[DIY DTG] Epson 1390 white ink issues - T-Shirt Forums
 

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?





Site Navigation








+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.



[DIY DTG] Epson 1390 white ink issues

 
Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 1st, 2019 Mar 1, 2019 2:37:05 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

jc0807's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2011
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post


Default Epson 1390 white ink issues

Yes another white ink thread!

I've been reading a lot on white ink issues on this forum who have similar DTG printer as mine and can't seem to get it resolved.

I have a Epson 1390 print head machine bought from China and I've tried so many different things to try and solve this white ink issue but having no luck at all!

As you can see my white inks become "fluffy" and very grey.

Things I've read and tried.

Ink: DuPont

Pre-treatments - Different amount, both heavy and light with roller to make sure it's set into the shirt.

Heatpress - 167 degrees (332f)

Trying to improve the white i've tried the following settings

White resolution: 1440 x 1440 dpi small dot & large dot
White resolution: 1440 x 1440 dpi small dot & large dot run through twice.
White resolution: 2880 x 1440 dpi small dot & large dot
White resolution: 2880 x 1440 dpi small dot & large dot run through twice.

For the 2880 x 1440 when I run it twice it slightly gets more white but doesn't improve that much more.

Head clean a bunch of times before I begin printing, nozzle checks seems fine. Even flushed out the white heads to see the cleaning liquid spray through the bottom so no clogs there.

I've tried a few different shirts also, Gildan, AS Colour which I prefer printing on AS Colour.

The fluffy issues doesn't always occur but it's happening more frequent. The main issue is the greyish colour of the white.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? What am I doing wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9933.JPG (2.05 MB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9934.JPG (2.60 MB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9935.JPG (3.21 MB, 17 views)
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 22nd, 2019 Mar 22, 2019 11:16:08 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

LAPS's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post


Default Re: Epson 1390 white ink issues

We have an Epson 4880 based printer and have gotten better color results since switching to an ink designed for use with Epson print heads. We've been using Image Armor E-Series inks and pre-treatments for years now and haven't been disappointed. The machine cleans easier with less ink buildup and fewer printer issues.
 
The Following User Says Thank You to LAPS For This Useful Post:
jc0807 (March 24th, 2019)
Old March 24th, 2019 Mar 24, 2019 8:03:07 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member
Thread Starter

jc0807's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2011
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post


Default Re: Epson 1390 white ink issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPS
We have an Epson 4880 based printer and have gotten better color results since switching to an ink designed for use with Epson print heads. We've been using Image Armor E-Series inks and pre-treatments for years now and haven't been disappointed. The machine cleans easier with less ink buildup and fewer printer issues.
What ink were you using prior to the switch?

Do you recommend giving this a go?
 
 
Old March 25th, 2019 Mar 25, 2019 7:46:51 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

LAPS's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post


Default Re: Epson 1390 white ink issues

We previously used DuPont ink as that is the type supplied with the printer and probably the best option at the time.
I do recommend Epson E-Series ink. Been using it almost since it came on the market, plus it has a 30 - 35 second cure time, even with a white layer.
 
Old March 25th, 2019 Mar 25, 2019 9:59:05 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

GunnyJeeves's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts


Default Re: Epson 1390 white ink issues

I know at least three possible solutions to this.

1. Shake up your ink. (Especially white, shake it up a lot then transfer it into the ink cartridge.)
2. Height adjustment. (The ink jet printer is sensitive to height from printing surface by design. White just shows up much more than other colors.)
* TEST --> Print a white bar. (Rectangle or fine line, onto a black shirt. Make sure it is pretreated.) If the line is fuzzy, you need to move the surface closer to the print head. Fraction of a millimeter can make the difference.
3. A problem with your vendor. (Ink, or Pretreatment can cause this.) Since people generally have done well with Dupont ink, my first guess would be pretreatment. Look at a different brand there.

Here is what I use in my 1430 based DTG printer and this with 2 years no issues.

Firebird ink. (Their white is awesome.)
Firebird Dark and Light Pretreat for Epson. (Same. This is good, works for light and dark and basically invisible.)

I have seen your specific example in:
* First prints... (Color looked great but white looked gray...) Was height adjustment.
* If I misaligned my pretreated section with the printed section. (White on lightly pretreated or un pretreated looks horrible.)
* If I printed on day 2 without a shake up of the ink, or refill without vigorously shaking the main ink bottle first.

Pretreat - https://www.firebirdink.com/products...ebird-fbx-100/

White Ink - https://www.firebirdink.com/products...o-garment-ink/

Hope this helps!!!
 
Old March 25th, 2019 Mar 25, 2019 11:51:52 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member
Thread Starter

jc0807's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2011
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post


Default Re: Epson 1390 white ink issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyJeeves
I know at least three possible solutions to this.

1. Shake up your ink. (Especially white, shake it up a lot then transfer it into the ink cartridge.)
2. Height adjustment. (The ink jet printer is sensitive to height from printing surface by design. White just shows up much more than other colors.)
* TEST --> Print a white bar. (Rectangle or fine line, onto a black shirt. Make sure it is pretreated.) If the line is fuzzy, you need to move the surface closer to the print head. Fraction of a millimeter can make the difference.
3. A problem with your vendor. (Ink, or Pretreatment can cause this.) Since people generally have done well with Dupont ink, my first guess would be pretreatment. Look at a different brand there.

Here is what I use in my 1430 based DTG printer and this with 2 years no issues.

Firebird ink. (Their white is awesome.)
Firebird Dark and Light Pretreat for Epson. (Same. This is good, works for light and dark and basically invisible.)

I have seen your specific example in:
* First prints... (Color looked great but white looked gray...) Was height adjustment.
* If I misaligned my pretreated section with the printed section. (White on lightly pretreated or un pretreated looks horrible.)
* If I printed on day 2 without a shake up of the ink, or refill without vigorously shaking the main ink bottle first.

Pretreat - https://www.firebirdink.com/products...ebird-fbx-100/

White Ink - https://www.firebirdink.com/products...o-garment-ink/

Hope this helps!!!
Thank you so much for your insight.

I have been testing ever since, made adjustments to the height which i think did help also the most improvement i felt is that i'm starting to get a better at pre treating shirts and doesn't get the crazy about of fluff anymore, still it's not 100% white or there are still some fluffs here and there. I'm also questioning is it because my printer only does 2 channels of white instead of 4? Have tried 2 pasts with white and not a significant improvement both at the same and higher dpi print.

I have pretty much run out of pre treatments and are looking to re-order from my previous supplier however i'm very tempted to try a different brand of ink and pre treatment since this has been suggested.

Firebird my be an option.
 
Old March 25th, 2019 Mar 25, 2019 3:52:15 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

GunnyJeeves's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts


Default Re: Epson 1390 white ink issues

Glad to help!

Firebird was recommended to me initially and I'm very abusive to my printer too. (Weeks, months without printing... ) No problems!

For me, Firebird will settle out some, but comes back into emulsion with a vigorous shake. (Either in cartridge or in bottle) and windex tricks work too if you forget to swap to cleaner in downtime.

Here's my white ink tip list:

* Buy empty cartridges and fill with DTG cleaner.
* Swap those in and do a head clean if you won't print for a few days.
(That works flawless!)

If you forget, I have like 3 levels of cleanup that work.
1. Spray windex onto a folded paper towel. (Soaking, dripping, puddled... super wet) - And place it under the head for an hour.
2. Repeat this, but take out cartridges and use syringe to suck windex up into the head. Reapply windex for each color.
3. If all that fails... Place windex into the cartridges and do a head cleaning, wait 30 min, and repeat until cartridges are empty.

I left white in there for two weeks in summer and step 2 above cleared it. Took about 45 min, but printed perfect afterward and I never forget now.
 
Old May 3rd, 2019 May 3, 2019 7:46:16 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

ikhadem's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2019
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


Default Re: Epson 1390 white ink issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc0807
Yes another white ink thread!

I've been reading a lot on white ink issues on this forum who have similar DTG printer as mine and can't seem to get it resolved.

I have a Epson 1390 print head machine bought from China and I've tried so many different things to try and solve this white ink issue but having no luck at all!

As you can see my white inks become "fluffy" and very grey.

Things I've read and tried.

Ink: DuPont

Pre-treatments - Different amount, both heavy and light with roller to make sure it's set into the shirt.

Heatpress - 167 degrees (332f)

Trying to improve the white i've tried the following settings

White resolution: 1440 x 1440 dpi small dot & large dot
White resolution: 1440 x 1440 dpi small dot & large dot run through twice.
White resolution: 2880 x 1440 dpi small dot & large dot
White resolution: 2880 x 1440 dpi small dot & large dot run through twice.

For the 2880 x 1440 when I run it twice it slightly gets more white but doesn't improve that much more.

Head clean a bunch of times before I begin printing, nozzle checks seems fine. Even flushed out the white heads to see the cleaning liquid spray through the bottom so no clogs there.

I've tried a few different shirts also, Gildan, AS Colour which I prefer printing on AS Colour.

The fluffy issues doesn't always occur but it's happening more frequent. The main issue is the greyish colour of the white.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? What am I doing wrong?
i had the same problem, try the 2880*1440 res with large dots the result will be better
 






This is a discussion about Epson 1390 white ink issues that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.


Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)
.

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just Purchased an Epson 9800 Printer, having issues finding sublimation ink & Rip Software adamlando Dye Sublimation 14 November 24th, 2018 09:40 AM
firebird white ink on 1390? djambret DTG Inks 9 May 21st, 2018 05:06 AM
Newbie...Having printing issues with white plastisol ink on tshirt. DC3T T shirt Printing Issues 2 September 26th, 2017 12:22 PM
white ink issues with veloci jet DTG printer bwilliams T shirt Printing Issues 0 June 15th, 2016 10:58 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 T-ShirtForums.com. All rights reserved.