[DIY DTG] Mesaprints Epson R3000 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] Mesaprints Epson R3000

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By craigcreationz

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 22nd, 2015 Jun 22, 2015 1:54:56 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Mesaprints Epson R3000

Hello all, recently purchased a budget DTG printer from Mesaprints. I have attached some early prints and wanted to get some feedback (especially of the dark shirt). My current set up, Mesaprints Epson R3000, Firebird ink/pretreatment, DTG rip pro V6 from I proof. Shirts are cheap all styles or fruit of the loom so nothing ring spun 20 singles + has been run through the machine yet.

My initial impressions of the printer are very good, especially for the price. The manufacturer recently changed from a friction drive to a belt drive running off of the paper feed motor. I have run several dark shirts through the machine and have yet to notice any alignment issues (white to color).

Take a look and let me know.

Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150617_014630.jpg (1.42 MB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg 20150622_120616.jpg (1.55 MB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg 20150622_120521.jpg (1.70 MB, 149 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2015 Oct 16, 2015 1:22:30 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Jackson

Default Re: Mesaprints Epson R3000

These prints look great... I've been considering one of these machines (or a UFO base)... curious how you like it now that you've likely printed a lot more with it?

Another question for anyone on here, why are these machines so much cheaper than even the cheapest epson-based "brand" machines?

I mean, most brand machines appear to be doing the same thing as Mesaprints, except they want at least $5000 more... and that barely gets you a years warranty and support. :/

What's missing from Mesaprints that the other guys feel compelled to charge so much for?

Old October 16th, 2015 Oct 16, 2015 1:47:31 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Brandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuush.com
These prints look great... I've been considering one of these machines (or a UFO base)... curious how you like it now that you've likely printed a lot more with it?

Another question for anyone on here, why are these machines so much cheaper than even the cheapest epson-based "brand" machines?

I mean, most brand machines appear to be doing the same thing as Mesaprints, except they want at least $5000 more... and that barely gets you a years warranty and support. :/

What's missing from Mesaprints that the other guys feel compelled to charge so much for?
They (Spectra & other businesses) did the R&D so that the smaller guys could build the cheaper machines. You also typically get 0 support, aside from maybe email, from the smaller guys. Most commercial printers need a machine that will work, day in and day out, as they don't have time to troubleshoot the cheaper machines.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using T-Shirt Forums

Old October 16th, 2015 Oct 16, 2015 8:53:11 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvprinting
They (Spectra & other businesses) did the R&D so that the smaller guys could build the cheaper machines. You also typically get 0 support, aside from maybe email, from the smaller guys. Most commercial printers need a machine that will work, day in and day out, as they don't have time to troubleshoot the cheaper machines.

I understand that to a degree, but you can get a DIY kit (with transport & platen) from Spectra themselves for $1200 (and build your own box/stand)... so what makes a $700 Epson printer, a $1000 licensed RIP (I assume) and a $1000 for a years warranty, worth the other $6000 dollars (plus freight)? Seems a bit excessive.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, and I would buy a Spectra in heartbeat if they didn't raise their price so much in the last year or two, they seems like a great company... that's why I'm asking though, is there actually anything done to the printers themselves?

I'd like to try my hand at a DIY (base), but I don't wanna find out they have serious shortcomings (like no single-pass printing, having to stand there and hit a button for every white/color pass, etc).

My GT-541 is a pretty basic machine, but the software for it pretty much sucks... so I'm not sure how much of the "white ink" feature set comes from the RIP versus the technology the "brand" companies have built into their particular product/printer.

For example, these DIY kits don't appear to have any white ink cycling features... from what i can tell, that's a pretty important feature these days.

I'm really handy, but it's difficult to get a grasp on whether DIY's are really just hobbyist machines... my production needs aren't really big enough to warrant an expensive DTG, nor am I trying to grow that big... I can fix a broken machine on my own with a little insight from the forums.

I'm just trying to find some reviews of these DIY's from people who actually use them for more than test prints.

I understand these setups aren't for big business (or newbies), but they seem quite capable for a home-based t-shirt line printing my volume... I'm just trying to grasp whether you really GET anything for the extra $5000+ the name brands are asking?

Or to put it another way, what features DON'T you get by going the DIY route? Besides support (and a metal box to put the printer on).

I'm close to pulling the trigger here.

Old October 20th, 2015 Oct 20, 2015 4:17:44 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Johnson
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

look wonderful!

Old October 20th, 2015 Oct 20, 2015 5:48:49 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Eric Deem
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Some people are very successful with a DIY printer but there are many reason why people don't go that route. Tech support, components used, RIP software, color profiling, parts, customer service, supplies and build quality all play a major role in selecting the best option for your business model. In the world of DTG it's not a matter of if you will need replacement parts...it's when! Having a strong manufacturer in your corner for when issues arise helps many people sleep better at night.

Old October 20th, 2015 Oct 20, 2015 8:09:49 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Vic

Hi.
I am the owner of Mesaprints and would like to explain why the price for our printers is considerably less.

We do not bundle RIP software nor starter inks with the printers. These are not my products and I would rather leave the customer support for them to the ones who write/ sell them. If I bundle them they become my headaches.

Our printers don't do an automatic second pass. You need to manually return the platform to the rear and push the paper out button to start the second, color pass. There are no external electronics added to allow an automatic second pass. We just reconfigure the Epson parts to move a platform. You can buy an Epson printer and have all the parts needed to maintain it. You don't need to rely on us for any proprietary parts.

Finally we are not supporting an entire organization off of this one product. We have built capitol equipment for various industries for more than 25 years.

Last edited by skydivervic; October 20th, 2015 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: Remove quote

Old October 20th, 2015 Oct 20, 2015 5:01:10 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Brandt

How is the registration with the second manual pass? Does it match up 100% of the time?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using T-Shirt Forums

Old October 21st, 2015 Oct 21, 2015 6:46:50 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Vic

Yes, the second pass registration is perfect every time.

Old March 13th, 2016 Mar 13, 2016 10:25:43 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Mike
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

how are the new printers when using dtg inks? myself and another 1430 buyer had major issues with inks leaking is this issue fixed? machine is great and i love it but cant print shirts all i print is flat objects with a coating with regular epson inks. with epson inks everything works great but with dtg inks head leaks like crazy. any solution found yet? it is time to buy a new upgraded one?

Old May 3rd, 2016 May 3, 2016 8:35:36 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedmonkey
how are the new printers when using dtg inks? myself and another 1430 buyer had major issues with inks leaking is this issue fixed? machine is great and i love it but cant print shirts all i print is flat objects with a coating with regular epson inks. with epson inks everything works great but with dtg inks head leaks like crazy. any solution found yet? it is time to buy a new upgraded one?
I think your issue is the type of cartridges that you use. because I had this issue with my epson 1430 diy dtg after I bought a cheap CISS on ebay. So I got one from MarruttUSA. Its the best. No leaks at all. I also just purchased one for my Epson P600 dtg printer.

Also I noticed people putting their CISS on top of the printer, and this may cause the ink to leak out of the print head. It should set on the same level as the printer.

Heres the links below for:

Epson 1430

Epson P600

Last edited by craigcreationz; May 3rd, 2016 at 08:59 AM..

This is a discussion about Mesaprints Epson R3000 that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in