[DIY DTG] Epson 1400 Mods - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] Epson 1400 Mods

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 1st, 2009 Jun 1, 2009 8:23:44 AM -   #31 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Epson 1400 Mods

Steve,

Thanks for chiming in... You are proving what I've been saying. The rotary sensor is necessary for the operation of the unit. It counts the number of turns to ensure that the platen is moved the correct number of steps. So, no matter what mechanism is moving the platen, it needs to be countered by this sensor to ensure the platen is moving properly instep with the print head.

Bob ?;O)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2009 Jun 1, 2009 10:56:50 AM -   #32 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Ryan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Thanks much for the pictures, that helps me determine what's necessary and what isn't so far. How is the tray moving the platen below the printer is my question, I've removed my paper tray completely and I'm in the process of building a bypass for the rotary sensor in the ASF, since it seems the ASF is not needed at all for anything once it's all hacked apart. I see you used what appears to be cabinet glides, the only down side to this I can see is that you can't adjust for the height of the item. These are the questions I have about your design:
1. how is the paper feed motor moving the platen/drawer glides, are you using rubber tires that move the platen underneath or what? I'd really appreciate some closer pictures if possible of the underside of the platen/moving assembly
2. During the startup of the 1400, which should be the same as the 1800, the rotary sensor needs to be tripped, this i figured out, the next step seems to be that motor that lifts the head and the entire bar that the carriage glides on and when it reaches it's max height, the PE switch get triggered, I haven't checked to see if this is necessary or not.
3. I assume you cut all the metal out of the bottom of the unit in order to allow the platen to pass within range of the head, about how close do you have it? I'm curious the max range to prevent fuzziness of print.
Thanks so much for the assistance.

Old June 1st, 2009 Jun 1, 2009 11:36:24 AM -   #33 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigosystems
Thanks much for the pictures, that helps me determine what's necessary and what isn't so far. How is the tray moving the platen below the printer is my question, I've removed my paper tray completely and I'm in the process of building a bypass for the rotary sensor in the ASF, since it seems the ASF is not needed at all for anything once it's all hacked apart. I see you used what appears to be cabinet glides, the only down side to this I can see is that you can't adjust for the height of the item. These are the questions I have about your design:
1. how is the paper feed motor moving the platen/drawer glides, are you using rubber tires that move the platen underneath or what? I'd really appreciate some closer pictures if possible of the underside of the platen/moving assembly
2. During the startup of the 1400, which should be the same as the 1800, the rotary sensor needs to be tripped, this i figured out, the next step seems to be that motor that lifts the head and the entire bar that the carriage glides on and when it reaches it's max height, the PE switch get triggered, I haven't checked to see if this is necessary or not.
3. I assume you cut all the metal out of the bottom of the unit in order to allow the platen to pass within range of the head, about how close do you have it? I'm curious the max range to prevent fuzziness of print.
Thanks so much for the assistance.
to answer your questions:

1. im useing the paper roller to move the tray, the tray has no skid tape underneath to give it something to grip on just like the original c88 plans, im surprised at how robust a setup that has proved to be, i have been running the 1160 for well over a year and thousands of prints and im still on the original paper roller and drawer slide, i have changed the no skid tape once.

2. if i understand you correctly there isnt anything you need to do about that part, just let it do its thing, there is a switch for the dvd/cd tray that has to be in the right prosition or it errors, only two positions, you will work it out

3. i have attached a piccy of the underside where the platen goes through, i cut out everything i needed with a little rotary saw and diamond tipped blades, best tool i ever bought! the gap needs to be around 4 - 5mm from printhead to shirt, out of the lint line of the shirt and a little more, that platen in the piccy was a bit to high and needed to be another 1 - 1.5mm lower away from the head.

a question for you all, on my older A3 dtg 1160 printer there is a lever on the side that can adjust the head height by about 1mm, which i have found very handy, its meant for printing on thick media such as envelopes, can you get the 1800/1400 version to do this ? i know it can as the bar goes up and down on boot up, obviously there is no manual lever, so how ? i never figured it out on the old 1800 setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paperswitch3.jpg (109.9 KB, 628 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to sodrisc For This Useful Post:
Justin Walker (July 31st, 2009)

Old June 1st, 2009 Jun 1, 2009 11:50:46 AM -   #34 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

The setup Steve is showing is the same as the C88 instructions. The platen is sitting on top of the PF roller.

Bob ?;O)

Old June 1st, 2009 Jun 1, 2009 12:18:49 PM -   #35 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Ok, I just finished cutting some bits out of the printer, I now have the paper feed bar (with the decoder wheel) removed and ready to be placed somewhere, overall it seems like a robust enough method, i'm going to skip out on my idea of using the ball screw drive as this setup should give me all the features I really need (to print on light shirts and if I ever get the desire, I can fiddle around with the RIP to try doing white)
I'm currently just shorting wires together for the cd tray switch, there's no reason to have a switch there if it's never going to be used, this puts it in the always paper mode (cd tray mode raises the print head) maybe I'll pull something in later after I have a working unit. I'm going to get the pieces together to build the drawer then and let everyone know how it goes, this is more hobby than professional. I've also never actually seen the last half of the plans from the c88 diydtg so I guess I'll have to locate those for the rest of the build. I'm planning on using MDF for the drawers and/or the platen, that last pic looks like a professionaly made platen from one of the commercial DTGs, where did you get that one?

So for everyone, in case anyone wants a breakdown of the 1400 boot up,

Power Switch, Rotary sensors (there's 2 of them, this is the part where it raises the print carriage), Paper feed roller (decoder wheel sensor) AND the ASF rotary sensor are both triggered and polled simultaneously. Carriage returns and parks on the cleaning station. If at this point you didn't wire/tape up the CD/DVD switch, it will attempt to switch to CD Tray mode. If the CD Tray switch is not rigged when you power it on, you may get a general error.

It seems on almost all my bootups so far, the printer things that there was a paper jam so it does the slow carriage move to detect the carriage position, perhaps after I get everything together it will stop doing this.

I'm going to order in the bulk ink system and try with that, refilling cartridges is too much of a hassle for me.
Going to post more pictures on the yahoo group of the final stage of teardown.

The Following User Says Thank You to vertigosystems For This Useful Post:
Justin Walker (July 31st, 2009)
Old June 1st, 2009 Jun 1, 2009 12:33:04 PM -   #36 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

i get my platens in a kit form, there is a great plastics seller on ebay in the uk, i order a a4 and a3 sheet of acrylic for the top and bottom and get the tubeing for the legs cut to length, then just glue it all together, costs about £20 per platen, not height adjustable though which is a pain in the rear.
The slow swoosh seems a normal part of a diy epson printer, all the ones i have done do it, i think its because one of the smaller rollers you removed has a bit of plastic on it that sticks up, when the printer first powers on it moves to the right, hits the end then normally moves left and hits the bit of plastic, then continues on its power up routine, with it removed it goes straight to the far end (painfully slowly!)then returns, at this point it checks the step sensor on the main roller wheel (the bit on the right in the piccy one page back), if thats not aligned just right it makes a big spin on the roller then errors, alignment on that sensor is crucial.

Last edited by sodrisc; June 1st, 2009 at 12:38 PM..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sodrisc For This Useful Post:
Graveslab (February 13th, 2015), lama (November 26th, 2011)
Old June 1st, 2009 Jun 1, 2009 6:05:37 PM -   #37 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thanks for the info on the platen, I'd be concerned with the static that acrylic might cause, but if you've done ok with it we'll probably go the same way. We have a laser engraver/cutter so we can slice up some acrylic or lexan sheet ourselves and/or possibly make our own specialty platens. We also use the laser engraver for burning images into leather & denim like Levi's does from their website, it's a handy tool to have

Old June 3rd, 2009 Jun 3, 2009 12:01:42 PM -   #38 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I went looking for drawer glides for this 1400 mod, and if I'm figuring the correct travel distance needed for the platen/drawer according to the diydtg plans, I'd need a glide about 42" long, I can't seem to find anything that would come close. I'm assuming that I only need enough area so that the platen/drawer could be exactly 19" behind where the printing starts and 19" ahead of the print area, so 38" slide, which I still can't find. I guess unless someone can give me a poke in the right direction as to how to solve the travel issue without using a ball drive, I'd appreciate it. is there a way to put slides end to end where there wouldn't be a hang up during the printing process? or maybe I'm overcomplicating this.

Old June 4th, 2009 Jun 4, 2009 1:59:53 PM -   #39 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

precision drawer slide from Lowes #72793 model 8400 wp24

Old June 4th, 2009 Jun 4, 2009 3:42:17 PM -   #40 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thank you, I'm off to pick up my supplies shortly.

Old June 4th, 2009 Jun 4, 2009 8:53:40 PM -   #41 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

How about a 28" version. boldhardware.com The model number is KV8450B-28.

I thought about getting the same one at Lowes, but the 1400 likes to advance about 4 inches on boot-up and about 5 inches on ejection. So I wanted some extra room to work with.

Old June 5th, 2009 Jun 5, 2009 2:25:19 AM -   #42 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

the one i listed above worked fine on a R1800.

Old June 5th, 2009 Jun 5, 2009 2:59:12 AM -   #43 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

It's all good information.

Here's something I found interesting about the CD Switch. When you get the general error lights and you power off and power on the unit and it doesn't clear. I flip the sensor to the open position and power off and back on the printer. It'll move the ink system slowly to the left and back to the right, then the its ready to go.

I was experiencing this when I the paper jam sensor missed its mark. I was tired of holding on the original cd switch while the ink system moved from one end to the other so I replaced it with a small toggle switch. Now when I get the error light and it doesn't clear with the normal on/off printer button. I flip the switch to the open position and power the unit up. Once it's ready, I flip the switch back to the closed position. Works most of the time for me.

Old June 5th, 2009 Jun 5, 2009 10:11:48 AM -   #44 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Ok, based on the modifications from the original diydtg plans, I was going to cut my drawer at 20" deep in order to account for an extra inch beyond what the 1400 can print at a maximum.
Does this sound ok? And then now that I have the drawer glides and I understand how they work, I'm assuming I have to place the print mechs near the front rather than in the exact center and make the lower base 28" deep and mount the drawer glides near the back.
the print head should be located at about 20" from the back then (and the PE switch as well)

Any comments or suggestions before I move forward with those measurements?

Old June 5th, 2009 Jun 5, 2009 10:44:27 AM -   #45 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigosystems
Ok, based on the modifications from the original diydtg plans, I was going to cut my drawer at 20" deep in order to account for an extra inch beyond what the 1400 can print at a maximum.
Does this sound ok? And then now that I have the drawer glides and I understand how they work, I'm assuming I have to place the print mechs near the front rather than in the exact center and make the lower base 28" deep and mount the drawer glides near the back.
the print head should be located at about 20" from the back then (and the PE switch as well)

Any comments or suggestions before I move forward with those measurements?
Some things to take into considerations:
If the printer frame will be in a fixed position..
Position of the main roller (this will spin the max length 19 inches) Plus an additional five inches or so on ejection (unless you let the drawer portion slide off the main roller)
When powering up the printer, it will move the drawer about four inches. (Simply just push it back in place and no adjustment).
One end of the drawer slide position should be position near the main roller.

This is a discussion about Epson 1400 Mods that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in