[DIY DTG] Ufo 3880 diy dtg - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] Ufo 3880 diy dtg

Like Tree10Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 12th, 2015 Jan 12, 2015 3:43:44 PM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ufo 3880 diy dtg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipgypsy
Can you post a few pictures of your conversion on his Base - Id love to see a test print with some good detail.
Here's a couple pics. I took the cover off the front and put it on top of the main board and power supply instead of the original. I used Velcro so I could get to it easier. I also cut the plastic over the print head for easier cleaning. Also I cut a slot on the side where you manually disengage the print head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg closeup print.JPG (157.5 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (1.70 MB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg photo1.JPG (1.26 MB, 358 views)
File Type: jpg photo4.JPG (544.7 KB, 409 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to killroy For This Useful Post:
p000ya (January 13th, 2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2015 Jan 16, 2015 8:21:16 PM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

show the white ink only on a black shirt and what rip do you have?

Old January 20th, 2015 Jan 20, 2015 9:49:46 AM -   #18 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Nick

Hi Killroy..

I finished with my printers modification and i received today mt dtg ink plus pretreatment (dupont).
I did some test prints on white tees and the prints came out excellent, but....
On dark tees the results are disappointing.
No matter what i do the white base comes out faded and not vivid. So when the colors come the print is dark and with no contrast.

Are there any Ekrip settings you have tested that produce a good result ? and also when printing on a black tshirt is there an option that will stop the black color from printing so that the black color from the tshirt can be seen?

Thank you in advance

Old January 20th, 2015 Jan 20, 2015 11:40:32 AM -   #19 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Boguslaw
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

EK print really does poor job on 3880. WhiteRIP does a lot better job.

Old January 20th, 2015 Jan 20, 2015 2:24:53 PM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriathen
Hi Killroy..

I finished with my printers modification and i received today mt dtg ink plus pretreatment (dupont).
I did some test prints on white tees and the prints came out excellent, but....
On dark tees the results are disappointing.
No matter what i do the white base comes out faded and not vivid. So when the colors come the print is dark and with no contrast.

Are there any Ekrip settings you have tested that produce a good result ? and also when printing on a black tshirt is there an option that will stop the black color from printing so that the black color from the tshirt can be seen?

Thank you in advance
Make sure you have the drivers setup correctly. There's a big difference in saturation with default vs the one's that are supplied. Here's a video that you can check to see if you set them up properly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md_pALaKTTY You shouldn't have any problems with white saturation.

In white settings "image background", check "select color" and pick whatever color you don't want it to print.

Old January 21st, 2015 Jan 21, 2015 10:50:41 AM -   #21 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You need to remove the black color in your graphics to keep the black color from the t-shirt. This can be done very easy if your graphics are in vector format and you can edit it in Corel Draw or such software
Just keep the contour line and use no color as fill

Old January 22nd, 2015 Jan 22, 2015 8:29:07 AM -   #22 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: clive

Hi it was originaly with arduino everything is compleat my code ignores the optical encoder signal until the bed is set backward ready to print then the encoder becomes active.
I will pm you to discuss more on this if your intrested.
Kind regards Clive.

Old January 22nd, 2015 Jan 22, 2015 11:35:53 AM -   #23 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Hi to all...

today i did the last modifications and printed the 1st order of 4 white tees for a customer.. He was used to plastic flex materials so he was blown away. Later i did some dark ones and i must say that the correct procedure regarding pretreatment is not easy since i fell apon many different tutorials in youtube and i believe that getting the same print result each time will not be easy without a pretreatment machine!

Regarding the Ufo base after a week use i can say that modifing / developing a better tee base or a platform that can accomodate different templates is a must. Regarding problems right now i have only 2.

1. My ekrip keeps prossecing data even after teh printer has finished printing and i can't click in it while processing cause it crashes .
2. If i choose only white or all white channels print ...no matter what button i press in the base to get the printer ready .... the printer starts to print and stays idle with the light blicking..

If somebody has a sollution at least for 2 please share.

Best regards

Old January 22nd, 2015 Jan 22, 2015 1:16:17 PM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Brandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriathen
Hi to all...

today i did the last modifications and printed the 1st order of 4 white tees for a customer.. He was used to plastic flex materials so he was blown away. Later i did some dark ones and i must say that the correct procedure regarding pretreatment is not easy since i fell apon many different tutorials in youtube and i believe that getting the same print result each time will not be easy without a pretreatment machine!

Regarding the Ufo base after a week use i can say that modifing / developing a better tee base or a platform that can accomodate different templates is a must. Regarding problems right now i have only 2.

1. My ekrip keeps prossecing data even after teh printer has finished printing and i can't click in it while processing cause it crashes .
2. If i choose only white or all white channels print ...no matter what button i press in the base to get the printer ready .... the printer starts to print and stays idle with the light blicking..

Best regards
For pretreatment, this is what I did for great results.
  • I hung up the shirt in another area away from the DTG.
  • Using a powersprayer, I sprayed the pretreatment on the front of the shirt
  • I placed the shirt on a flat area and used one of those small roller foam things to spread the pretreatment
  • I pressed the shirt in my heat press (I forget how long)

I attached two shirts I did a while back with my Kiosk II DTG.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0952-1.jpg (479.9 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1090-1.jpg (524.4 KB, 147 views)

Old January 22nd, 2015 Jan 22, 2015 3:18:05 PM -   #25 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Best regards[/QUOTE]

"1. My ekrip keeps prossecing data even after the printer has finished printing and i can't click in it while processing cause it crashes ."

Did you look over video I posted about EK? Mine did this in the beginning. After I set the drivers up correctly and set up appropriate permissions it processes as quick as I can print.

Your not going to choose "white" or "all white channels", select graphic or any other setting and enable white underbase and set ink level "0" and set "high light level control" to 100%. By selecting ink level "0" your telling printer not to print white underbase and only print high lights or white only. You will not click black t-shirt button. You'll still hit white button. Black button is only for second automatic pass.

Old January 22nd, 2015 Jan 22, 2015 3:39:32 PM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Also when printing underbase with CMYK on top make sure you set the delay time for second pass correctly. If left at 0 you'll get error message. You need enough delay time so you'll printer can get back to the ready position.

Old January 22nd, 2015 Jan 22, 2015 11:54:44 PM -   #27 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can also put "none" on your ink level in the printer setup box. Check white ink underbase. On the white underbase click the default tab and adjusted accordingly. You can get good saturation of white this way. You'll need to click preview to see an example to the left.

Old January 23rd, 2015 Jan 23, 2015 1:56:04 PM -   #28 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Thanks to your info i did today sime succesfull prints with only white ink and white underbase and color ...

Feeling sure i decided to print and order for a customer.
I did some white ones that came out great:
IMG_0109.JPG

and 1 grey.
After the print the white color was very good and the colors were nice
N71_1216.jpg
That till i heat pressed it light pressure 165c 100s according to my ink and pretreatment sales man
This was the result!
N71_1215.jpg

I am sure i have been given wrong info regarding heat settings or time i did also a test with less time and the result was the same .
I have noticed also that the faded contrast happens only on black color over white underbase.

I did an extra test print with white level set to 1 and oppacity contrast set to 10 and this is the result N71_1220.jpg

Apart from the issues entioned above (that are ink, heat, pretreatment related i believe)
I have also pinpointed the following base problems:

1. The black button on the base control is not working correctly!
According to David from Ufo Company when the black button is pressed the base is auto set to ready position 2 times , one fro white underbase and automatically after it finishes for color print.
when i press the black button the printer starts printing white color and when it finishes it returns to the back position, but right away it moves to the front and i get a load paper error. In order to print correctly i have to press the blue button and right away the white to be in time (60sec delay) in order to print color!

2. If i send a picture to print and when it finishes (without closing my file in Ekprint and without moving the tshirt from base) send it again the printing is not happening at the sam point producing a misplaced image!

N71_1223.jpg

In my opinion this can be either base or rip related.
If somebody had the same problems please share...
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N71_1214.jpg (293.8 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg N71_1222.jpg (322.5 KB, 119 views)

Old January 23rd, 2015 Jan 23, 2015 2:51:25 PM -   #29 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

1. The black button on the base control is not working correctly!
According to David from Ufo Company when the black button is pressed the base is auto set to ready position 2 times , one fro white underbase and automatically after it finishes for color print.
when i press the black button the printer starts printing white color and when it finishes it returns to the back position, but right away it moves to the front and i get a load paper error. In order to print correctly i have to press the blue button and right away the white to be in time (60sec delay) in order to print color!

If your hitting the black and it's returning to the ready position than it's working OK. Your problem is with your delay time. Just for testing put it at 120 seconds. The delay time starts as soon as you hear the printer move. If the printer isn't in the ready position than it will throw a paper error. You can shorten the delay after testing. I've had my delay time as much as 80-90 seconds depending on the design and resolution. Also once you press the black button leave it alone.

Last edited by killroy; January 23rd, 2015 at 02:58 PM..

Old January 23rd, 2015 Jan 23, 2015 3:36:12 PM -   #30 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

2. If i send a picture to print and when it finishes (without closing my file in Ekprint and without moving the tshirt from base) send it again the printing is not happening at the sam point producing a misplaced image!

You shouldn't have to send it back to print with white only. Adjust saturation accordingly. If your having to stop printer with blue button or any button than it's interrupting the print process. Anytime your printing second pass don't interrupt print process. This could be the reason for registration problem. Set delay time correctly and retest.

Looking at the picture your pretreatment process isn't correct. Your fibers should lay flat. Apply more pretreatment and add a little pressure.

This is a discussion about Ufo 3880 diy dtg that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in