[DIY DTG] Epson 2100 / 2200 Mods - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] Epson 2100 / 2200 Mods

Like Tree3Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 13th, 2010 May 13, 2010 3:23:03 AM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Simon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Epson 2100 / 2200 Mods

ASF MOD

What i did to the asf unit is very simple and the only tool i used was my dremel and a screwdriver
I just removed anything that is not used and kept the only 2 sides of the asf unit. the one side carrys the gear and the other the sensor. I cut down the shaft from 40cm to 4cm and connected the 2 parts. 2 screws to keep parts together and viola.... a 4cm wide asf unit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00345_low.jpg (606.2 KB, 555 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00347_low.jpg (462.8 KB, 578 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2010 May 13, 2010 3:32:36 AM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanone
@at all 2100/2200

what is the printing time on your diy printer for a full a3+ design on a white shirt?
I put everything together today.
I printed a 2 pass image wich was printed perfectly
And i also printed a perfect PF adjustment Test Page for the first time
I loaded dtg inks and i can say that the machine is practically finished
I ll do some tests and i will then reply for printing times for 360 720 and 1440
Here are the pics, the video is coming
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00348_low.jpg (421.8 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00349_low.jpg (392.6 KB, 201 views)

Old May 13th, 2010 May 13, 2010 1:04:41 PM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

the reason why i asked for the printing speed was that i havent been using the machine for a long time, but a few days ago i filled my carts again with dtg inks , but it took a way to long for a full sized image to be printed.
after some checks i learned something new :

if you put the head in the highest position , no matter what printing speed you choose , it will only print in unidirectional mode. to overcome this you can simply remove both switches , which are under the lever , but you have to glue one of the arms to keep it in the right position.
this way you can print in bidirectional mode , no matter what heightsetting you have choosen.

The Following User Says Thank You to zanone For This Useful Post:
Justin Walker (May 13th, 2010)

Old May 14th, 2010 May 14, 2010 12:35:26 AM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanone
the reason why i asked for the printing speed was that i havent been using the machine for a long time, but a few days ago i filled my carts again with dtg inks , but it took a way to long for a full sized image to be printed.
after some checks i learned something new :

if you put the head in the highest position , no matter what printing speed you choose , it will only print in unidirectional mode. to overcome this you can simply remove both switches , which are under the lever , but you have to glue one of the arms to keep it in the right position.
this way you can print in bidirectional mode , no matter what heightsetting you have choosen.
Can you define Highest Position?
You mean the PG lever setting? Or the platen - head gap?

Old May 14th, 2010 May 14, 2010 10:55:04 AM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmos
Can you define Highest Position?
You mean the PG lever setting? Or the platen - head gap?
Yes , i mean the PG lever setting.

by the way , to overcome any paperwidth-sensor related problems , just disconnect the cable from the carriage.
it is , when the carriage is sitting on top of the capping station and you watch from the to front , on the left side of the carriage.

Old May 14th, 2010 May 14, 2010 3:31:33 PM -   #21 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I have removed the cables and put a jumper on the red mainboard pin.I left the PG lever working as i want this mini adjustment until i make the final height adjustment mechanism.
Just unplug the PW cable and works? cooool
Does this speeds the loading time at all?

Old June 19th, 2010 Jun 19, 2010 10:48:15 AM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Essen

O.K. Maybe you folks have run into this or can point me in the right direction. I have a 2200 up and running still using stock ink. it works about every 4th time. the other three times it gives me one of 2 errors. I am having trouble tracking them down.

usually it is a paper not loaded error. It seems to depend on the paper feed sensor as I've moved the platen forward and back and it seems to occur whether the PE sensor is tripped or not. Is there a position that the little square hole on the sensor in top paper sheet feeder should start at? I have it at 11:30 or 12 oclock now looking straight at the sensor from the power cord side. (My paper feeder is chopped down and put back together in the same position it was taken apart...it is basically a gear and a sensor now like in the picture above from cmos thread #16.)

Also, what distance back from the front edge of the metal bracket (that used to hold the 10 or so white spring rollers to push the paper down on the paper feed roller) should the front edge of the platen be? I may be off on that. It seems that both the proper position of the platen and the sensor would fix my problem.

The second error is occasionally where all the red lights flash quickly and the printer needs to be unplugged. The first time this happened, I moved the sensor on the paper feed roller (the plastic disc sensor) and it went away.... but it occasionally happens without warning. Anyone else have this problem and what did you isolate it to?

I have my PG lever second from top setting -from the lever perspective, not the head. And the PW sensor is unplugged.

I'd like to have it printing reliably with the stock ink (preferably able to do multiple passes with good alignment) before I throw more money at it in the form of textile inks, CIS, and multirip. Any tips would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2721.JPG (1.10 MB, 455 views)

Old June 19th, 2010 Jun 19, 2010 11:20:45 AM -   #23 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

How you load the platen?
Have you relocated the Paper sensor?

The second error is Fatal Error usually happens when things are not rolling free

The best tip i can give you is to download the service manual and the epson adjustment program

Old June 19th, 2010 Jun 19, 2010 12:28:19 PM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

the platen is like a flat drawer about 6inches down from the head. I have a thick lightweight removable 13x19 platen that the tee rests on... it is not fastened down yet as I am trying to find the best placement. I have not relocated the paper sensor, I've just lengthened it so that the tshirt platen will trigger it. I suppose lengthening it could also be the same as moving it forward a few mm, though.

I have the service manual. It is invaluable... but it doesn't tell me the measurement that I am looking for, nor does it tell me the angle of the starting position of an unmodified sheet feeder sensor. I marked it before I took it apart and cut it down and put it back the same way, and it seems like it probably doesn't matter... but I am curious.

2 answers would help me.
1) I need to know how far a platen moves before triggering the PE sensor... that is a better way to ask as it takes the differences out of each persons design.

2) I also need to know from someone that has a 2200 what the default starting angle is of the round sensor on the sheet feeder. (i.e. Where is the square cutout?) I have it a little bit back from top dead center. about 11:30 if looking at it from the side as if it were a clock.

Old June 19th, 2010 Jun 19, 2010 3:26:17 PM -   #25 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I have the PG lever in the lowest position (Manual Feed) and the only thing i have to do is manually trigger the paper sensor in order to load the platen, i haven't done any testing test in the other positions. I dont touch the ASF wheel at all, the printer moves it where he want it.
The main problem printing from the manual feed is that it wont print in bidirectional mode

The Following User Says Thank You to cmos For This Useful Post:
essen48183 (June 19th, 2010)
Old June 19th, 2010 Jun 19, 2010 7:33:44 PM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

To make that work, I suppose I would need to hook the PW sensor back up. I had unhooked it even though I wasn't getting paper width errors at someone's advice. The manual says that sensor becomes the leading edge sensor in that lever setting. Thanks. I bet I plug that in and she works great. I suspected that the ASF sensor did it's own thing which was the beauty of your mod, but after I did it I got concerned that I had to initially mesh that gear in exactly the proper place.

Thanks for your advice. I actually don't think I want it to print bidirectional. I have one or two "slips" when it is moving that fast anyways because my platen is so heavy. I think I'd need a cogged belt to get that platen to not slip. I'm at my other job now, won't be able to get at my printer til tuesday. I bet you solved my problems, though. thanks for taking the time.

To be clear.
1) you flip the pg lever down (so that an unmodified printer would unclamp the paper) load your shirt in and place the platen so that the leading edge is near the print head.
2) you manually trigger and release the PE sensor
3) you flip the PG lever up one notch to be in board feed mode (or whatever it is called)
4) you press the paper button
5) the PW sensor finds the leading edge and the width and it awaits a print job
6) you send the job and it prints. (but not in bidirectional)

Last edited by essen48183; June 19th, 2010 at 08:03 PM..

Old June 20th, 2010 Jun 20, 2010 12:17:53 AM -   #27 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Here is 2 videos of the finished machine

1 Start up and load.

2 Printing an image and showing the Paper position and PF system

The PG lever is in 3rd position with jumpers on the board so that i can use the lever for height adjustment (one jumper on the red connector on the MB and left the yellow open)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmos For This Useful Post:
finep ts (June 25th, 2010), german13 (June 20th, 2010)
Old June 20th, 2010 Jun 20, 2010 12:38:56 AM -   #28 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jeff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,052 Posts

Simon,

very nice job!!!....

I dont think alot of people quite understand how much time and effort go into these machines...

great job..

Last edited by german13; June 20th, 2010 at 08:49 AM..

Old June 20th, 2010 Jun 20, 2010 1:25:37 AM -   #29 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Thanks Jeff.
This my payback to the community of t-shirt forums, i have learned alot of things
Thank you all
Sharing will make everything better

Old June 28th, 2010 Jun 28, 2010 5:30:59 PM -   #30 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

cmos, thanks for the tips and that ASF mod. German, thanks for the tip on using the paper roll mode in another thread. I'm up and running. I ran out of ink and ordered garment inks, but couldn't wait for the mail and went out and got stock ink and after about 2 hours she's alive and well, no more errors.

Aside from the thanks... I noticed an odd thing in the manual with regards to roll feed and I'm wondering if you guys have already barked up this tree. I haven't yet abandoned my PE sensor as you guys have. I have a piece of tape on it making contact now and hopefully will be machining a piece that can lift in either forward or reverse feeding of the shirt. I put my platten in from the back right now to not screw it up.

Anyway, tripping the PE sensor for 2 seconds with the PG sensors tripped as cmos noted above puts it in roll feed mode... in roll feed mode pressing the roll button REVERSES THE DIRECTION OF THE PLATEN A SET AMOUNT and it then tries to find the end of the paper again. This seems like something that can be put to great use aligning a second pass with the press of a button... It takes two or three presses toget it back far enough right now and it wipes out my taped up sensor... but it seems to be a promising little feature. I think it is there for manual cutting and then rewinding the paper to be ready to print again from a roll.

This is a discussion about Epson 2100 / 2200 Mods that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in