[DIY DTG] Epson 1400 Mods - Page 5 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] Epson 1400 Mods

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 8th, 2009 Jun 8, 2009 11:20:59 AM -   #61 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Ryan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Epson 1400 Mods

The aluminum tray is a very good idea, if I had thought of that I wouldn't have make the changes I just made a moment ago.
Anyway, I tried using only one slide, I didn't like the performance. The slides for one I think need more grease, and I'm not keen on investing in an aluminum tray until I have a working machine.

I put both slides back on, raised them about 1.5 - 2" above the paper feed roller, and I'm scavenging laser printers now to try to locate some rubber wheels that will go from the paper feed rod to touch the no-slip tape above. The only concern I have about proceeding with this method is: does a rubber wheel alter the ratio of travel for the drawer?
If this is going to compound my problem, then I guess I'd like to contact info for whomever produced that aluminum drawer for you.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2009 Jun 13, 2009 4:04:23 AM -   #62 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

What not to do...

Make sure that all the FFC are connected before you power your system back up.

If not, you may get some weird reaction from your printer. One example is watching your carriage slam itself to one side of the printer and the motor doesn't stop for a while... why, because the FFC cable was not completely inserted.

It happen again today, unattached FFC cable. Now this system doesn't power up at all.

Last edited by mintyandfresh; June 13th, 2009 at 08:50 AM..

Old June 16th, 2009 Jun 16, 2009 7:28:34 AM -   #63 (permalink)
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Hello everybody!
I'm going to print on t-shirts and I want to know, if images which were made by epson 1400 are nice?
And can enyone show some photos of the t-shirt with epson's print.

P.S. sorry for my english((

Old June 16th, 2009 Jun 16, 2009 4:24:11 PM -   #64 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Ryan,

Your jammin' man... Way to go. Those rubber wheels might make the difference.

Bob ?;O)

Old June 17th, 2009 Jun 17, 2009 9:21:39 AM -   #65 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Bob,
I think it may be a bad idea though, because I tested the idea by putting a CD on my finger and giving it a full rotate, the distance travelled would be much greater on whatever it touching the wheel than if the tray was touching the bar itself. So, I ditched that idea. I did get the entire tray system together and running only to discover the tray itself is far too heavy when made out of MDF, so I'm looking for a fabricator that can make me an aluminum tray which should move nicely when bolted into the slides, one of the other topics pointed me in that direction.
So, back to the waiting game until i find someone who can fab a precise aluminum tray for me.

Old June 17th, 2009 Jun 17, 2009 10:14:19 AM -   #66 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigosystems
Bob,
I think it may be a bad idea though, because I tested the idea by putting a CD on my finger and giving it a full rotate, the distance travelled would be much greater on whatever it touching the wheel than if the tray was touching the bar itself.
Well I agree that the tray is too heavy. Where is the rotary sensor in your mix... No matter what it should be insuring the platen moves the correct number of steps. The use of the rotary sensor should preclude worries about gearing if it is allowed to track the movement as designed... IMHO.

Bob ?;O)

Old June 17th, 2009 Jun 17, 2009 1:11:44 PM -   #67 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I'm trying to get some quotes for an aluminum tray fabrication, so when you say rotary sensor do you mean the one that is attached to the upper left side (there are two pieces, and they only seem to be used when cleaning and powering on to raise or lower the print head accordingly) or do you mean the ASF black wheel/sensor, or the piece called the encoder wheel (clear plastic with tick marks) just so we're on the same page here and we have the terminology correct. the encoder wheel is still connected to the main paper feed bar (grit bar) which moves the tray. The ASF (autosheet feeder) and sensor is only for getting the paper setup on a new sheet load, and that I have almost completely bypassed since I move the tray into position by hand before printing. I'm not concerned at the moment about registration line up for printing multiple passes etc. One pass at 720dpi color on white shirts is my current goal. 1 pass usually provides more than enough saturation to be permanent.

Old June 17th, 2009 Jun 17, 2009 3:42:35 PM -   #68 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Ryan,

I believe it is the encoder wheel...

Bob ?;O)

Old June 18th, 2009 Jun 18, 2009 1:42:51 AM -   #69 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Steve

have you managed to get the 1400 triggering the paper switch sensor correctly without error ? in that i mean with a platen running underneath ?

Old June 18th, 2009 Jun 18, 2009 9:58:48 AM -   #70 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Ok, the encoder wheel is actually the simplest of them IMO.
I mounted the entire paper feed wheel including the encode wheel through the frame, so it's almost as if nothing changed. I think it was this thread that I posted the pictures into, if not the other one about DIYDTG. you can see on the side how I set it up, although in those pics I don't have the sensors run yet. I just hot glued the sensor in place, allows boot up perfectly.

Old June 18th, 2009 Jun 18, 2009 11:58:58 AM -   #71 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Ok, the encoder wheel is actually the simplest of them IMO.
I mounted the entire paper feed wheel including the encode wheel through the frame, so it's almost as if nothing changed. I think it was this thread that I posted the pictures into, if not the other one about DIYDTG. you can see on the side how I set it up, although in those pics I don't have the sensors run yet. I just hot glued the sensor in place, allows boot up perfectly.
Well, this is my thought... Say you have a heavier motor which does the moving of the platen. You will need a simple circuit which will read the same DC voltage being sent to the small PF motor. It will turn on the heavier motor when the PF motor is moving and stop when it stops. If the PF roller which is making contact with the platen is being monitored by this encoder it will stop the heavier motor which is actually moving the platen. Now I am no electrical engineer but I have a friend who is and he says this is a simple circuit. If you can find someone or are able to do this yourself you have made great headway.

Bob ?;O)

Old June 18th, 2009 Jun 18, 2009 2:03:50 PM -   #72 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

that is actually very easy to do and I could do it, my concern would be the heavier motor would have to be the exact same RPM at a higher voltage in order to make it move the exact same distance. I'm having the aluminum tray made so I'll update everyone after that is done.
Thanks.

Old June 18th, 2009 Jun 18, 2009 2:06:49 PM -   #73 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Steve

have i turned invisible ? booh! have you actualy got the 1400 triggering the paper sensor without error and feeding a platen through ? if you cant get that part done then everything else is pretty much academic, answers on a postcard.........

Old June 18th, 2009 Jun 18, 2009 3:49:01 PM -   #74 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
that is actually very easy to do and I could do it, my concern would be the heavier motor would have to be the exact same RPM at a higher voltage in order to make it move the exact same distance. I'm having the aluminum tray made so I'll update everyone after that is done.
Thanks.
No, that's the wonder of the encoder... It ensures that the motor does not turn it more than what is necessary. The motor does not control the paper feed. That is the job of the encoder. The encoder controls the PF motor and can just as easily control a larger motor. The RPM does not matter as long as the encoder exists.

Bob ?;O)

Last edited by colorfinger; June 18th, 2009 at 03:54 PM..

Old June 18th, 2009 Jun 18, 2009 6:32:46 PM -   #75 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Terry

You can find this solution on an instructable for a DIY CNC router. Don't know what kind of cable or string you would need to use the the answer to the slipping problem is to attach a cable/string to both ends of the tray and have it wrap a few times around the drive bar/rod and be taught (tight) enough to not slip on the rod as it starts and stops. As I said, this isn't anything thought up by me so I don't get credit for it.good luck.
Terry

This is a discussion about Epson 1400 Mods that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in