T-Shirt Forums banner

Resources for building your own dtg machine.

[DIY DTG] 
129K views 63 replies 50 participants last post by  ziduo118 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The big $150 diy dtg thread has gotten so big now, it is taking people hours to read it. As people keep repeatedly asking where to get more information, especially the plans and the videos, I am putting some of the links here, so people don't have to keep breaking into other threads.

Plans...... Made my own DTG Printer for $150

Videos.... DIY DTG Printer - Truveo ??????

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3iOuKzhUlQ&feature=related[/media]

Forum Section: http://www.t-shirtforums.com/diy-dtg/

Yahoo group.... homemade_dtg : Homemade_DTG Direct to Garment Printer

If you have other links to add to this list that will help people find the resources and supplies to build their own diy dtg, please feel free to contribute.

Thanks to Rodney for giving the DIY DTG its own category.... :)

:) Those that can - build, those that can't - buy. :)

See less See more
#32 ·
Hi everyone, i'm new here and plan on building my own DTG machine :) I have been doing a ton of research the past few days on what printers to use and the challenges and issues that come with them. I plan on my first experiment being with some epson likely an R280 because i have one with no use for it. What I am wondering however is if anyone has any experience with an ALPS MD-5000 printer I have MANY of them (5 in parts and a couple perfectly working ones). It basically uses ribbons and heat to transfer to the pages, it can print in the usual Black, Cyan, Yellow, Magenta as well as White, Gold Foil, Silver Foil, Metallic Silver, Metallic Gold, Metallic Magenta etc...

Has anyone ever tried anything with a printer like this? Quality and color wise it would kick *** IF it would print on the garment correctly but I'm not sure how the ribbon will adhere.

Thanks for your help and input :)

#33 ·
Your not going to have any luck with a ribbon based printer. The only printers that are going to be appropriate are the Epson printers or the new Ricoh inkjet printers. The R280 looks like a worthy candidate. You should look at the C88 plans since this printer IN NOT a wide format printer. You can find the plans on the DIYDTG Wiki. Let us know how it goes for you.

Bob ?;O)

#36 ·
OK Team, I have labored all day on this and believe it is ready for testing. I have programmed a number of the source files for Gutenprint and have demos of both the 1100 and 1400 capable of printing 3 color composite and a white background from Gutenprint. I created a page on the wiki with details...

http://diydtg.wikispaces.com/Gimp+Co...White+Printing

I'm looking forward to feedback and created a new thread to follow it. Please let me know what you think...

PS... I currently have Gutenprint printing four passes of each color. It was set at two by default so I'm guessing four will lay down twice as much ink...

Thanks,

Bob ?;O)

#43 ·
hi to e-body
my first post here
after reading some very useful posts i start to make my 1th
homemade dtg
so, i took an old Epson C64pe and made all to work like flatbed printer
looks work correctly
now, waiting for cartridges with ink for printer - just to see how it works when printing (till now i dont start with printing - miss some of colours carts)
tomorrow my friend will bring carts to me, non-oem ORINK
i dont know anything about that brand
is this ink brand good enough to print on garment, need heating, ..?
some advices to solve irritating driving bed on start, ll be welcome
i also using thermal ribbon roland colourcamm 600 printer to print on vinyl, and can help with advice if someone need

#44 ·
The big $150 diy dtg thread has gotten so big now, it is taking people hours to read it. As people keep repeatedly asking where to get more information, especially the plans and the videos, I am putting some of the links here, so people don't have to keep breaking into other threads.

Forum Section: DIY DTG - T-Shirt Forums

If you have other links to add to this list that will help people find the resources and supplies to build their own diy dtg, please feel free to contribute.

:)how if i use epson r230?...need rip sotfware for white colour..;)

#45 ·
guys
c88 diy dtg working printer - YouTube,
check my second built 1400 Epson click the 4th one . I used a second frame of 1400 to be able to use the back eject and the front eject roller it helps a lot to move the platen which is a bigger than c88 one shaft is using a rubber and another one is coated for friction use ( will have good friction if u will use cork ). The motor is rigidly attached to the second frame with the assembly so there is no shaking and well aligned , every thing is intact . the ASF mechanism is attached to the original frame, only the back part is cut to allow the platen to pass through below ( the asf shaft is not cut ) and the PW is not disable ..only the cd/dvd sensor is tripped ( by priest suggestion )
good luck guys and more power to everybody .

#51 ·

Forum Section: DIY DTG - T-Shirt Forums

Idk if this will help but just sharing the information as I come across it. There is a DTGDIY video [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1xAwdXLhgY[/media] that shows an Epson 1400, the guy who made it says he used Acrorip full version with dongle to solve the "white ink" issue. He specifies which ink he uses which is good but you have to use it everyday to keep the the ink line clog free and clear. To me what makes a DTG worthwhile is being able to print on dark shirts. The other part is the feeding mechanisim which has to be dead on for registration purposes. So I hope this helps Custom UK in improving or perfecting your DIYDTG

#54 ·
An epson stylus Pro 4000 is a very good candidate for a dtg. There is quite a lot of info in the old $150 dtg thread but none with this printer. I wish I had one to work with because it has enough cartridges to make a white and color dtg.

First off get a service manual if you don't have one already. I have one if you need one. The concept is the same as any other built so don't be intimidated.

#56 · (Edited)
Ahh, The original one that started it all, I reference the early work to the model T:) There have been vast improvements thru the years from the original, eliminating the belt drive etc. etc. so these plans are kind of antique per say. Its actually much better in the wood version due to strength and temp flux tolerances/ cost! Plastic has a high expansion/contraction rate with temperature fluctuations The plastic version was a great concept for aesthetics but most don't have the required plastic welding skills/tools needed for a solid construction! you see a lot of folks trying to sell there old plastic pieces/ and shells for this reason! there have even been some commercial attempts and most have issues with the plastic breaking because its glued instead of welded. you really need to be a certified plastic welder with experience to fabricate the plastic versions of any fabrication plan. A lot of them are failed diy builder scraps or Johnny come lately profiteers trolling the forum for a quick buck! jumping in and out of threads with quick one liners for the advertisement but have no actual experience, knowledge to help others (there easy to spot :) )! ! these types never actually got one working or have videos to prove there build and require you to assemble/ position critical components. just be careful what you buy-it may be someone's trash or snake oil con jobs! we have all seen eBay ads- the "complete diy dtg guide cd for only 99.95" authored by willy wonka with there detailed resume history. Lol or the "I have these spare parts that I don't need anymore":D If your in the T-printing biz you need spare parts, if your in the selling parts biz, you don't. lol Do your homework folks get references look up domain name owners (you will usually find they own 30 other quick scam domains and or sell/sold other similar trinkets) Spend your money wisely like on popcorn and refreshments while reading the forums here to get all the info to accomplish your task.
If your a diy'er starting out and on a low budget go wood, you cant go wrong its cheap and strong! use a local carpenter if you lack the wood cutting tools/skills. still cheap!
It was a great stepping stone for those starting out, I have had several customers that started there business with diy units, and grew there business. Quite a few followed me to where im at now graduating to commercial units! thanks for the support and loyalty;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.