[DIY DTG] Epson R3000 white ink clogging - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] Epson R3000 white ink clogging

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 2nd, 2015 Jun 2, 2015 1:44:17 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Kwaleeb
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Epson R3000 white ink clogging

Hi everyone,

I just finished building my Epson R3000 DTG printer with a kit I found here.

So far the platen system works great and I haven't had any issues with it. I've printed about 20 shirts so far and the white was coming through good the whole time. Now every few shirts I print, it seems the white nozzles keep getting more and more clogged the more I use it. It kept putting more and more noticeable lines in my prints so I put cleaning solution into the capping station and let it sit capped like that for a half hour, run a head cleaning and then everything prints fine again but after 2 or 3 more shirts, it does the same thing. What could be causing this? It wasn't doing this before. I thought the more ink you put through your DTG the better it is for it and the less your nozzles get clogged. Could fibers from the shirts be barely brushing on the print head and causing it to clog like that? I'm using FireBird ink, cleaning solution and pretreatment. Any ideas are appreciated because doing all these head cleanings and waiting is a waste of time and money!

Last edited by kwaleeb; June 2nd, 2015 at 07:41 PM..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 3rd, 2015 Jun 3, 2015 12:53:06 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

It's the firebird ink. Did that to 3 of my ink heads. Now I'm in a bind.

Old June 3rd, 2015 Jun 3, 2015 10:11:07 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Default Re: Epson R3000 white ink clogging

Are you sure it's the ink? Can anyone else confirm issues with Firebird ink? Before I started this whole venture, I was doing research and it seems like it came down to DuPoint and Firebird ink as the two main choices. I choose Firebird because it costs a little bit less, the Spectra 3000 (same printer) uses it and backs it, and because of this review another member did on it.

Side note, I also use a CISS instead of refillable cartridges to save the headache. The ink level was lower than the print head and cartridges but I just put it on a shelf above the printer. I'm hoping ink starvation was the only issue, but I will report back with results.

Old June 4th, 2015 Jun 4, 2015 12:08:23 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Andy
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Make sure the ink cartridges are primed correctly.

I know ones I have need you to pull ink out and push back in a few times to remove air from one of the chambers. If you don't the ink won't flow correctly.

This can easily make you think clog when it's really a flow issue.

Old June 5th, 2015 Jun 5, 2015 12:31:55 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaleeb
Are you sure it's the ink? Can anyone else confirm issues with Firebird ink? Before I started this whole venture, I was doing research and it seems like it came down to DuPoint and Firebird ink as the two main choices. I choose Firebird because it costs a little bit less, the Spectra 3000 (same printer) uses it and backs it, and because of this review another member did on it.

Side note, I also use a CISS instead of refillable cartridges to save the headache. The ink level was lower than the print head and cartridges but I just put it on a shelf above the printer. I'm hoping ink starvation was the only issue, but I will report back with results.
We actually don't use Firebird ink with our Spectra printers. We provide DuPont ink to our customers with their purchase and recommend it. It's also labeled on the bottles powered by DuPont.

My guess is the issue is being caused by the CISS. They weren't made to hold the viscosity of dtg ink especially the white ink. They were made to use Epson or after market paper ink so it could be starving of ink.

Old June 5th, 2015 Jun 5, 2015 4:19:26 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Oh, nevermind then, I thought it was Firebird ink you guys supported. I must've gotten confused because Firebird labels it's ink as compatible with the Spectra.

I did go through and re-prime the cartridges so that there are no air bubbles in the system. Also now that I've moved the CISS above the printer, it seems to be printing more consistently but it still has nozzles clogging or ink starving after 5 or so prints. But, after I do a head cleaning, it's back to normal again. If it's ink starvation, wouldn't the nozzles still not be outputting consistently even after a head cleaning? abmcdan, have you had issues with your CISS and ink delivery?

Old June 6th, 2015 Jun 6, 2015 9:26:55 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Andy

Quote:
Oh, nevermind then, I thought it was Firebird ink you guys supported. I must've gotten confused because Firebird labels it's ink as compatible with the Spectra.

I did go through and re-prime the cartridges so that there are no air bubbles in the system. Also now that I've moved the CISS above the printer, it seems to be printing more consistently but it still has nozzles clogging or ink starving after 5 or so prints. But, after I do a head cleaning, it's back to normal again. If it's ink starvation, wouldn't the nozzles still not be outputting consistently even after a head cleaning? abmcdan, have you had issues with your CISS and ink delivery?
We only include refillable cartridges and they work great.

In the past I've learned that CISS in general can cause more headaches so for new users the refillable is just easier to get them going.

As mentioned above, the CISS systems with bottles have some flaws and really should have the bottles removed and bags put on the ends.

Old June 10th, 2015 Jun 10, 2015 9:09:51 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Hmm, okay then. It seems like I should just switch to a bagged ink system instead of bottles. How do I go about doing that? Does anyone sell a bagged ink system for the R3000?

Old June 10th, 2015 Jun 10, 2015 9:18:23 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Just remove the tubes from the bottles and attach the bags

Old June 10th, 2015 Jun 10, 2015 9:20:41 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Do the bagged systems have big enough tubes? If everyone says that CISS aren't meant for DTG ink, wouldn't that mean I need bigger tubes going to the cartridges themselves?

Old June 11th, 2015 Jun 11, 2015 3:25:15 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Boguslaw
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Do the bagged systems have big enough tubes? If everyone says that CISS aren't meant for DTG ink, wouldn't that mean I need bigger tubes going to the cartridges themselves?
Tubes should be about 1.5 mm inner diamter so standard Ciss tubing should be fine. The big problem with ciss is that introduces air and also messed up the ink feed pressure.

Old June 11th, 2015 Jun 11, 2015 4:56:32 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Make sure that the humidity levels is above 60% and the ink will even flow better. I have a MP10i and when the humidity level was 40's to 50's I noticed the white inks would clog with in a day to 2. I went out and bought another whole home humidifier and bumped the humidity levels up to 70% and the machine runs perfect. No clogging, no problems. And I leave it sit for 4 to 5 days at a time. Just make sure that you shake the white inks once a day.

Old June 11th, 2015 Jun 11, 2015 9:52:11 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkst23
Make sure that the humidity levels is above 60% and the ink will even flow better. I have a MP10i and when the humidity level was 40's to 50's I noticed the white inks would clog with in a day to 2. I went out and bought another whole home humidifier and bumped the humidity levels up to 70% and the machine runs perfect. No clogging, no problems. And I leave it sit for 4 to 5 days at a time. Just make sure that you shake the white inks once a day.
An MP10i is built differently and uses different print heads. With the 3000 model you only need to have your humidity at 50% and temperatures at mid 70s. You must keep the environment like this 24 hours a day 7 days a week as long as ink is in the printer. Humidity in levels above 60% can slowly create corrosion on metal parts especially on circuitry over time.

Old June 11th, 2015 Jun 11, 2015 11:36:34 PM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Marcel

Just build yourself WIMS easy as that if you can mod your R3000 you can also build the White ink circulation system.
I,am running my white ink system now for over 2 months without any problem, no more clogged print head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_VFgm0H8Wo

Last edited by zamorasf; June 12th, 2015 at 12:33 AM..

Old June 12th, 2015 Jun 12, 2015 12:42:03 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Marcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamorasf
Just build yourself WIMS easy as that if you can mod your R3000 you can also build the White ink circulation system.
I,am running my white ink system now for over 2 months without any problem, no more clogged print head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_VFgm0H8Wo
Its easy

This is a discussion about Epson R3000 white ink clogging that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in