[DIY DTG] RIP Software Options - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] RIP Software Options

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 4th, 2009 Apr 4, 2009 3:10:38 PM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Susan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: RIP Software Options

Hello,
I bought my rip-software from: EUKON DIGITAL, INC. Technology for Fast Digital Color Textile Printing.
It is very easy to use... It supports all Epson based printers.
You can also get a demo from them....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2009 Apr 4, 2009 3:38:06 PM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Steve
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

i thoroughly tested that rip against multirip on the diy r1800, multirip won hands down, the prints are more defined and the main issue i had with that eukon rip was that it didnt do the fine steps that multirip did, which caused alot of rattling about and some misregistration, that could be overcome with a redesign of the wooden chassis you attach it to, but time is money and i went with what worked the best, true multirip is double the price but then its twice as good in my opinion. I havent used it for a while and its been updated since i last used it in anger, im still using the 1160 and doing just cmyk on whites/lights with the standard epson driver. Im getting through a 1160 every six months and a pf motor about every three months, there arent any new 1160's about anymore although i do have one new backup unit left, so i will have to do a R1900 diy in the not to distant future which is fully supported with the latest multirip version which im very pleased about

anyone considering doing a R1800 and upward for a diy will HAVE to use a rip of some kind, you just cant get it to trip the paper sensor correctly without one and boy did i fling myself at that wall for days on end, with a rip you can place the platen almost anywhere and it just works.

Last edited by sodrisc; April 4th, 2009 at 03:44 PM..

Old April 4th, 2009 Apr 4, 2009 4:14:30 PM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Susan, Steve,

Thanks for adding in... I guess everyone should try the available demo's. Perhaps most of the available RIPs have been updating to overcome issues like the one you mentioned Steve. Multirip does sound like the ticket.

Steve,

You say you are going through a DTG every six months. Have you contacted Epson support to see if they have replacement parts? Buying a new printer every six months sounds like a pain and if you are getting that much business wouldn't it pay to get a commercial one?

Mark,

You mentioned that there might be firmware to get the platen to return. Do you have a lead to anything like this that is available commercially? Could a flash dryer be used to quickly set the white inc before a second run?

Thanks,

Bob ?;O)

Old April 4th, 2009 Apr 4, 2009 4:50:21 PM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfinger
Susan, Steve,

Thanks for adding in... I guess everyone should try the available demo's. Perhaps most of the available RIPs have been updating to overcome issues like the one you mentioned Steve. Multirip does sound like the ticket.

Steve,

You say you are going through a DTG every six months. Have you contacted Epson support to see if they have replacement parts? Buying a new printer every six months sounds like a pain and if you are getting that much business wouldn't it pay to get a commercial one?

Mark,

You mentioned that there might be firmware to get the platen to return. Do you have a lead to anything like this that is available commercially? Could a flash dryer be used to quickly set the white inc before a second run?

Thanks,

Bob ?;O)
when i hit a wall of problems i give it two days to resolve, if i cant locate the problem (swapping motherboards/capping stations/heads etc....) i swap out the whole unit, this i can do in 2 - 3 hours, time is money. Each printer so far cost about £100 each, im on number three, so the last 18 months of dtg printing have cost me about three hundred quid, about the cost of 1.5 replacement heads for a commercial epson dtg which im sure would have used a head or two in that time, add in the purchase cost of a commercial dtg and its still a far far cheaper way to do it. I have sourced pf motors (that drive the tray, they do burnout) at £25 a pop so thats not to much of a problem. Im happy where i am at the moment.

Old April 4th, 2009 Apr 4, 2009 5:43:31 PM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodrisc
when i hit a wall of problems i give it two days to resolve, if i cant locate the problem (swapping motherboards/capping stations/heads etc....) i swap out the whole unit, this i can do in 2 - 3 hours, time is money. Each printer so far cost about £100 each, im on number three, so the last 18 months of dtg printing have cost me about three hundred quid, about the cost of 1.5 replacement heads for a commercial epson dtg which im sure would have used a head or two in that time, add in the purchase cost of a commercial dtg and its still a far far cheaper way to do it. I have sourced pf motors (that drive the tray, they do burnout) at £25 a pop so thats not to much of a problem. Im happy where i am at the moment.
See Steve, That's the practical stuff I like to hear. So you are getting a good rate of return on your investment on replacing the units. Good to know!

Bob ?;O)

Old April 4th, 2009 Apr 4, 2009 10:41:54 PM -   #21 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodrisc
Im getting through a 1160 every six months and a pf motor about every three months...
Steve, about how many prints are you getting out each 1160?

Thanks,

Bob ?;O)

Old April 5th, 2009 Apr 5, 2009 12:03:02 AM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

im not really sure, i sell direct to the customer and get around 5 - 10 orders a day, sometimes less sometimes a little more, but as i said it always seems to break down after six months (ish) one was my fault, daydreaming while putting the platen on, not getting it flat and having one almighty headstrike, bye bye head, that replacement unit (ebay) was cheaper than buying in a new head and i had it to hand so it made sense to just replace the lot as i also got a shiny new capping station/wiper blade etc.... thrown in. Obviously you cant do that with a 1800/1900, they rarely seem to sell for under £200 on ebay used plus i only like to work with brand new units, although i have just bouht a spares/repair 1290 to check the internal setup for its likely conversion to dtg, looks the same as a 1160 so would be fairly straightforward to convert i think.

Old April 5th, 2009 Apr 5, 2009 12:24:58 AM -   #23 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Steve,

It sounds like your options are dwindling down for new printers. The 1400 is the new entry level 13 X 19 and at 299.00 US a pop you're going to have to wait before they come down to a reasonable used price. However, if you're bringing in about $180 or so a day on that machine it sounds like that really isn't going to be a problem.

Bob ?;O)

Old April 5th, 2009 Apr 5, 2009 12:35:08 AM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

the 1400 is basically the same unit as a 1800 but with a different head, so all i can see is the same problem of paper switch detection i had with the 1800 and no rip, as far as i know there is not a rip out there for a 1400 so its not a good candidate for diy. Im not a memeber of any groups working on the diy so for all i know someone has got one working somewhere, the 1900 does have that teflon coated head though, i really need to do one of those, any benefactors out there who would like to donate one? haha!

Old April 5th, 2009 Apr 5, 2009 7:58:14 AM -   #25 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

Quote:
Mark,

You mentioned that there might be firmware to get the platen to return. Do you have a lead to anything like this that is available commercially?
If you ask an OEM manufacturer of dtg printers what their most expensive R&D item is, they will say that it is the firmware / boards. If a DIY user wanted this level of firmware, they should expect that it would cost several thousands of dollars --- much more money than the total cost their printer and it begins to push the price up to an OEM dtg cost. Most of the DIY users don't want to pay this type of money. If someone really was interested, then they can PM me and I will see if I can give them names of people to contact.

Quote:
Could a flash dryer be used to quickly set the white inc before a second run?
The problem with this concept (which has been tried before) is that you don't want to have anything that gets hot close to your printhead. Otherwise, the nozzles will dry out really fast and you will have clogging problems. You also can't pull the shirt off the platen --> take it over to the flash unit to cure and put it back on the platen... due to getting it perfect registration. This is one of the things that the ink manufacturers work very hard on, but I am not sure if it is going to get any better in the near future. There has been some testing using an UV light with different UV inks, but the samples I have seen are not flexible and break off from the garment. They are really made for hard substrates that are not bendable.

Hope this answers your questions.

Mark

Old April 7th, 2009 Apr 7, 2009 9:47:27 AM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAGuide
The problem with this concept (which has been tried before) is that you don't want to have anything that gets hot close to your printhead. Otherwise, the nozzles will dry out really fast and you will have clogging problems.

Well you could have your tray reach far enough from the printer so that it can't affect the printer...

Certainly from all the activity in the DIY DTG forums there must be others who are printing with a white undercoat... Won't any of you chime in and let us know how it is working for you?

Bob

Old April 7th, 2009 Apr 7, 2009 10:01:43 AM -   #27 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

i have all the kit but not had time to try it yet (or the room really!), my platen is removeable, i intend on screening the white (waterbased opaque), warm it with a heat gun to give me a solid crust, then print over the top, registration will be sorted out in advance by printing the image onto a piece of paper first with the dtg then lineing it up on the one colour screen press. I have never burned a screen before so thats holding it up as well, i need to look into that a bit more, so much to test/try so little time to do it all.............

Old April 7th, 2009 Apr 7, 2009 10:09:50 AM -   #28 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Steve,

I just read that users of the DTG brand garment printer were doing the very same thing. I believe there was a third party that offered a similar solution as an addon. This solution certainly would eliminate the need for an expensive RIP. It would be nice if there were a software solution for controlling the extra ink channels on the wide format Epson printers. Since those extra channels use different blacks... I'm wondering if one couldn't tease those channels into printing if the color channels were manipulated in the photo app. This is something I'll have to experiment with.

Bob ?;O)

Bob

Old April 7th, 2009 Apr 7, 2009 12:36:48 PM -   #29 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

im not trying to avoid buying a rip as i already bought multirip for the 1800 (1900 conversion coming soon, no really this time it is!) im just trying to add the white capability to my 1160 for an upcoming project. Thinking about it i dont really need to burn a screen to test if it works or not, i will just screen a big square on a shirt and print something over it, registration doesnt really matter to test if the ink will adhere properly, i should get the time to do it on thursday.

Old April 7th, 2009 Apr 7, 2009 12:51:30 PM -   #30 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Steve, I guess if you design the graphics with a white vignette surrounding the image that would be a working solution.

Bob

This is a discussion about RIP Software Options that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in