T-Shirt Forums banner

Made my own DTG Printer for $150

[DIY DTG] 
1M views 3K replies 673 participants last post by  trackvw 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have been watching all the different forums on making a DTG printer and finally decided to post my discovery here.
I have made a DTG printer using an epson c88 $89.00 printer. I have maybe 150.00 in the equipment and supplies including the bulk ink system.

No, I cannot print white ink but I think this is a start for an affordable DTG printer.

Anyone who would like to help me improve the setup I made, I will be glad to help as long as everyone has an open mind and understands I'm NOT making these to sell, just to help so everyone can have an affordable DTG solution, and the agreement is that your discoveries can also be shared with me and everyone and not to be sold.

I will be posting a video on a website soon so everyone can see it is for real.
I will accept any feedback or suggestions being negative or positive.

Just wanted to see what kind of response I get before giving more info on the subject.
Thanks,
T

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3iOuKzhUlQ[/media]

Added by Rodney on July 20, 2009:

Adding these quick links to answers to common questions asked in this very long thread :)

Q: Where is the first set of plans?

A: Here's the PDF link

Q: Where's the second set of plans?

A: Here's the PDF link

Q: Has anybody actually successfully made their own DTG printer that prints using these plans?

A: Yes :)

Q: Where can I find more resources for building my own DTG?

A: Read here: http://www.t-shirtforums.com/diy-dtg/t63379.html

A: Post your question in the diydtg section here at t-shirtforums.

See less See more
#27 ·
great idea...great results...I think you may be on to something.. post the instructions....(after you get your patent!) and let some of us try to duplicate what you did. or maybe sell a cd with the instructions on it.....got to be someway for you to make a buck or two for sure

#30 ·
Thanks for answering the questions!
I am only using an epson bulk pigment ink, but I have heat set the shirts and washed them and the image is still the same.

I am using the standard c88+ icc profiles that came with the printer. I am going try using Flexi to print from next to see if that make a difference.

I know that most of the printers do come with it's own t-shirt software which may make a difference on how the printer prints.

Thanks to everyone for the great comments.... I'm still trying to improve it and may try a 6 color model epson next. I will draw up some plans to sell for a small fee so I can pay for my next printer and equipment to improve this. I appreciate any help I can get and I think WE can make this a great project!

#33 ·
makemygraphix,

There are many people printing with Epson 2200 based 7 color garment printers like the T-Jet2, printing direct from PhotoShop and using the standard Epson drivers. These people are not printing with white ink, they are using (CMYK,LM,LC,Lk). I believe that one of these people is using the Matte Heavy Weight paper profile with success.

I think that you might have success using the DTG inks

Best of Luck,
GRH

#35 ·
Well done

This is some Great stuff. Well done... when do you think that your instruction sheet or manual will be ready...

Many thanks for sharing your info many peeps wouldn't have done so..

It's good to know there are still a few nice guys around the block...

Well done again on your achivement
-- This was truly thinkingoutside of the box --:D

#41 ·
Well that's extremely interesting. It's hard to believe that it actually works at all, but the results in the video are very impressive. I'm sure there are many reasons the commercial DTG printers cost so much, but $15,000 more than the one you made? That's 100 times as much money.

I do understand that the cost of "doing business" adds plenty to the cost of a commercially made DTG, but I feel they are still too expensive for what you get.

I will be watching this thread for some instructions so I can try one myself.

#45 ·
Thanks Again to everyone for the great response on my creation!

I will draw up the plans this week and have them ready (at least a rough draft)
By monday 11-19

I ordered some Dtg ink this morning (thanks for the link to purchase the inks) to see if the quality could improve a little on the print. The ink cost more than the printer :)

The only issue with the printer now is the limit of the size of print since it is a normal paper printer. I will order an wider printer this week also to try and get it to work the same.

I would like for someone to help with the software if they could or design some possibly for ease of use or if there is some out there please let me know.

I'll keep everyone updated!

Thanks,

T

#48 ·
T,

What you have done is pretty danged cool to say the least! :)
Asking for a little to save a LOT is also a good thing, and to come on here to share that is a VERY NICE thing!

I do have something to kind'a add, in your documentation, just make sure that it's worded so people that can't
build stuff don't buy it and not have a clue, 'cause I 'magine that'll happen. heheh

You will also be getting a PM from me in a few minutes too.

Thanks for what you're doing, it takes people like you that are not greedy to make a difference, and we will appreciate all of your efforts.

Randy

#49 ·
After owning a Kiosk, and seeing many design flaws with it, I always considered trying to hack my own DTG printer. The most difficult thing I could not figure out was what controls the print bed, was it the printer engine itself or a separate board. Looks like you answered the question here!

Great job!

#50 ·
Dan, that was VERY generous of you! Thank you for doing your part in making this a reality! :D

T, if you really are planning on putting out plans without charging for them, that's simply awesome! I can't wait to see what you provide for everyone!

This might just open up a whole new avenue for me and Mark. If you can actually use garment inks in your system, the colors SHOULD hold fast, and in that case we'd HAVE to do this!

You deserve some sort of compensation for this. :)

#51 ·
The offer from Dan is a good example of the bonds of this board. When we help another we will see that we help all ...including ourselves

I am anxious to see how this works. I am very technology bright...I have turned the light on and off three times all by myself!....and only took a week to learn.

On the serious side, I can see where some technical expertise might be required to disassemble and re-assemble the print head and electronic gizmos...(new techie term) ...but this should be very interesting..

#52 ·
Pretty cool stuff, where is Atari, didn't he try this for quite some time and got next to nowhere?

Challenges that I see that you will face going to the next level will be - finding a larger format - 4 color only machine, as many of the DTG ink manufacturers do not make the light colors and without a RIP you can't assign channels. Getting the bed mechanism to re-register so that you can run a second pass - this would improve your vibrancy (the Epson driver doesn't deposit enough ink on one pass to give exceptable quality). Getting the bed mechanism consistent in height so that you can get closer to the printhead (and having it adjustable for different thickness garments). No doubt you have done a great job in getting this far.

Good luck in your trials.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.