[DIY DTG] Made my own DTG Printer for $150 - Page 112 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] Made my own DTG Printer for $150

Like Tree23Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 16th, 2009 Oct 16, 2009 12:17:50 PM -   #1666 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Made my own DTG Printer for $150

Once you put that video up can you post the link here please?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2009 Oct 16, 2009 3:55:04 PM -   #1667 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: D.J.

There are a few posts with general instructions and a ton of information throughout this thread, but I don't recall a detailed step by step instructions anywhere. If you have a little mechanical skills, there is more than enough information throughout this thread to do this. If you don't have the mechanical skills, then you probably shouldn't be trying a project like this. Lots of people have made grand claims, but few have provided any significant information on their claims beyond a youtube video showing the machine working. Most are color only and few are white.

To do white ink on dark garments, you'll need a RIP and 8 color Epson printer. That'll drive the price up quite a bit and add to the complexity.

Old October 19th, 2009 Oct 19, 2009 1:17:29 PM -   #1668 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

what happened to the post from turbo jet

Old October 19th, 2009 Oct 19, 2009 1:20:02 PM -   #1669 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: becky

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyx567
what happened to the post from turbo jet
I would like to know also, I was going to call him about the printer and ask if he has that set up for wide format for banners.

Old October 19th, 2009 Oct 19, 2009 2:09:21 PM -   #1670 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Giovanni

I think that Tjet was caught advertising here and it's not permited.

Anyhow he seemed knowledgeable enough. If you want to call him, look at past posts. You'll see his #.

Old October 19th, 2009 Oct 19, 2009 3:32:17 PM -   #1671 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: becky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gioclone
I think that Tjet was caught advertising here and it's not permited.

Anyhow he seemed knowledgeable enough. If you want to call him, look at past posts. You'll see his #.

How do I look up his past post's?

Old October 19th, 2009 Oct 19, 2009 3:51:25 PM -   #1672 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

cannot wait to see it!

Old October 19th, 2009 Oct 19, 2009 3:56:33 PM -   #1673 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

The one thing about the video, it was for a white tshirt. Don't get me wrong but how the heck do you see colors pop through a video? Also isn't the big deal that the dtg is supposed to do darks?

Why post a video of the unit doing whites?

Old October 20th, 2009 Oct 20, 2009 6:30:34 AM -   #1674 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I don't know about this one. Looked like a t-jet taken apart and placed on a wooden stand. Would of liked to see the printer being built. So he is making the printers and selling them from what i understood. My opinion wait before you buy one. Need to see the dark print video plus his he registered to sell as a business or doing it on the side? Do you need a license to sell a DTG printer being built? Asking questions for i would like to know more than a video.

Old October 20th, 2009 Oct 20, 2009 10:39:00 AM -   #1675 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by polomac
Do you need a license to sell a DTG printer being built?
This is not legal advice... just what I have experienced. Since there are two patents on dtg printing, there is legal precendent that any company that sells or provides the knowledge or components covered by the patent can be held in violation of the patent and be responsible for damages. With all the recent litigation activity by both companies that own the patents, it is unwise for any company to participate in this activity unless they have the capital to join the lawsuits. This is the reason why I backed off my efforts. The cost of getting involved in the lawsuit will severely hurt potential profits. So you should be very careful about any posts you make here or on any traceable forum about paying for these type of services.

Now if it was taking an existing printer and changing the design, then one could argue that the original dtg manufacturer should be responsible for the patent damages.

Just some things to consider.

Mark

Old October 20th, 2009 Oct 20, 2009 10:56:50 AM -   #1676 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: D.J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logcabin
How do I look up his past post's?
Scroll up.

Old October 20th, 2009 Oct 20, 2009 10:58:14 AM -   #1677 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Do you know what the patents are?

Old October 20th, 2009 Oct 20, 2009 11:08:14 AM -   #1678 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

They are listed on Page 4 of this document (not counting the cover page) -

Old October 20th, 2009 Oct 20, 2009 11:19:48 AM -   #1679 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Kathy

You tube still has his video

Old October 21st, 2009 Oct 21, 2009 12:07:23 PM -   #1680 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Joe

About me: This is only my second post on here but I have been showing up for a while to sap information from the forums. I have worked at my family owned and operated business since my senior year in high school and that was about 10 years ago. I use the products I talk about below and am in no way affiliated with the companies that create or sell them other than my being a customer. We have about 5 empoyees and our business is small. We focus on quality over quantity and try to turn nothing away. We will do one-of-a-kind items and attempt to do what seems impossible. There are other large shops around us who focus on quantity and we naturally get business from them turning away small orders. It has served us well and has turned out to be a great asset in this time of economical downturn as the orders that have slowed are the ones buying 200+ items.

I am going to lay down some simple concepts here trying to debunk the build-it-yourself DTG Printer.

1. It does not print on dark colors. This is a major issue because for about $1500 you can get yourself an Epson 4800, load it up with Sawgrass Inks and a Sawgrass Driver and print on anything that has polyester in it: Tackle Twill, Poly Coated anything, (Clock faces, coffee mugs, picture frames, tiles, lanyards, etc.) Poly Tees, and 50/50 Tees (Less than optimal results) The prints will not go on dark colors and full color prints almost have to go on white but that is the exact same result you are going to get from the c88 convert.

2. If you are not handy you will not be able to build the machine. In order to have everything go perfect you are going to have to measure with a hard ruler, a sharp pencil, drill pilot holes, check tolerances, clamp glued seams, and basically the whole 9 yards. You will likely need a drill press, and a table saw and quite frankly I don't know many people who own their own teeshirt shop that have time to own a drill press and a table saw. We work 24hrs a day!! I know I can do all of this but it is going to be no cake walk. The hours it would take even me to do (I have worked with cards and wood since I can remember) would be better off spent working or doing sales runs.

Final words. No matter how many teeshirts you run through your DTG Printer the cost of the unit is still the same. If you run 1,000,000,000 through a $2000 printer it has still cost you $2000. If you think a DTG is going to sell you Tshirts you are wrong. It is going to sit on the counter until you sell the shirt it makes. So, go get a c88 for $100 + $150 in mods + $$$ on bulk inks - Hours upon hours spent on building the thing (Cross you fingers and hope that it works) and maybe save yourself a grand; on the same day I will dump $2000 on buying a product with a warranty, ink, and customer support for both mechanical and software malfunction, and I will hit the streets selling my shirts. When you print your first shirt we will check the balance of what we paid and what we made. I will already have paid for my printer and refilled the ink containers... You will be in the hole $400 and behind on a weeks worth of work.

Moderators: Please close this thread as I have shown above it is absolute trash. This belongs on a DIY website, not a website like this. This is not a way to save money but a way to gamble with it. The instructions and articles are being put forth as a way to get a $10,000 machine for $300 and it is a blatant lie. You get what you pay for and in this case it could be a destroyed desktop printer.

This is a discussion about Made my own DTG Printer for $150 that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in