[DIY DTG] Epson 1400 Mods - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] Epson 1400 Mods

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 25th, 2009 May 25, 2009 8:57:29 AM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Steve
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Epson 1400 Mods

its a pity there isnt at least an archive of the old diydtg forums, there was alot of good info on there you would have found very useful.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2009 May 25, 2009 11:25:39 AM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

yea i was also wondering about that, i thought it was my computer or something.

Old May 27th, 2009 May 27, 2009 1:34:08 PM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Ryan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Ok, I've pretty much stripped down the 1400 to it's basic components, now the hard part is making sure it stays functional. since it's a brand new system I didn't put any ink into it, so upon power on, the unit goes through all it's tests and comes up with an ink light on the control panel simply meaning there's no cartridges. I'm thinking it may be necessary to actually program a new logic board to make sure every fires in the correct order on a power on. I removed the paper feeder unit from the back (the paper tray motor and left the sensor for the paper tray connected) and that resulted in a general error when powering on, if I can't remove a single sensor and keep it from producing general error, I'm not sure where to start on this, during the power on sequence it gives the paper tray motor a full rotate which spins a wheel between a sensor that only trips the sensor for about 1/4 of a second (I'll post pictures shortly) and without it, boom general error.

Old May 27th, 2009 May 27, 2009 2:03:57 PM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Ryan,

That rotary sensor tells the printer that the paper has been fed the correct distance. You won't get anywhere without cartridges installed. The PE sensor needs to be tripped when the T-Shirt gets where it is positioned.

In the C88 model, people have attached a spring to connect with the T-Shirt platen when it passes under. You can do this manually by holding it in a triggered position. Be prepared for a mess from the heads printing ink while your doing it.

Steve on the other hand suggests one might need a RIP but Bob Bristols design leads me to believe this won't be necessary.

I need to sit down and study how the mechanisms work...

Bob ?;O)

Old May 27th, 2009 May 27, 2009 2:18:56 PM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I'm hoping to find some more technical solution, i.e. being able to program a PIC chip that I can hook up to each individual sensor to allow it to trigger everything on each power up so at the very least I don't have to worry about the power up sequence, then it seems there are two switches as you said that have to be taken into account for ever "paper" feed, first being the rotary sensor so it know that the paper tray fed the paper in far enough to be grabbed by the rollers, which in the process triggers what I'll call the "paper exists" switch up until the point the printer chooses to eject the paper, or the switch untrips making the printer complain it's out of paper, the latter switch is easy to control, the rotary one, it seems not so much. Are there other sensors I'm not seeing that have already been sussed out that I should know about?

Old May 27th, 2009 May 27, 2009 3:18:00 PM -   #21 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

inside the printhead is also a sensor (dont know if also in the 1400) that checks if something is under the printhead.

im not actually sure about it but i once owned this wacky chinese dtg. it was giving me constant troubles with all lights blinking.
it had a white strip on the platen straight under the printhead. the part under the head broke off oneday and i got only errors. when i flipped the stip so the other end would sit under the head, it solved the errors.
i couldnt really see a sensor but having something white there made it work again.

Old May 28th, 2009 May 28, 2009 1:59:10 AM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

i remember that, but i think its was something unique to the printer you bought schenk, i havent seen any such sensor on any of the following epson models i have stripped down, D88, 760, 1160, 1290 or R1800.

Old May 28th, 2009 May 28, 2009 3:37:10 AM -   #23 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

not very likely, but maybe its the reason why in your setup it only works with the rip. we should look at the chematics. perhaps there is a unknown sensor

Old May 28th, 2009 May 28, 2009 5:54:50 AM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanone
The 1410 seems to be the same machine as the 1400 , maybe relabeled for different countries (just like the epson s20 - epson t20)

Epson Stylus Photo 1400 / 1410 | C11C65503

i thought it migth be interesting , as some of you converted a 1400 into a dtg, but i have never seen a commercial one based on a 1400/1410.
Yep...same machine...different countries!

Old May 28th, 2009 May 28, 2009 8:51:55 AM -   #25 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenk
not very likely, but maybe its the reason why in your setup it only works with the rip. we should look at the chematics. perhaps there is a unknown sensor
OK team, this weekend I will commit myself to understanding the exact mechanisms in place and the procedural functions of the 1400. I will post a write up as soon as possible...

Bob ?;O)

Old May 28th, 2009 May 28, 2009 9:43:22 AM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I've posted a number of pictures and comments about the epson 1400 on the yahoo group
homemade_dtg : Homemade_DTG Direct to Garment Printer

I've extracted all the mechanisms and so far I've discovered three main switches involved in the 1400, the CD tray switch (which should be shorted IMO so it doesn't trigger cd mode) the rotary sensor which will probably be the hardest to counter, and the PE switch which tells the printer there is something printable there. I'm rather doubtful about a printhead sensor, but Epson has some weird things in there. I've had epson models that have had jammed paper which caused the PE switch to trigger and it would continue printing on nothing so long as the carriage didn't jam (making an inky mess on the absorbent strip in the platen area, which is only there to absorb ink when doing full bleed prints)

As long as the rotary sensor completes one pass on startup, I can get it to power on without any complaints.

The Following User Says Thank You to vertigosystems For This Useful Post:
colorfinger (May 28th, 2009)
Old May 28th, 2009 May 28, 2009 12:47:28 PM -   #27 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Ryan,

Sahne showed a mod where he was hacking the rotary sensor. Perhaps he could shed some lite on it for you...

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/diy-dtg...tml#post495947

Bob

Old May 29th, 2009 May 29, 2009 5:56:18 PM -   #28 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I looked over those, I didn't see any pics of his actual mod, but I got some ideas from the other pictures nonetheless. I'm still going to be stuck at a point unless I can get some flatflex cables and "couplers" of some kind that I can extend most of the electronics away and from the print module and then I can cut away the excess metal.

I'm wondering how I can redirect the paper feed motion making the printer move down a tray it seems much easier than moving the platen with belts/gears.

I know there's alot of information here, but I'm having difficulty meshing it to the 1400. this might be a bit more carpentry than I bargained for. And I don't have the metalworking skills Sahne has to make such a nice looking table with the screw drive.

Old May 29th, 2009 May 29, 2009 7:08:15 PM -   #29 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigosystems
I looked over those, I didn't see any pics of his actual mod....
I thought we were discussing the rotary sensor.... Here's his mod...

Couldn't you take any ribbon cable and hack to work? I think you can find product to couple cables....

Bob ?;O)

Old May 30th, 2009 May 30, 2009 3:46:45 AM -   #30 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigosystems
I looked over those, I didn't see any pics of his actual mod, but I got some ideas from the other pictures nonetheless. I'm still going to be stuck at a point unless I can get some flatflex cables and "couplers" of some kind that I can extend most of the electronics away and from the print module and then I can cut away the excess metal.

I'm wondering how I can redirect the paper feed motion making the printer move down a tray it seems much easier than moving the platen with belts/gears.

I know there's alot of information here, but I'm having difficulty meshing it to the 1400. this might be a bit more carpentry than I bargained for. And I don't have the metalworking skills Sahne has to make such a nice looking table with the screw drive.
doing it the first time around and making the tray move underneath the printer just like the c88 plans is the simplest way of making it work, just make the tray wider and organise the gears like in the image attached (thats a R1800 but the 1400 is the same) you can sling the power supply/motherboard along the side initially without extending cables (apart from the pf motor cable) get it working then mess about with upgrades to the original spec that we know works. You will at least make progress this way, just my two pence.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motorside.jpg (99.6 KB, 532 views)
File Type: jpg side2.jpg (91.9 KB, 608 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sodrisc For This Useful Post:
colorfinger (June 1st, 2009), Justin Walker (July 31st, 2009)

This is a discussion about Epson 1400 Mods that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in