[DIY DTG] price for small 1-5 orders - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] price for small 1-5 orders

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 12th, 2019 Feb 12, 2019 9:48:52 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Grace
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default price for small 1-5 orders

Hi, could anyone tell me what to charge my customer who asks for small orders for 8x10 images on the front of the garment?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2019 Feb 12, 2019 1:29:44 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Michele
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: price for small 1-5 orders

First you need to figure out your cost for sourcing your shirts. That would be the cost of the shirt + tax (if you don't buy wholesale) + shipping. Divide that by the quantity of shirts in the order to get your cost per shirt. If you happen to have the desired shirts in stock, your cost per shirt may be a little lower, but still use the formula to get to your cost.

Add to that your cost of printing the shirt. Once you know your cost of goods, multiply that by 2 (or whatever your standard mark up is.)

When I have customers who want less than 6 shirts, I let them know if I'm expecting another order soon so that I can include their shirts in that order if they're willing to wait a few days or a week...if I save on shipping, I can pass that savings along to them.

I have set $24 as my minimum order. I don't do DTG, so I don't know if that covers time and cost for that method. You just need to consider that besides your cost of goods and consumables, it takes just as long to set up for one shirt as it does for 50 shirts.

The Following User Says Thank You to ScreamingMimi For This Useful Post:
hopestudio (February 12th, 2019)
Old February 12th, 2019 Feb 12, 2019 3:16:03 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Michele, thank you~
I don't do DTG either, but I needed to price my sublimation prints. I think my printing technique is most similar to DTG printing. When my customers see my prints, they ask if my prints are DTG.

I will try to cost out my shirts and do as you suggested.

Old February 12th, 2019 Feb 12, 2019 3:39:38 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopestudio
Michele, thank you~
I don't do DTG either, but I needed to price my sublimation prints. I think my printing technique is most similar to DTG printing. When my customers see my prints, they ask if my prints are DTG.

I will try to cost out my shirts and do as you suggested.
Yea...those small orders can be challenging to quote since there are so many variables. I have a few customers who order 6 mugs at a time, but since they are always the same design and I can keep some blanks in stock because a mug is a mug is a mug, I give them larger quantity pricing on those small orders.

For my vinyl tees I have an unpublished price schedule with price breaks at 12, 24, 36, etc. It's not written in stone...it just helps me to keep from having to reinvent that wheel with each order, or to be able to give a verbal ball park estimate.

This is a side gig for me...I'm retired, but I still don't undercut myself. It's important that you recognize the value of your product because if you don't, neither will the customer. And oh yes, when you sense an order or customer is going to be a royal pain in your behind, build in a p.i.t.a. fee 9nto your price. :-)

Old February 12th, 2019 Feb 12, 2019 3:58:27 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I quoted my customer $24 if he ordered five shirts with five different images.
He actually said, "wow!!!"
He wanted museum art work printed on the shirts, any work by Kandinsky.
I sublimated them, packaged them, and ready to ship!!

For just few shirts, I told him I'd charge $36 each~~

Thank you Michele!!!!
I'm a total newbie and I just needed some price breaks, and you just threw it out there for me.^^

Old February 12th, 2019 Feb 12, 2019 4:27:37 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopestudio
I quoted my customer $24 if he ordered five shirts with five different images.
He actually said, "wow!!!"
He wanted museum art work printed on the shirts, any work by Kandinsky.
I sublimated them, packaged them, and ready to ship!!

For just few shirts, I told him I'd charge $36 each~~

Thank you Michele!!!!
I'm a total newbie and I just needed some price breaks, and you just threw it out there for me.^^
Yep....that price sounds right on the mark to me since it's 5 different designs. I imagine you're used to quoting larger orders, so onsey twosey orders can kind of throw you at first.

Old February 12th, 2019 Feb 12, 2019 5:46:13 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Nope!
I'm just going straight with the price quotes you gave me today~

I've gotten about 8 orders since two weeks ago.
That's when I started this business.
I bought some special cotton sublimation-ready shirts, Epson printer, and a beat up heat press.
These shirts are really great since all I do is print out the image and press for 30 sec.
The largest order I got from 8 orders was 76. I quoted them $15 and they jumped at it.
I don't know if that was a good deal or not...but that was that!
I'm having a ball~

This is a discussion about price for small 1-5 orders that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in