[DIY DTG] Resources for building your own dtg machine. - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] Resources for building your own dtg machine.

Like Tree5Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 17th, 2011 Aug 17, 2011 1:13:39 AM -   #31 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

You can call me: al
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Resources for building your own dtg machine.

hello ,
thank you for all the info . what other printer we could try this on

thank you
goodfella

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2011 Aug 21, 2011 4:37:46 PM -   #32 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Steve

Hi everyone, i'm new here and plan on building my own DTG machine I have been doing a ton of research the past few days on what printers to use and the challenges and issues that come with them. I plan on my first experiment being with some epson likely an R280 because i have one with no use for it. What I am wondering however is if anyone has any experience with an ALPS MD-5000 printer I have MANY of them (5 in parts and a couple perfectly working ones). It basically uses ribbons and heat to transfer to the pages, it can print in the usual Black, Cyan, Yellow, Magenta as well as White, Gold Foil, Silver Foil, Metallic Silver, Metallic Gold, Metallic Magenta etc...

Has anyone ever tried anything with a printer like this? Quality and color wise it would kick *** IF it would print on the garment correctly but I'm not sure how the ribbon will adhere.

Thanks for your help and input

Old August 21st, 2011 Aug 21, 2011 5:21:50 PM -   #33 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg
Hi everyone, i'm new here and plan on building my own DTG machine I have been doing a ton of research the past few days on what printers to use and the challenges and issues that come with them. I plan on my first experiment being with some epson likely an R280 because i have one with no use for it. What I am wondering however is if anyone has any experience with an ALPS MD-5000 printer I have MANY of them (5 in parts and a couple perfectly working ones). It basically uses ribbons and heat to transfer to the pages, it can print in the usual Black, Cyan, Yellow, Magenta as well as White, Gold Foil, Silver Foil, Metallic Silver, Metallic Gold, Metallic Magenta etc...

Has anyone ever tried anything with a printer like this? Quality and color wise it would kick *** IF it would print on the garment correctly but I'm not sure how the ribbon will adhere.

Thanks for your help and input
Your not going to have any luck with a ribbon based printer. The only printers that are going to be appropriate are the Epson printers or the new Ricoh inkjet printers. The R280 looks like a worthy candidate. You should look at the C88 plans since this printer IN NOT a wide format printer. You can find the plans on the DIYDTG Wiki. Let us know how it goes for you.

Bob ?;O)

Old August 21st, 2011 Aug 21, 2011 5:56:16 PM -   #34 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfinger
Your not going to have any luck with a ribbon based printer. The only printers that are going to be appropriate are the Epson printers or the new Ricoh inkjet printers. The R280 looks like a worthy candidate. You should look at the C88 plans since this printer IN NOT a wide format printer. You can find the plans on the DIYDTG Wiki. Let us know how it goes for you.

Bob ?;O)
Ya thats what I intend on doing... as far as the C88 goes, I will make that happen with this R280, hopefully As for the ALPS, i know the ribbon will stick to cotton and its 100% waterproof i just dont know if it will be doable. Was hoping someone had some experience with that. While my primary project will be with the Epson's which we all know can and will work... if built correctly ... shouldn't be a problem for me. I would love to do it with the ALPS because it has so much more potential as far as printing coolness lol.

Old August 26th, 2011 Aug 26, 2011 6:56:46 AM -   #35 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:

Bob ?;O)
So as I plan on doing this project this weekend I was wondering if you were aware if the R280 and C88 would be the same dimensionally, that way I can use the C88 plans, if not I will just make my own rig and will take pictures and write it up so other people can use the R280 in case they haven't ... if anyone has please let me know if there are any issues you ran into.

Thanks

Steve

Old October 2nd, 2011 Oct 2, 2011 8:55:30 PM -   #36 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

OK Team, I have labored all day on this and believe it is ready for testing. I have programmed a number of the source files for Gutenprint and have demos of both the 1100 and 1400 capable of printing 3 color composite and a white background from Gutenprint. I created a page on the wiki with details...

http://diydtg.wikispaces.com/Gimp+Co...White+Printing

I'm looking forward to feedback and created a new thread to follow it. Please let me know what you think...

PS... I currently have Gutenprint printing four passes of each color. It was set at two by default so I'm guessing four will lay down twice as much ink...

Thanks,

Bob ?;O)

Old October 26th, 2011 Oct 26, 2011 2:01:41 PM -   #37 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

I updated the Wiki. It seems that the links to all the DTG plans broke. They are all available now.

Bob ?;O)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorfinger For This Useful Post:
DTFuqua (October 26th, 2011), jobshop03 (November 1st, 2011)
Old November 5th, 2011 Nov 5, 2011 8:17:15 AM -   #38 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Wendy

If I manage to get this made and actually work I will be happy to donate. Thanks so much.

Old January 20th, 2012 Jan 20, 2012 6:15:18 AM -   #39 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Hi guys. My question is: Is it posible to ceonvert epson stylus pro 4000? If the answer is YES, where to start/begin?
any 1 got plans?

Old January 27th, 2012 Jan 27, 2012 2:08:18 AM -   #40 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Question Re: Resources for building your own dtg machine.

Quote:
OK Team, I have labored all day on this and believe it is ready for testing. I have programmed a number of the source files for Gutenprint and have demos of both the 1100 and 1400 capable of printing 3 color composite and a white background from Gutenprint. I created a page on the wiki with details...

http://diydtg.wikispaces.com/Gimp+Co...White+Printing

I'm looking forward to feedback and created a new thread to follow it. Please let me know what you think...

PS... I currently have Gutenprint printing four passes of each color. It was set at two by default so I'm guessing four will lay down twice as much ink...

Thanks,

Bob ?;O)
Hi Bob,
This link did not work any more, do you have others?

Old February 16th, 2012 Feb 16, 2012 10:06:56 PM -   #41 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Burr

After its built, how much ink are you going through? Is it just the standard amount of ink or is it different since its DTG? What would you say your cost per print/shirt is coming out to?

Old March 18th, 2012 Mar 18, 2012 9:21:19 AM -   #42 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

hi there, hope to get info and help about this diy dtg.. thank, i am new here

Old April 17th, 2012 Apr 17, 2012 5:11:32 PM -   #43 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

hi to e-body
my first post here
after reading some very useful posts i start to make my 1th
homemade dtg
so, i took an old Epson C64pe and made all to work like flatbed printer
looks work correctly
now, waiting for cartridges with ink for printer - just to see how it works when printing (till now i dont start with printing - miss some of colours carts)
tomorrow my friend will bring carts to me, non-oem ORINK
i dont know anything about that brand
is this ink brand good enough to print on garment, need heating, ..?
some advices to solve irritating driving bed on start, ll be welcome
i also using thermal ribbon roland colourcamm 600 printer to print on vinyl, and can help with advice if someone need

Old May 3rd, 2012 May 3, 2012 8:51:29 AM -   #44 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: bung
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Smile Re: Resources for building your own dtg machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSTOM UK
The big $150 diy dtg thread has gotten so big now, it is taking people hours to read it. As people keep repeatedly asking where to get more information, especially the plans and the videos, I am putting some of the links here, so people don't have to keep breaking into other threads.

Plans...... Made my own DTG Printer for $150

Videos.... DIY DTG Printer - Truveo ??????

Forum Section: DIY DTG - T-Shirt Forums

Yahoo group.... homemade_dtg : Homemade_DTG Direct to Garment Printer

If you have other links to add to this list that will help people find the resources and supplies to build their own diy dtg, please feel free to contribute.

Thanks to Rodney for giving the DIY DTG its own category....

Those that can - build, those that can't - buy.
how if i use epson r230?...need rip sotfware for white colour..

Old May 29th, 2012 May 29, 2012 12:43:48 PM -   #45 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: paul

guys
c88 diy dtg working printer - YouTube,
check my second built 1400 Epson click the 4th one . I used a second frame of 1400 to be able to use the back eject and the front eject roller it helps a lot to move the platen which is a bigger than c88 one shaft is using a rubber and another one is coated for friction use ( will have good friction if u will use cork ). The motor is rigidly attached to the second frame with the assembly so there is no shaking and well aligned , every thing is intact . the ASF mechanism is attached to the original frame, only the back part is cut to allow the platen to pass through below ( the asf shaft is not cut ) and the PW is not disable ..only the cd/dvd sensor is tripped ( by priest suggestion )
good luck guys and more power to everybody .

This is a discussion about Resources for building your own dtg machine. that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in