[DIY DTG] UFOPrinter Epson R3000 with Flashing Power/Ink Lights - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] UFOPrinter Epson R3000 with Flashing Power/Ink Lights

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 25th, 2015 Jun 25, 2015 3:03:36 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default UFOPrinter Epson R3000 with Flashing Power/Ink Lights

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I'm having some issues with my UFOPrinter Modification on an Epson R3000.

This is where I'm at: The R3000 will boot up into Roll Paper mode with the message "Roll Paper is loaded". Menu's are navigable. Everything seems to work. For about 15 seconds. Then it crashes and becomes unresponsive with both the Ink and Ready/Power light blinking. The Ink flashes orange and the Power flashes green.

See here: http://youtu.be/NcwWmCpl2cM

This is how I got there:
The mod itself went very smoothly. But it was freezing mid boot with the Ink and Ready/Power light flashing. The first thing I did was check the parts/accessories provided by David. I double checked (according to his guides) the pin connections on the drag cable, the AWG sensor wiring, swapped both sister boards he had sent, swapped both sets of ribbon cables that came with them, and undid each cable from the main board and checked its placement (were they facing the right way/seated properly?). I checked the fuses in the power supply. I gave each component a once over during boot to see that it was doing what it seemed like it should be doing. The base/platen behaves normally moving forward and backwards as it should.

I continued getting this flashing lights error sequence for a while. The upper carriage would hang shortly after the pump motor on the left hand side would run, with flashing lights. I would return it manually and lock it into place. After this I was getting some errors with the waste ink pump. I think I had damaged the gears somehow trying to lock it into place repeatedly. I ordered a replacement and installed it - No more error.

Then, I restored the EPROM provided by David with the Adjustment Utility -to get it back into Roll mode.

It booted right up into Roll Paper mode with the message Roll Paper is loaded as I described above. Great! Then it crashed after about 15 seconds with the Ink and Ready/Power light blinking.

I swapped the stock ink cartridges for my refillable aftermarket cartridges and it booted right up again, crashed again.

I reset the waste ink. Same thing.

The weird thing now is that I am getting NO errors when I check the Printer Information in the Adjustment Utility. Same with WICReset.

Does anyone have any idea of the significance of the flashing Ink and Ready/Power lights?
Any other advice or useful info?

David has been helpful and supportive but his responses are limited, and slowish because he is in a very different time zone than I am.

One more note - I have the printer connected in Windows 7 via VMware. It seems to recognize it just fine. I also have WICReset installed on the OS X side of my computer so I can check errors in both.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2015 Jun 26, 2015 11:47:26 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Default Re: UFOPrinter Epson R3000 with Flashing Power/Ink Lights

Got it sorted. It was the motherboard/main board. Replaced it and now its all working.

Also, for anyone wondering about UFOPrinter: David was very responsive and helpful. Ultimately he couldn't offer me that much help and it was sort of a slow process. Still, he is a very nice guy to deal with and offered video support and whatever info I asked for. I think that is the risk inherent in 'half-way DIY'. Its hard to determine weather the problem is in the printer you are modifying or the base you have purchased. You have to be willing to do some serious trial and error. For example: I replaced the waste ink pump after getting some related errors and in the end switched back to the original I had replaced...

A new problem is that I am getting streaky test prints. At least, there are black ink streaks where there shouldn't be. Pic below. I tried the cleaning process but they are still there...

Any ideas on that? Or can anyone point me to some useful threads that deal with this issue?

Also, I am mostly going to be printing on white tees but after I get these test prints worked out I am going to move on to figuring out pretreatment and heat curing. Any links or general advice on that would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3364.JPG (1.25 MB, 83 views)

Old June 28th, 2015 Jun 28, 2015 12:23:55 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Frank

there are lots of videos on these subjects on youtube,well as suppliers and users,, give it a go !

Old April 23rd, 2016 Apr 23, 2016 8:27:21 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Maxbobo, when you purchased the base from ufoprinter were you able to pay with Paypal? Apparently he is only accepting western union now and I don't know how I feel about that.

Old April 26th, 2016 Apr 26, 2016 9:54:20 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Dtgart.. I just got an email David at UFO printers..he will take payPal however there is an extra fee for what payPal charges for the transection ,, I think it's 4.5%

Old April 26th, 2016 Apr 26, 2016 1:18:00 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

frankdoyal05, I have already sent him the payment via wire yesterday. My bank charged me a flat $45 international wire fee but it would have only cost me $10 more if I was given the option to use PayPal as you were. I would have preferred PayPal since it would have given me some piece of mind.

I have never spoken with a "David." I have been in contact with Mr. Weihua Wang, I assume he goes by David on these forums. It is not uncommon in business to assume English sounding names.

Old April 26th, 2016 Apr 26, 2016 6:42:37 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You could be right about the name...I had some dealing with David and I find him very honest...

Old April 28th, 2016 Apr 28, 2016 5:40:59 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I received the ufoprinter base today! Wow that was fast shipping and it was packaged very well too. Everything people are saying about David is true. He replies very quickly to questions and is blunt with his responses but ultimately very helpful. I took a bunch of pictures of the unboxing that I will post soon in a build thread when I get the printer set up.

This is a discussion about UFOPrinter Epson R3000 with Flashing Power/Ink Lights that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in