[DIY DTG] Ufo 3880 diy dtg - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] Ufo 3880 diy dtg

Like Tree10Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old November 16th, 2014 Nov 16, 2014 11:29:31 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Ufo 3880 diy dtg

I finished my conversion to the 3880 with David's "UFOPRINTER" conversion videos. I have to say it prints really nice. The printer moves really smooth. I'm still doing test prints, but have to say it's really impressive. The conversion could easily be done in one afternoon but with work still not allowing me time, it took me a little longer.

I was hoping for a nice challenge when I started this project and kept hearing it would be hard to do and how people have tried it with no luck, but have to say it really wasn't no challenge at all. It was quite simple if you ask me. His videos were simple to understand and never ran into any problems.

I plan on writing a more formal review later and have a second 3880 I'm plan on documenting the process so it might help others. I can say, any questions I had David always responded quick and there was never a language barrier problem.
jgabby and blingit like this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to killroy For This Useful Post:
alin3117 (November 17th, 2014), blingit (November 18th, 2014), quickflicks (November 19th, 2014), Smalzstein (November 16th, 2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 18th, 2014 Nov 18, 2014 6:48:53 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: erik

Default Re: Ufo 3880 diy dtg

It is nice to hear that it works out well, because I bought also a printer bed from UFO.
David told me that he schip it out in the middle of this week.
Monday I get 2 Epson r3000 printers.
Can not wait to start.
Thanks for your info

Old November 25th, 2014 Nov 25, 2014 11:01:46 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Hi

I am also interested in the UFO printer kits. Is the conversion video for the 3880 the same as for the R2000 shown in YouTube?

Are you planning to do just DTG or UV, too?

I am wondering if it would be possible to use the same printer for DTG and UV, with separate CISS/cartridges and flushing the ink when switching jobs...

Thanks!

Old November 27th, 2014 Nov 27, 2014 7:44:51 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari2600
Hi

I am also interested in the UFO printer kits. Is the conversion video for the 3880 the same as for the R2000 shown in YouTube?

Are you planning to do just DTG or UV, too?

I am wondering if it would be possible to use the same printer for DTG and UV, with separate CISS/cartridges and flushing the ink when switching jobs...

Thanks!
I couldn't tell you if the conversion is the same on the R2000. I'm sure they are similar in certain ways, but I wouldn't rely on the step by step videos. If you buy the base from David you'll get the videos.
I'm sticking with DTG right now. If I was going to do UV & DTG I would set up 2 printers. I've only had the time to research the DTG side of things. Before I put any UV inks in I would make sure they are safe for your setup. I wouldn't assume nothing!!

Old November 27th, 2014 Nov 27, 2014 7:51:57 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by blingit
It is nice to hear that it works out well, because I bought also a printer bed from UFO.
David told me that he schip it out in the middle of this week.
Monday I get 2 Epson r3000 printers.
Can not wait to start.
Thanks for your info
If your using the moving printer setup make sure you check your belt tension. A loose belt can cause some back lash in 720x720. Also check your corners to make sure they are flush. It would also be a good idea to check the entire top. I bought a piece of glass to go on top.
dpanta1967 likes this.

Last edited by killroy; November 27th, 2014 at 08:01 AM..

The Following User Says Thank You to killroy For This Useful Post:
blingit (November 28th, 2014)
Old November 28th, 2014 Nov 28, 2014 5:16:30 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: erik

Yesterday I made the whole conversion but I didn't print yet. Now I am to busy but I hope I can start Monday to put ink in and start printing orders.

Old December 11th, 2014 Dec 11, 2014 12:48:03 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I'd like to know if the registration is exact on the ufo drive tables - or is there a bit of distortion in the actual print ?

Old December 11th, 2014 Dec 11, 2014 6:03:27 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by killroy
I finished my conversion to the 3880 with David's "UFOPRINTER" conversion videos. I have to say it prints really nice. The printer moves really smooth. I'm still doing test prints, but have to say it's really impressive. The conversion could easily be done in one afternoon but with work still not allowing me time, it took me a little longer.

I was hoping for a nice challenge when I started this project and kept hearing it would be hard to do and how people have tried it with no luck, but have to say it really wasn't no challenge at all. It was quite simple if you ask me. His videos were simple to understand and never ran into any problems.

I plan on writing a more formal review later and have a second 3880 I'm plan on documenting the process so it might help others. I can say, any questions I had David always responded quick and there was never a language barrier problem.
I finished mine this week also, and I am so pleased with the printing samples I have done. I am waiting on my inks now and cant wait to start! Thank you Dave! UFO printers are well worth it folks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpanta1967 For This Useful Post:
gullprint (May 3rd, 2017), killroy (December 11th, 2014)
Old December 11th, 2014 Dec 11, 2014 9:51:28 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

David has been a real pleasure to work with. He's been the same way before and after the Sale. You can tell he's just not in it for the money. Dealing straight with the manufacturer has it's perks. All the electronics can be upgraded. Great thing about this is you'll never spend more than the replacement cost of your printer to get it back into production. No other DTG dealer can offer you that. Having a spare printer ready to go gives you such a huge advantage over the traditional DTG route. How many customers have been lost waiting for replacement parts or a technician to arrive. With this option your back up and running in an hour. That alone is worth it. Once your done with your conversion you fully understand what's underneath the hood. Fixing the one that went down can be done on your time, not the customer's.

Old December 17th, 2014 Dec 17, 2014 5:44:33 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

also have the UFo 3880 kit and have to say it's great. also great support from David.

Old December 17th, 2014 Dec 17, 2014 4:04:22 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

The stepper in the kit is programmed to move the bed instead of the original pf motor . I want to know if a 4 inch circle drawing is printed , will it actually come out as a 4 inch circle on the UFO bed/printhead or will it come out a small bit distorted. It wouldnt matter much on a tee but if your were doing something special like over printing a circuit board. How accurate is the stepper movement on the bed ? ballpark or exact to a gnats toenail ?

Last edited by tipgypsy; December 17th, 2014 at 04:30 PM..

Old December 17th, 2014 Dec 17, 2014 4:39:49 PM -   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

that is a good question i never actually tested that

Old December 17th, 2014 Dec 17, 2014 6:15:58 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

When I first set up printer to flatbed, I used a pair of calibers to measure how accurate the print was, thinking I was going to have to adjust, but it was spot on. I don't see why a 4" circle would be a problem.
tipgypsy likes this.

Old January 11th, 2015 Jan 11, 2015 12:50:01 PM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I ran a couple campaigns over the Holidays and Happy to say everything went very smoothly. I'm officially entering 2015 with a paid off DTG printer. The one thing that kept me looking into the UFO 3880 base was what happens when my printer goes down?? I didn't like the fact that I would be a the Mercy of the dealer. Waiting on a service tech or parts was a major downfall going the traditional route. Knowing I can enter the work day with that peace of mind is reliving. DTG is finally moving in the right direction. 2015 will reveal many great things for the consumer. Before it seemed like it was a dealer market instead of a consumer market. I've been following DTG since it was first introduced and have to say by far this is the best option I've come across.

Old January 11th, 2015 Jan 11, 2015 2:19:46 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Can you post a few pictures of your conversion on his Base - Id love to see a test print with some good detail.

This is a discussion about Ufo 3880 diy dtg that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in