T-Shirt Forums banner

Made my own DTG Printer for $150

[DIY DTG] 
1M views 3K replies 673 participants last post by  trackvw 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have been watching all the different forums on making a DTG printer and finally decided to post my discovery here.
I have made a DTG printer using an epson c88 $89.00 printer. I have maybe 150.00 in the equipment and supplies including the bulk ink system.

No, I cannot print white ink but I think this is a start for an affordable DTG printer.

Anyone who would like to help me improve the setup I made, I will be glad to help as long as everyone has an open mind and understands I'm NOT making these to sell, just to help so everyone can have an affordable DTG solution, and the agreement is that your discoveries can also be shared with me and everyone and not to be sold.

I will be posting a video on a website soon so everyone can see it is for real.
I will accept any feedback or suggestions being negative or positive.

Just wanted to see what kind of response I get before giving more info on the subject.
Thanks,
T

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3iOuKzhUlQ[/media]

Added by Rodney on July 20, 2009:

Adding these quick links to answers to common questions asked in this very long thread :)

Q: Where is the first set of plans?

A: Here's the PDF link

Q: Where's the second set of plans?

A: Here's the PDF link

Q: Has anybody actually successfully made their own DTG printer that prints using these plans?

A: Yes :)

Q: Where can I find more resources for building my own DTG?

A: Read here: http://www.t-shirtforums.com/diy-dtg/t63379.html

A: Post your question in the diydtg section here at t-shirtforums.

See less See more
#7 ·
I have been watching all the different forums on making a DTG printer and finally decided to post my discovery here.
I have made a DTG printer using an epson c88 $89.00 printer. I have maybe 150.00 in the equipment and supplies including the bulk ink system.

No, I cannot print white ink but I think this is a start for an affordable DTG printer.

Anyone who would like to help me improve the setup I made, I will be glad to help as long as everyone has an open mind and understands I'm NOT making these to sell, just to help so everyone can have an affordable DTG solution, and the agreement is that your discoveries can also be shared with me and everyone and not to be sold.

I will be posting a video on a website soon so everyone can see it is for real.
I will accept any feedback or suggestions being negative or positive.

Just wanted to see what kind of response I get before giving more info on the subject.
Thanks,
T
this sounds like the best thing since light bread. can't wait excited keep it moving. and good luck

#16 ·
Ok guys... Since I have only received 1 negative and about 20 positives I will post the video TODAY! This is the 1st one so it is ugly but it works. I am going to work on perfecting it later on this week.(I have a real job too)

I can answer a few questions first.....

1) I only used the parts from the printer and wood for the frame and table. I didn't use any type of tray or stepper motor and you can see in the video just
some wood working and thinking about how the printer works normally.

2) I am using bulk epson ink and after setting it with a heat press and washing it it looks just the same as it did while printing.

3) Once you take the printer apart it cannot be put back together and taken back to walmart! So If it doesn't work for you, plan on losing the money put in it, since I cannot promise you have the skills to build it and make it work.

4) the hard part is lining everthing up while building it, but the one in the video is the first one and everthing isn't perfectly straight.

5) It isn't perfect! Yet... But with everyones help I feel it can be!

Hold on tight because I couldn't believe it worked also! but when this makes it out, I'll either be sued or the price of the DTG printers will drop(Hopefully the price comes down)

Thanks to everyone with the positive comments!
I will post the link here Today Sunday Nov 11th. 2007!
T

#24 ·
Now I have question for the ones who have purchased the high dollar ones if they care to help.
I have read you need to pre-treat the shirts....1- Why? and what does it do? 2 - What is the pre-treatment made from?

I have only washed a couple of shirts that I printed and they look as good as they time I printed them.
I am heat pressing them with my t-shirt press to "set" the ink.

Next thing is the colors do look slightly fadded from a printed piece of paper.
I wonder if I could purchase the ink from a maunfacture of a DTG to improve the fadding or would the pre-treatment fix it?

Maybe someone could be nice and help with this.
Thanks!

#28 ·
I have read you need to pre-treat the shirts....1- Why? and what does it do? 2 - What is the pre-treatment made from?
Pretreatment only comes into play for the most part when you are printing white ink. There is a new pretreatment that is used for just printing CMYK. The basic job of the pretreatment is to keep the ink on the top of the shirt. This is needed when you are printing white ink on a dark color garment because the white ink will settle into the fibers of the shirt and the dark color of the garment will come through the white ink.

Can I ask what type of ink you are using? Is it a dtg-type ink or is it a pigment / dye based ink? That could affect the washability of the shirt as well.

Next thing is the colors do look slightly fadded from a printed piece of paper. I wonder if I could purchase the ink from a maunfacture of a DTG to improve the fadding or would the pre-treatment fix it?
The profiles for paper is much more different than printing on to fabric. So, getting an ICC profile for it would be needed. If you wanted to print white ink (which is not possible with a C-88 because it only has 4 channels), you would need to get a RIP.

Hope these answers help you in your experiment. Nice job.

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.