T-Shirt Forums banner

Made my own DTG Printer for $150

[DIY DTG] 
1M views 3K replies 673 participants last post by  trackvw 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have been watching all the different forums on making a DTG printer and finally decided to post my discovery here.
I have made a DTG printer using an epson c88 $89.00 printer. I have maybe 150.00 in the equipment and supplies including the bulk ink system.

No, I cannot print white ink but I think this is a start for an affordable DTG printer.

Anyone who would like to help me improve the setup I made, I will be glad to help as long as everyone has an open mind and understands I'm NOT making these to sell, just to help so everyone can have an affordable DTG solution, and the agreement is that your discoveries can also be shared with me and everyone and not to be sold.

I will be posting a video on a website soon so everyone can see it is for real.
I will accept any feedback or suggestions being negative or positive.

Just wanted to see what kind of response I get before giving more info on the subject.
Thanks,
T

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3iOuKzhUlQ[/media]

Added by Rodney on July 20, 2009:

Adding these quick links to answers to common questions asked in this very long thread :)

Q: Where is the first set of plans?

A: Here's the PDF link

Q: Where's the second set of plans?

A: Here's the PDF link

Q: Has anybody actually successfully made their own DTG printer that prints using these plans?

A: Yes :)

Q: Where can I find more resources for building my own DTG?

A: Read here: http://www.t-shirtforums.com/diy-dtg/t63379.html

A: Post your question in the diydtg section here at t-shirtforums.

See less See more
#93 ·
Well I have to say Congrats. We have been messing around with this for some time now. The only reason we did not give up is because I had a mechanical engineer on my side. He just thinks I am nuts though. I am glad you are going to help me prove him wrong! Congrats again and I can't wait for the plans! Also, Check out the yahoo group I created for the same purpose of sharing these ideas of how to build a dtg. I created it back in October...but never really let many people know about it. Maybe it will be of some use. homemade_dtg : Homemade_DTG Direct to Garment Printer

#95 ·

The video has been posted right? Or are you waiting for another.

Anyway, this would be great for someone like me that has to take time out to make "sample" shirts for screen printing jobs. I'm sure the quality will not be the same but it can give customers an idea of what their shirt will look like.

#97 ·
Well, I guess that depends on which printer you're talking about. There are Kias and there are Ferarris (ok, maybe Porches). With the exception of the Brother and the Kornit, I'm intimately familiar with all of them.

The challenges faced by a home-built unit will be the same as the commercial ones. Those who expect them to perform the same are simply kidding themselves. Is it a worthwhile enterprise? In my opinion, yes it is. Will building few of these yield the same production as one of the commercial units? No. But it doesn't have to, it's a home-build project... The "Heathkit" version of the direct-to-garment realm, if you will. Just be realistic about your expectations, that's all I'm saying.

-- Fred

#98 ·
Great work! But I have a couple of questions.

1) Epson does not sell "bulk ink" (that I'm aware of) so are you just using a generic pigment ink?
2) As far as the washability, if you are using the same ink as would be used in a traditional inkjet transfer, why would your method fade any less than an inkjet transfer? Inkjet transfers fade considerably after washing. Yet you say that your image did not fade after washing. Why does your's not fade when everybody else's using similar ink does?
3) I always assumed that the DTG printheads were specifically made to accommodate the DTG inks which are thicker. Are you expecting to be able to run DTG inks through a C88 printhead?

#102 ·
First off, nice job! I've been looking through the various forums on this topic, and have been stripping down some inkjets to learn how to approach my attempt- but it looks like you've beaten me & the other DIYers to it!

Second, I think I have a way to print on darks utilizing a system like yours. B u t . . . I'm kinda waiting on seeing those plans before I put forth the suggestion. :cool:

Hope your further experimentation goes well. I hope, too, that this will be just the beginning of information sharing between DIY-DTG makers! Thanks!

#103 ·
I had a good talk with this DIY inventor this evening. He seems like a pretty bright guy. The one thing that we talked about was realistic expectations of the people that purchase these plans. This concept is great and the machine (via the plans) could be even better than sliced bread. At a minimum, there will be the same inherent problems that the other Epson-based dtg machines have and there is a chance that there could be more.

I think anyone that wants to print white ink on a machine like this, might be unrealistic. Let's look past all the issues that were discussed by some of the dtg manufacturers that already post here (working with Epson computer boards,...). The accuracy needed to get the registration to match up exactly right for the second pass will not be easy. In addition, several dtg manufacturers have tried to print white ink without a RIP and have not been successful. So, the cost of a software solution would be close to a $1000 by itself.

I look at this just like any other kit-type project. Some people will be able to master it and make a huge ROI. Others, might not be able to make it work at all. Then, there will be a group of people in the middle that do okay with it. (Sounds kinda like the existing dtg market without as much of a buy-in). You are probably going to have to be better at resolving your problems, go beyond the traditional maintenance steps and might even need to have some luck. If you go into this (or any other kit-type project) with this perspective... you should be in a good place.

T, keep the progress going and let me know if there is anything that I can do. Stay in touch. Best wishes.

Mark

#104 ·
The accuracy needed to get the registration to match up exactly right for the second pass will not be easy.
That does sound daunting. Any chance acceptable results could be produced with one pass by tweaking the settings?

In addition, several dtg manufacturers have tried to print white ink without a RIP and have not been successful. So, the cost of a software solution would be close to a $1000 by itself.
I wonder if there's any chance of an open source RIP being produced.

#106 ·
What a great idea. I would not worry about every mom and dad buying one the can already print shirts using transfers with products like t-shirt factory.

Backyard mechanics don't kill real auto service centers (only a bad operator)

I can cook a great meal for 20-30 at home, but to make a living I need a commercial kitchen with high quality tools (big $)
I suspect most industries are the same.

This may become a great tool for the enthusiast, just enough to put the taste in their mouth to take the plunge and buy a real commercial quality machine. This may force higher volume sales of quality machines thus driving down equipment prices.

This may create more competition, that will kill off the weak, but make a good operation even better in the long run (Darwinism)

Good luck with the project:):):)

#107 ·
I'm not an engineer, but I think this is really neat. It may not be able to compare with the $15k version, but with suggestions from some of the engineers that have commented, maybe a better version could be made. I also don't think that everyone has the ability to make their shirts. So even if this was offered on the market for a low price, I don't think screen printers would have much to worry about. Most people would rather have someone else do the work.

#109 · (Edited)
Yes T also called me yesterday and we discussed inks and a few other things, he has a few ideas as to where he is headed with this project and only he will decide as to what information he wants to release. I can only imagin the stream of calls that he is getting!
"Nice Talking to you T ;) "
"YODan"

#115 ·
Yes T also called me yesterday and we discussed inks and a few other things, he has a few ideas as to where he is headed with this project and only he will decide as to what information he wants to release. I can only imagin the stream of calls that he is getting!
"Nice Taliking to you T ;) "
"YODan"
Quite interesting! Hey T could a puzzle be run through your printer as it is right now? Dan has some that require no precoat to print on. They are a little thicker than a t-shirt though.

There have been some other really cool printers like the BelQuette Imaginail based on a Lexmark- so it seems like it might be possible for the Chinese model to be viable though probably not very durable?

Michele

#110 ·
Wow.. It has been unbelievable the amount of emails and calls I have had. I have spoken to some of the best in this industry and have been further educated on the whole printing process.
What I have done is still an accomplishment that I will never forget and I have made friends from all over the world because of it. I hope to be known as one of the first to bring this to an affordable concept to the public.
I realize that the reality is only a matter of time before you can go to the local office depot and purchase a printer at this level.

Now for the Bad news(sorta)....I have been contacted by a company in China (imagine that) who says they have a printer on this level and that it will be released soon in the US. I asked all the right questions I could think of and they answered all of them without a hitch. Here are some of the answers:
Their printer is based on a lexmark (cheaper than the epson) with a bulk system available for sublimation ink or dtg inks. You must pre-treat the shirt for the ink to become vibrant and washable but no heat is needed.
Right now it will not print white inks but they have the plans to make it print white also.
I asked for pictures and specs, video - they sent all of them to me quickly and I was impressed.....Now for the good news.....
They have offered to send me one to test out and compare to with the one have created. I have to pay for the shipping and the inks but the printer is free!
I know some of you are thinking it may be a scam...I think it may be but, I lost money before and I think I'm going to take the chance.
Now to cover some costs, I have decided to sell my plans to help me pay for the chinese printer and really see it for myself.
The plans I have are for the c88 printer(which has been discontinued) so if you plan on making one you better purchase it now.
I hope that the plans work for everyone(I know they won't) But I am making them pretty simple and basic mods only need to be done.
The measurements are a ball park figure and up to you if you modify them and make it better.

sorry for the long post......,
T

#112 ·
YES...I'm not going to release the retail price they gave me, but most households can afford it with the average Visa card and every sign shop could not be without it for low quantity, basic quality T's.
I hope to become a distributor for them but only after I see it for myself and make sure it is very do-able!

Of course I will take care of the ones who have helped me!

T

#113 · (Edited)
Hmmm. Interesting. Sounds like a whole new approach. Makes sense, though, that you don't "need" heat. The Lexmark heads are thermal. You couldn't use current d.t.g. inks because they are heat-activated. If you run those inks through the Lexmark head they will be heated during the jetting process... probably curing them right in the nozzle (bad). Of course, you don't need to pre-treat white cotton with the current inks either... can't have it both ways, I guess.

T, did they indicate if they're using their own inks (or third-party inks) or the OEM Lexmark inks?

-- Fred

#117 ·
When I receive the (chinese/lexmark) printer which should be a week or two before it gets here, as long as they follow through with their part)I will let everyone know how it does.

They did say that for the best results, is to use their special ink catridges or bulk ink they offer...But we know how that can go.

I'm not going to release the video on it because I would like to see it work in person, and I feel they are being nice to share it with me. I will keep everyone posted on the results.

As for now, I am almost done with the 1st set of plans using the c88 printer. I do plan to have them ready by Sat.

#119 ·
So I guess there is more than one chinese company out there that is going to make something or already has made one like the diy one....
The one in this link looks to be smaller than the one I have seen, but does it look pretty close to the same design.
Has anyone else seen this one before?

#120 ·
I thought you had said that you still had a few things to work out on your version and was asking for some help. But you are saying that you will have the plans ready for sale Saturday. Does that mean you have everything figured out and working properly?

#121 ·
I have received some help from a few guys in this forum to make it a little better. It works ok, but it isn't perfect, like a commercial unit.
It does take some time centering the shirt and making sure the tray is placed in the same spot everytime, so the print is in the same location on each item.
Other then that I think it will work for occasional personal use to make some fun shirts for the kids.
Everyone who builds it is welcome to modify it to make it better or easier to use. Just remember that If it doesn't work like you would like it to, you may need to purchase a commercial unit.
To quote a previous post "It Is what It Is and It does What It does" It is a very do-able project and does take a little "skill" to build it. It will take alot more to make perfect.
I should have some time to try the DTG Inks on Friday and give the final results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.