[DIY DTG] Should I invest in a DIY DTG printer? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] Should I invest in a DIY DTG printer?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TABOB

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 20th, 2018 Oct 20, 2018 7:32:39 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Should I invest in a DIY DTG printer?

As part of a student project, i have started an online t-shirt store. I would like to buy a DTG printer as to bypass suppliers and increase margins. I'm a newbie to the business.

Since I have a budget of ~3000$, I can only afford a DIY DTG printer. I am however of unsure of how prohibitive the loss in quality, durability and reliability would be.

Should I go along this path and invest in a DIY DTG printer?

I should add a few details:
–I don't intend to print many T-shirts, at most a couple dozens per week.
–I have never done any DIY project and I'm not the craftiest person around. I am however an engineering student (I don't know if it would prove to be helpful in building the printer).
–I want to print on both light and dark garments. I want to be able to print multi-colored designs with a good resolution.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2018 Oct 20, 2018 8:28:21 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Bob
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default Re: Should I invest in a DIY DTG printer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyutyut42
I have never done any DIY project and I'm not the craftiest person around.
You can buy a ready made, Epson p600 based one, from OpenDTG.
These print as good as any other DTG, and you don't need high resolution for t-shirts anyway.

You must be able to troubleshoot, and replace parts yourself, and there is no warranty. However, parts are readily available for relatively low price, in the form of complete P600 printers at the nearest computer shop.

Old October 21st, 2018 Oct 21, 2018 11:39:15 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Thank you so much for your response, I'll look into it

Old October 21st, 2018 Oct 21, 2018 1:49:31 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Don't invest in your own DTG until you prove to yourself that you can sell enough shirts to make it worthwhile. Printful, or whatever POD, is a low risk way to try it and see.

Things you need in addition to a DTG:
- Pretreatment Unit
- Heat Press
- Blanks (easiest if you have a local supplier)
- Shipping scale, polybags, label printer, online postage account

The biggest bugaboo with DTG is the tendency for the white channels to plug. These machines need to be kept in use and cleaned frequently, which means burning through some expensive ink even when you have nothing to print. Else, you burn through even more expensive heads. Forget the initial cost of the printer, it is the operating costs and maintenance that you need to worry about--thus the admonition to prove your design and sales ability with POD first.

I'm sure you know, but everybody and their dog is already trying to sell T-shirts online. It was always competitive, but the rise of the POD people has made it insanely so.

Old October 22nd, 2018 Oct 22, 2018 7:27:16 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoXid
The biggest bugaboo with DTG is the tendency for the white channels to plug. These machines need to be kept in use and cleaned frequently, which means burning through some expensive ink even when you have nothing to print. Else, you burn through even more expensive heads.
Very true for beginners, but as with everything the only way to learn is to try. The worst case scenario is $600 for a readily available P600 printer, which is basically a complete set service parts, including a brand new printhead .

Unused ink in the lines, can be "recycled" back in the ink container before flushing, so there is no much ink wasted.
I hope I'm not making it look too easy, because it isn't. If it was, everyone would do it.

Old October 25th, 2018 Oct 25, 2018 1:57:30 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
The biggest bugaboo with DTG is the tendency for the white channels to plug. These machines need to be kept in use and cleaned frequently, which means burning through some expensive ink even when you have nothing to print. Else, you burn through even more expensive heads. Forget the initial cost of the printer, it is the operating costs and maintenance that you need to worry about--thus the admonition to prove your design and sales ability with POD first.

I'm actually not really worried about competition, I intend to sell in a small, niche market (my campus), with no direct competitors. What does worry me is the fact that I'm not sure I can sell many t-shirts, since there are not that many students on campus. Hence, I'm afraid I will not be able to put up enough prints as to make my printer work well. How many prints per week should I do as to avoid being plagued by ink clogs?

Old October 25th, 2018 Oct 25, 2018 5:51:38 AM -   #7 (permalink)
KC3
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

from my experience ,was happiest day when we sold DTG printer. we had all the time problems with the white ink. sometimes it took 2 hours to get it going. On light garments was ok,but still need to use every day to keep nozzles clean. other thing,printed logo fades after first wash....

Old October 25th, 2018 Oct 25, 2018 6:02:06 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Ha... I started printing (screenprinting) as a hobby, just before starting my second year at the University, and I used all the money I had to buy the equipment. However, because of this, I was able to buy a nice house in cash, just one year after my graduation.
I have no doubt you could do the same, but lack of confidence is an issue I don't think people can overcome. I'm exactly the opposite... I believe there is nothing I cannot do, if I really want to do it.

Printing on its own will not make you money, and sales don't magically happen. You need to communicate, find out what people want, and make little partnerships. The campus is actually a really good environment to start.

Old October 25th, 2018 Oct 25, 2018 8:45:17 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyutyut42
I'm actually not really worried about competition, I intend to sell in a small, niche market (my campus), with no direct competitors. What does worry me is the fact that I'm not sure I can sell many t-shirts, since there are not that many students on campus. Hence, I'm afraid I will not be able to put up enough prints as to make my printer work well. How many prints per week should I do as to avoid being plagued by ink clogs?
#Tabob is the one who has done it (at least with a white screen print base and CMYK DTG on top ... though I imagine he came to that creative solution after trying with CMYKW DTG). I started off with the intent of doing a DIY DTG, even bought an R1900 on closeout as a base. But after more research and consideration, I opted to screen print instead, as I didn't want the entire process to be dependent on computer hardware.

Old October 25th, 2018 Oct 25, 2018 11:42:56 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
#Tabob is the one who has done it (at least with a white screen print base and CMYK DTG on top ...
I thought I was for a while, but I'm not. Apparently, Kornit has been making high volume carousel attached printers since 2012, and Polyprint have been doing exactly what I do since 2015.
Quote:
though I imagine he came to that creative solution after trying with CMYKW DTG).
Correct! I tried CMYKW DTG and I'm not a big fan of it, because I really hate the pretreatment part, and the problems that come with it. However, printing over white or clear screen printed underbase is fantastic.

Anyway... the university campus is a fantastic opportunity to get started. As for the DTG printer maintenance, the print-head must be used daily (2-3 prints at least I'd say), and kept flooded in flushing solution when not in use. Also the ink system should be flushed every week for peace of mind. If the printer is not to be used over the weekend, then don't refill with ink until Monday.
NoXid likes this.

Old October 25th, 2018 Oct 25, 2018 12:04:14 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Another option instead of going with DTG, is using a laser transfer printer. You can do the small quantities without worrying about the printer setting idle between uses. They are also capable of high resolution, full-color imprints. Just make sure to go with a model that prints using white (not all do) and I would recommend getting one that can print 11x17 paper so your imprint size isn't limited. With laser transfer, you also have the option of printing on hard materials, like mugs and such, as well has temporary tattoos and water-slide decals. All you need is a different kind of transfer paper for each application.

Old October 25th, 2018 Oct 25, 2018 2:09:10 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPS
Another option instead of going with DTG, is using a laser transfer printer. You can do the small quantities without worrying about the printer setting idle between uses. They are also capable of high resolution, full-color imprints. Just make sure to go with a model that prints using white (not all do) and I would recommend getting one that can print 11x17 paper so your imprint size isn't limited. With laser transfer, you also have the option of printing on hard materials, like mugs and such, as well has temporary tattoos and water-slide decals. All you need is a different kind of transfer paper for each application.
An A3 size OKI white toner printer will cost around $5,000, and that's pretty much the only option. Also laser transfers are much more expensive that DTG.

This is a discussion about Should I invest in a DIY DTG printer? that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in