ink. I can t figure out what the white threshold setting is supposed to do and the manual does not cover it. I read in other posts that a good setting for it would be 5-7% and thats the one i use.

Also another problem i have with printing on black Ts. When they come out of the printer the colors are very bright, but after 2 1/2 min at 170 C in the press everything seems to fade down . almost blending with the white ink, which is kinda disappointing. I apply light pressure on the press.

Could someone clarify things a bit?

thanx in advance

Nick
Hi Nick, how many passes of white underbase are you doing and at what dpi?
Personally I always use 720dpi 2-3 passes because the underbase comes out smooth. I have the highlight threshold set to 5-7%.

From what I understand, when the printer is doing the color layer, it will also highlight the white areas of the image with white.

Old February 11th, 2007 Feb 11, 2007 10:04:25 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Tom

Tahoe,

You find the multiple passes better than the one pass 1440 for the overall print quality?

Nick,

You should be able to go to the user forum for the DTG and get a very quick answer as to a difinition of the threshold setting and what it does. Fred at the RIP company is great to respond. I would even go as far as saying that he probably has posted it somewhere on that forum. I will see if I can find it in my documentation somewhere and I will post it here if you haven't found it as of yet. It has been my experience that tahoe has the right range of 5-7%

Tom

Old February 11th, 2007 Feb 11, 2007 10:22:59 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Nick,

I found some info on the threshold for you with a basic explanation from some tech conversations I have had with the RIP company. Here is a couple little excerpts for your info:

The higher threshold you choose, the more pixels will receive a highlight white. For example, if you choose 1% threshold, only the pixels within 1% of pure white will receive a highlight. If you choose 10%, all pixels within 10% or pure white will receive.

The pixels that are closer to pure white will receive more highlight white that the pixels at the higher end of the threshold. For example, if you choose 10%, the 10% pixels will recieve less than the 9% will receive less than the 8%...

Just to clarify, though, "pure white" will never receive any highlight from the threshold mechanism. So at 10%, pixels with values of 1% through 10% will receive white ink. 1% getting the most, 10% getting the least.

Please note that there are things that must be done to typical artwork so all of these settings can effect your output on the shirt in different ways depending on the art file.

I do know there have been some serious enhancements to the rip lately in regards to even more automatic white base and highlight printing by the RIP company. It would be in your best interest to download the newest version and talk to you rep you purchased the unit from to get a full update along with an explanation of feature changes. I know the RIP company supplies the manufacture with this info. If you are not plugged into the support forum they provide I would really suggest you do so. A user forum should not be the only line of regular support but, it is a nice addition to standard tech support.

hope this might help you a little.

Tom

Old February 11th, 2007 Feb 11, 2007 7:11:16 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Adam
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtv
Tahoe,

You find the multiple passes better than the one pass 1440 for the overall print quality?

Tom
That's correct. Although the 1440 gives a good underbase I found that after the color layer is put down it looks a little grainy. Almost as if the white was so thick that it's almost poking through the color in a way.

I just feel the image comes out sharper at 720 but you have to do multiple passes.

Old February 11th, 2007 Feb 11, 2007 7:31:21 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Thanks for the info. I found the same thing on the flexi when we had those units in our shop. I have heard the same story from kiosk, flexi & T-Jet users as well. Most of the time I find that at the shows they tout and show the 1440 1 pass as the way to go but I think the 720 x 2 is the way to go as well. We had very marginal wash results with 1 pass and better with 2. That darn pretreat is still the thing that drove us to drink though. Every time we thought we had it down we would still get that failure rate that just caused us to make the decision that the white ink thing is just not ready for prime time and that it was just not worth the bad word of mouth or replacement from peopel that got shirts that fell into the below average quality area.

thanks again and I appreciate the info sharing,

Tom

Old February 12th, 2007 Feb 12, 2007 12:06:43 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

guys thanx a lot for the quick responses.

I use 1 pass of white at 1440 and 1 color pass at 720. But no matter the method after the press the colors come out a little dull. I ll give the 2 whites at 720 another try. Of course the great problem is the preatreatment. sometimes i get it right sometimes not.

Thanx again everyone

Old February 12th, 2007 Feb 12, 2007 8:28:02 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

what are you using to do the heatpressing? temp, pressure, paper etc.?

these are all factors in the results of the problem you are having. Also which inkset are you using?

Tom

Old February 12th, 2007 Feb 12, 2007 11:45:35 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Tom

For blacks I gently rest the press on the t-shirt at 170C with teflon paper for 2 1/2 min, as it says in the manual. the colors look great out of the printer but lose a lot of vibrancy after the heat press, sometimes almost mixing a little with the white ink.

I use the original inkset. DTG TEX not TEX2

This is a discussion about white threshold on DTG Kiosk?? that was posted in the DTG Brand section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in