Kit Plans Release Imminent - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

Kit Plans Release Imminent

Like Tree2Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 30th, 2016 Jul 30, 2016 4:22:27 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Chris
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Kit Plans Release Imminent

Hi all,

I am the fellow that designed and builds what is now a very common A3 DTG machine as seen for sale on ebay over the past 4 years. Epson stylus photo R2000 | eBay

Other pics attached

It has had a great 4 years with over 700 machines in circulaton now all over Europe. Recent mods such as laser heigh addon and electric adjustable height put the cherry on the cake for me regarding how far it can go and still be simple design.

Well to the point... I am thinking of releasing the design files as I am moving onto other projects. But I would like to know if the cost of the build even being homebuild may still be too much for the average DTG builder. The cost of extrusion, metal cutting, powder coating, electronics and general machined parts costs around £400 which is before the printer has even been bought. So my question is, if I release this kit design and it costs upwards of £700 to complete who would be taking it up?

I am concerned that releasing the plans will result in persons building and selling them commercially and nobody on low income building them which is the point of releasing the files.

Is £700 a reasonable budget for most home builders?

cheers
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg printer_2.jpg (107.6 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3578.JPG (810.1 KB, 155 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cjellwood For This Useful Post:
compuisla (July 30th, 2016), KevinSp2 (July 30th, 2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2016 Jul 30, 2016 8:07:02 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Kevin

Default Re: Kit Plans Release Imminent - Survey

I would be interested. I don't think that is too much.

Old July 30th, 2016 Jul 30, 2016 9:48:04 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

I believe that the vast mayority of people do not have the necessary skills, knowledge or budget to have parts manufactured. Even it they have access to an electronic board manufacturer, most will charge a much higher price if you have just one board made with the components solder. If the board manufacturer does not offer soldering services (or the price is too high), then you will have people trying to solder tiny components by hand.

Then people would need electronics knowledge to program the microcontroller, choose the right stepper motor, driver, power supply, belt, pulley and linear motion tracks configuration to achieve the neccesary steps per revolution. Also taking into account that some users will buy different print engines that have different counts per revolution, they would need to adjust the code depending on the printer that they choose. That would also require at least some very basic programming skils.

Then having access to a cnc service where they would send the cad or stl files to have the different plastic and steel parts cut and bent.

Finally purchasing the aluminum extrusion and necessary equipment to safely cut it.

This is just to get the parts they need for the build. Then there is the whole printer modification. And even when you have a finished printer, you would still need to know how to use it. That is, how to maintain the printer, pretreat a shirt, adjust the rip, cure the ink, handle the white ink issues, using the right ciss system, dampers, carts, resseters, etc.

In my opinion those who would be in a position to beneffit from the release of your files would be those with the money and knowledge to succeed in such an endevour. That is, people that will be using you design to make a product for profit.

Take a look at the t-dozer diy kit. Instead of releasing the plans, they are selling a proven complete kit solution. I think that actually helps the end user (which is the people you are trying to reach) as users are able to just follow instructions to complete their build. They do not need to have anything manufactured. I think selling an affordable kit solution would be of much greater help to the average user and you would still get a much deserved reward for the time and efford invested in developing you product.

It is not my intention to persuate you not to release your designs, you simply asked our opinion on whether people would use them for personal use or for profit. To me it is very clear that most will use them for profit.

Just my opinion and best of luck with your new projects.

Old July 30th, 2016 Jul 30, 2016 10:25:20 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Derek
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Absolutely spot on Estrada! I too am amazed at the 'I've got a heatpress, now what?' I'd build one! but then again,,, When?. I've just worked 4 weeks straight 7 days a week moving shop, there's customers backing up and the way things are going I won't have time for a shave for the next 6 weeks! (no, ain't moaning) maybe when I retire and move to Cornwall I'd have the time and the premises to make a really nice job of it but what happens then? start a t-shirt business?
In all honesty Chris If I was allowed the spare dosh to purchase the plans they'd never get built, and would remain as one of those 'one day' items I have already gathering dust.
like Estrada says, a CAD cut kit of major components would be an idea but it would leave you open to "I've opened the box, what next" brigade.
Congratulations on building a beautiful machine Chris, and I mean that, and all the best luck in the world taking it to market. Fingers crossed for you mate.

Old July 31st, 2016 Jul 31, 2016 12:18:36 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Andy
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I agree with the above posts. Your design is too much manufacturing for 99% of DIYers.

I had your same idea and released free Arduino code and base plans on my Open DTG - Build your own Direct to Garment Printer - Index page website.

I figured it had to use a widely available and relatively simple controller (Arduino) and a base design with the fewest possible custom parts (most can be found at Open Builds).

Old August 5th, 2016 Aug 5, 2016 9:18:45 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjellwood
Hi all,

I am the fellow that designed and builds what is now a very common A3 DTG machine as seen for sale on ebay over the past 4 years. Epson stylus photo R2000 | eBay

Other pics attached

It has had a great 4 years with over 700 machines in circulaton now all over Europe. Recent mods such as laser heigh addon and electric adjustable height put the cherry on the cake for me regarding how far it can go and still be simple design.

Well to the point... I am thinking of releasing the design files as I am moving onto other projects. But I would like to know if the cost of the build even being homebuild may still be too much for the average DTG builder. The cost of extrusion, metal cutting, powder coating, electronics and general machined parts costs around £400 which is before the printer has even been bought. So my question is, if I release this kit design and it costs upwards of £700 to complete who would be taking it up?

I am concerned that releasing the plans will result in persons building and selling them commercially and nobody on low income building them which is the point of releasing the files.

Is £700 a reasonable budget for most home builders?

cheers
Chris
i agrree with £600.
bravo.

Old August 6th, 2016 Aug 6, 2016 2:55:24 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Brian
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

How about releasing it at OpenDTG?

Old August 8th, 2016 Aug 8, 2016 6:18:59 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Well it will sure be helpful for some to have it all draw. For example I'm at the point of building the base for my DIY DTG and have spent some good hours on drawing some plans in corel draw in order to have it cut on a CNC machine. For me your plans would be very helpful as it would save a lot of time and I could easily adapt it to me own needs, as I already programmed 80% of my arduino and such.
I'm way over the 700 pounds with the expenses for this build as I tried to use the best parts I found.
I like you design because it's compact and looks really professional so if you won't release your plans to the general audience maybe you can send it to some fellows here on the forum that would really appreciate it and use it accordingly.

I'm not into building commercial machines for resseling an such, and if you look closely to my posts you can tell that I'm being honest when saying this.

Would be very glad to hear from you.

I will send you a PM with my email in case you would consider to reply.
Best regards and good luck with your new projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to adytt For This Useful Post:
cjellwood (August 9th, 2016)
Old August 14th, 2016 Aug 14, 2016 10:44:18 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

sorry for the delay replying to this thread.

The most complicated section of the build is the electronic height adjustment. That requires most machined parts and fiddling about There is no need for the lift system or it can be an added optional extra. Before the motored height I sold machines at a fixed height which was fine.

Gimme a day or so I will upload some pics of the giblets

cheers
Chris

Old August 14th, 2016 Aug 14, 2016 7:27:19 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Ed

I think it is a great deal and I would be proud to build mysel one lookong for a project and at present I have a r1800, 2000, 2200, and 2400. Also several r800's for parts buy all i find on craigslist

Old August 15th, 2016 Aug 15, 2016 2:25:21 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjellwood
sorry for the delay replying to this thread.

The most complicated section of the build is the electronic height adjustment. That requires most machined parts and fiddling about There is no need for the lift system or it can be an added optional extra. Before the motored height I sold machines at a fixed height which was fine.

Gimme a day or so I will upload some pics of the giblets

cheers
Chris
Thank you very much for finding time to answer here!
Looking forward to see those photos.

Old August 15th, 2016 Aug 15, 2016 5:34:05 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Here is the basic electronic parts that all have pre fabricated cables for connecting so no problem there. It disgusted me how UFO printers send their customers bare wires with hardly any document for where they connect to. Its not expensive or hard work to have cables made up so thats what I do.

IMG_3655.JPG

The main board is an Atmega chip completely open for further programming if required. There is also another PIC based circuit on one side for operating the height motor but I will leave that out for now. Interestingly this baord also powers my pretreat machine so it is a very handy board
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js_1ADZjzms

All components screw onto the back of the base plate. Pre cut holes for positioning.

The board supports R1800, R1900, R2880, R2000, R3000, 1500w and probably more that have the CN5 ribbon cable

more coming...

Old August 16th, 2016 Aug 16, 2016 12:22:47 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

That pre treat machine is outstanding, I was thinking to something similar so if possible please let me know the specifications for the pump and spray cap.

Looking forward for your future replys.
Regards!

Old August 16th, 2016 Aug 16, 2016 8:36:18 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Ed

I would love to have the plans. I am a 64 year old retired machinist who is ok with tech. I need a project to build a machine for myself to print tees for the local schools and my grandkids. I love a challenge. If possible release the complete plans. Be a gas to build.

Old August 17th, 2016 Aug 17, 2016 4:42:00 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I really don't know what to make of this post. As you know I am just 1 of the 700 people you scammed. You are worried that people will sell your design ? Lmao ,,, you have a low end system not fit for sale . You are up there with UFO and you're slagging them off ? At least the UFO system prints t-shirts. Opendtg has just launched and if Andy has any sense he will keep you as far away from it as possible . Anyone looking to do a diy build should look at opendtg if it's not for you go with a Gb-pro or t-dozer build . The below image along with your pretreat video sums you up chris (one big mess)

Last edited by splathead; August 23rd, 2016 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: Removed insult.

This is a discussion about Kit Plans Release Imminent that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in