[DIY DTG] Made my own DTG Printer for $150 - Page 5 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] Made my own DTG Printer for $150

Like Tree23Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old November 12th, 2007 Nov 12, 2007 2:54:13 PM -   #61 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Dan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Made my own DTG Printer for $150

T
Your ink shipped today and I also sent you some cleaning solution and I strongly recommend flushing those Epson inks out of your printer before adding the DTGInks. They make a Bulk ink system for the C88/Sublimation so maybe you could locate one of those to add to your system
"YODan"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2007 Nov 12, 2007 2:57:47 PM -   #62 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
WOW, it seems that this topic is becoming one of the hottest latelly...
As a developer, I do feel compeled to warn everyone to be realistic as to what this is and what can be expected from it at least in the short-term. If you buy a set of plans for $100 then spend $200 building it, and it either doesn't work because you didn't build it correctly (imagine that) or doesn't yield the results you expected... don't go screaming about it. To quote a certain well-known figure in the industry "it is what it is and it does what it does".

[edit]After reading my post, I found that it can come off kinda negative. I certainly don't mean to sound discouraging or negative to wards the endeavor. Quite the contrary... I think it's cool and will be watching intently. [end edit];

-- Fred

Last edited by FredP; November 12th, 2007 at 05:25 PM..

Old November 12th, 2007 Nov 12, 2007 4:02:24 PM -   #63 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: T

Smile Re: Made my own DTG Printer for $150

Thanks Dan....I have an extra bulk system to try for your inks. I will be calling you sometime this week to discuss my next idea and I think you could help with the ink part....but for now I do appreciate your contribution and I will compensate you some how for the help you are providing.

Fred you put it very well....I can draw up these plans to a T (pardon the punn) but not everyone can build it and get it to work correctly or work at all. I understand your point and I hope other will as well, it wasn't easy and took alot of @!#[email protected]! words until the first shirt was printed, but I feel great about my accomplishment and not spending alot of money. But you are right "it is what it is and does what it does".

Granted it is a $89.00 printer and It may not print as good as a $15,000 model but it could be the first step to make a printer that will yield good results for the least amount of money, And make some cool shirts for my kids!

I do feel if It is massed produced as a printer you could purchase at the local office store, reguardless of the results not being perfect, it would be on most Mom & Dad's Christmas List.

Old November 12th, 2007 Nov 12, 2007 5:11:58 PM -   #64 (permalink)
ej
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Ellyn

Reminds me of the TJet...it runs on an Epson. We have one and it doesn't work here in the Utah mountains...has alot to do with the bulk ink system...either the ink runs all over the place or no ink at all...other people here have had alot of problems. Now make one with cartridges!!! Its still neat, you are an inventor, keep at it!

Old November 12th, 2007 Nov 12, 2007 5:19:29 PM -   #65 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Bruce

Wow! I am very interested in how you did this and the sooner you can post plans or info on how I can purchase plans the better. This is huge!

Old November 12th, 2007 Nov 12, 2007 5:52:10 PM -   #66 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by makemygraphix
I do feel if It is massed produced as a printer you could purchase at the local office store, reguardless of the results not being perfect, it would be on most Mom & Dad's Christmas List.
Absolutely. Very similar to a comment I made on the phone earlier today to a colleague. This may not be the "print 1000 shirts a month" type device, but as an "occasional use" type device it would be good. Just a few shirts a year. Company BBQ shirts, holiday-picture shirts for the family, etc. etc.

-- Fred

Old November 12th, 2007 Nov 12, 2007 5:54:38 PM -   #67 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: raub

eagerly awaiting ...
my jaw dropped when i saw that video! omg.
brilliant!

Old November 12th, 2007 Nov 12, 2007 6:21:03 PM -   #68 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

very nice...Inspiring even. Keep up the excellent work!!

Old November 12th, 2007 Nov 12, 2007 6:31:32 PM -   #69 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredP
This may not be the "print 1000 shirts a month" type device, but as an "occasional use" type device it would be good.
For a lot of people, the C88 is basically a disposable printer. Run it for all it's worth for however long it lasts, when it konks out, toss it and buy another. At this price, this could serve the same function for DTG. Run 2 or 3 simultaneously with a couple of backups and I don't see why you couldn't achieve some respectable production numbers.

Old November 13th, 2007 Nov 13, 2007 5:53:25 AM -   #70 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I like the fact that someone has the ingenuity to create this. But we ( as businesses) should look at this in a good way and bad way.
How many out there think that if a printer like this, at a relatively LOW cost would be mass produced? most definitely. Dont you think that would effect the local business, as more homes would have printers like this and less and less people would come to "our" shops and buy the 24-48 pieces for the family events, birthday parties, etc?
I think what kind of sets the DTG market to a professional avenue is the cost.
(printers, ink, etc)

Now if I could only find one that works??? lol

Old November 13th, 2007 Nov 13, 2007 5:55:28 AM -   #71 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Run 2 or 3 simultaneously with a couple of backups and I don't see why you couldn't achieve some respectable production numbers.

Three Volkswagen Rabbits don't equal one Ferrari.

[edit]Again, not meant as a put-down... but that's the kind of thinking I warned about in my previous email.[end edit]

-- Fred

Last edited by FredP; November 13th, 2007 at 06:15 AM..

Old November 13th, 2007 Nov 13, 2007 6:32:46 AM -   #72 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJeff
For a lot of people, the C88 is basically a disposable printer. Run it for all it's worth for however long it lasts, when it konks out, toss it and buy another. At this price, this could serve the same function for DTG. Run 2 or 3 simultaneously with a couple of backups and I don't see why you couldn't achieve some respectable production numbers.
An engineering perspective:

Your right about the c88 being disposable, but after you actually put the effort and time to make this modification you may not be so willing to just toss it out. Trust me on that one.
We understand exactly what it takes to accomplish this task, for reference I included an old c67 that we mocked up to evaluate. As you can see it’s put together with wood, and duck tape.
I can tell you that even this took many, many hours of work and we knew it would only be stable for a very short time. If someone wants to try the DIY approach to DTG printers I would suggest that they do so as a hobby type project and not thinking of supporting a business venture.

If I turned this old c67 on today I would expect it to lock up and bind. The possibility of this approach would ever become stable for day-to-day use is extremely remote, however because it took so much effort to build it is in no way disposable, but more of a museum piece.
In order for these systems to work on a day-to-day basis the mechanical tolerances must be stable over temperature and humidity variations and not change dimensionally, warp or flex. This simply cannot be built in this fashion unless you’re a very, very, very patient person and enjoy tinkering.
A system built without the mentioned considerations will require a great amount of patience and tinkering to use on a daily basis.

For an analogy I could have posted that I made this flatbed for $149.00 (sorry I had to undercut you by $1.00) but that would be quite miss-leading to think that this would be practical.

I like to see and encourage creativity but there is a reality to making something practical that you can turn on every day and get repeatable results without it being a science fair project everyday.

Best regards,

Mark,
BelQuette Inc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0690.JPG (129.4 KB, 1451 views)

Old November 13th, 2007 Nov 13, 2007 6:42:40 AM -   #73 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: ernesto

t

i watch the video is amazing....i hope someone can give you a little push for this project keep up the good job.....

Old November 13th, 2007 Nov 13, 2007 10:03:57 AM -   #74 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I say if you like experimenting than GO FOR IT! You have nothing to loose and everything to gain. I think your experiment here is mega cool.

Old November 13th, 2007 Nov 13, 2007 10:22:35 AM -   #75 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jerid
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,121 Times in 788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSW2005
How many out there think that if a printer like this, at a relatively LOW cost would be mass produced? most definitely. Dont you think that would effect the local business, as more homes would have printers like this and less and less people would come to "our" shops and buy the 24-48 pieces for the family events, birthday parties, etc?
This is so true. Being in the retail/manufacturing end of things, I can honestly say, if you underprice anything, you make it too affordable for people. If something like this was on the market for $300 - $500, it would literally put so many screen printing shops out of business. How many orders have you received that were in the $300 - $500 range? Most people, if they have access to something this inexpensive and they don't have to learn the ropes of screen printing, would spend the money the first time around to buy a machine and then do all theirs from here on out.

Pricing being around $15K for smaller units, does not put people out of business. It makes it more difficult for the average company to buy a machine, but it also gives those same companies a goal to reach if they are going for a machine like this.

Also, seeing the problems that exist with current DTG printers, I highly suspect, a small unit like this would have even more issues overall. Mark mentioned some of the things that these kind of machines need in an engineering sense and without all the "extras" needed to make these work, I'm sure there would be more downtime than the average DTG printer.

It is cool to see and I've thought about doing something similar from time to time. Then I come to my senses and figure I'll leave it for the big boys.

This is a discussion about Made my own DTG Printer for $150 that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in