[DIY DTG] Epson xp-215 for A4 DTG printing? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] Epson xp-215 for A4 DTG printing?

Like Tree10Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 26th, 2014 Jan 26, 2014 7:33:52 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Epson xp-215 for A4 DTG printing?

Hi All,

I was planning on converting a small A4 epson inkjet model number xp-215 to a DTG printer.

My question is has anyone tried experimenting with this model? It is an all in one printer (scanner etc) so was wondering if it would be more complicated to convert to a DTG as I've seen videos on youtube which seem to be purely printer only.

I would love to know if someone has experimented with this model or similar ones like the xp-205, xp-405 etc, and if so do you have a video or instructions if it worked.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2014 Jan 26, 2014 7:41:14 AM -  
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Boguslaw
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default Re: Epson xp-215 for A4 DTG printing?

I haven't done a mod with this printer but a4 printer are really not a good platform for DTG.

Old January 26th, 2014 Jan 26, 2014 1:13:16 PM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Johnson
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

He wants it for priting on iphone cases etc.

Old January 26th, 2014 Jan 26, 2014 4:21:17 PM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Wade
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

For the money you might want to go with the Workforce 30 or the C88. They do not have the potential complications associated with the the XP printers and are still the A4 format. The WF30 has the added advantage of a second black. It is not used in the traditional way where one is gloss and one is matte but using a RIP program should allow you to isolate one channel for white. Bang for the buck, the WF30 looks hard to beat. One drawback is you cannot find print heads for them but they are so cheap it would be better just to buy a new printer. You can find both refillable and CIS ink systems for both as well.

No I haven't used one but the C88 is a common platform and the WF30 is it's replacement. Should be fairly straightforward.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sacman For This Useful Post:
storminteractive (January 26th, 2014)
Old January 26th, 2014 Jan 26, 2014 6:28:57 PM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Guys, what is the british equivalent of the Workforce 30?

Nevermind! I have since found the P50 which is a 6 colour printer - perfect! but expensive!

Last edited by storminteractive; January 26th, 2014 at 07:14 PM..

Old January 26th, 2014 Jan 26, 2014 7:57:28 PM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Yeah. It looks like the P50 is really the best choice for an A4 format printer. They just go up in price from there.

A WF30 is only 80 USD or about 50 pounds. You might be better off buying the WF30.

http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epson...d3628#shpCntId

This guy will ship to the UK for about 90 pounds total which includes the price of the printer. That is the only one I found that would ship to the UK.

Old January 27th, 2014 Jan 27, 2014 11:38:30 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Hi all, thanks for the messages so far, they've been great help.

That WF30 model certainly looks like an interesting option. I wouldn't go for the P50 it is way to expensive, I'd rather get the r1400 or 1800 models at that price.

I've heard the c88 model to be an easy conversion but has anyone tried the WF30 model? Also, seen as most of these are US only models, would there be any sort of problem using them in UK :s might be a stupid question but I'm not great with technology.

And is there any way to convert a normal 4 slot inkjet printer to print white? Like put a different ink in the slot to start with or something :s lol

Thanks again.

Old January 27th, 2014 Jan 27, 2014 11:47:44 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

you could use a voltage convertee but by the time you buy it amd pay customs fees on the pribter you might as well buy a p50 if you want an a4 printer. As for printing white from a CMYK printer, someone suggested on the forum putting white ink in a black cartridge and then printing in black and white. no one seems to have tried it yet. Alternatively try picking up an Epson C84, C86 or D88 on ebay and convert that. I got a C84 for £15 with shipping just for my firdt build but ultimstely I am using P50 and 1500W. I would also say that if print head dies in future, you might want to buy 2 of the same printer and keep the spare on for parts as printers and the printheads prices rocket up when the printers are no longer made. I jave 3 of every printer I am working on for conversion to DTG/dye sub.

Old January 27th, 2014 Jan 27, 2014 12:13:39 PM -  
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Boguslaw
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Making a print by switching out cartridges for only white and then after printing the white layer and switching them again to print cmyk on top would cost more in ink that buying the print in retail.

Old January 28th, 2014 Jan 28, 2014 5:27:28 PM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I found the service manual for the Workforce 30. This also includes the C110, C120, D120, B30 T30, T33 and ME office 70. They are all the same printer depending on where you live. So back to an earlier question about the UK equivalent. Find one of these and you should be in business.

The service manual does not have an electrical diagram or exploded diagrams/parts list so that is a bit of a bummer but it actually seems to be less electrically complicated than my R230. There does not appear to be a PW sensor which is a huge plus since this is the major challenge with the R230. On the negative side, from what I can see in the disassembly (who'd have thought that isn't a real word) pictures, the frame may not be as complete as some of the others. In other words, it might use some of the plastic base as part of the frame. The other possible negative is that has is a direct drive DC motor instead of a stepper with a timing belt. It also uses an fragile encoder wheel and sensor since it can't use steps to count position as it would with a stepper motor.

The manual does have a good operation breakdown which seems common in some service manuals but not in others.

I bought a used WF30 off of eBay which I hope to have by Friday so I will know more over the weekend.

Old January 28th, 2014 Jan 28, 2014 5:31:16 PM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thanks for that Wade. Appreciate your help. I have since decided that whilst an A4 machine might be easier for me to learn with, ultimately it is not going to serve my purpose so I am now in the process of selling all my printers and am going to go with only R2000 machines. Hope the W30 works though and be good to see what you do with it! Cheers bud.

Old January 28th, 2014 Jan 28, 2014 5:43:37 PM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Wow! That is a big price step!

I am hoping to use the A4 to learn from. I have an R230 based printer that I got from China but it cost me $3,000. It is an A4 system and serves my purpose but I am almost at capacity printing 8 hours a day. I need to be able to build additional capacity and don't want to pay another $3,000 for another one so any A4 I build doubles my capacity. I have had a lot of problems with my printer which has forced me to learn a lot about how they work which also led me to these forums. I sometimes kick myself for how much I paid but my product development at the time didn't allow for more development on a printer. I needed one that worked out of the box. I also have a motorized height adjust which will set the height automatically for me. While not critical it sure is nice to have!

Good luck with the big printer!

You can check out what I do with mine at ModelBlocks.com. What I do is unique in the DTG industry but has nothing to do with garments.
tshirtvwer likes this.

Old January 28th, 2014 Jan 28, 2014 5:51:50 PM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

$3000 for an R230? Crikey! That is an astonishing amount! You don't need to hear that though I know! Not sure if this helps but I saw some 2nd hand 8 colour A4 printers for sale on ebay in the UK for £50 each. Not converted and not new but like I said they do have all 8 colour cartridges, also have paper roll ability in the firmware and they are supported by EKRip. I would imagine they would be easy to convert but do not quote me on that. Anyway, in England they are an R800 but might go by another code elsewhere in the world but the service manual will always help out with the different model numbers. Might be worth looking at especially as it would allow printing on dark garments because it can do white. I was going to buy an R800 myself but I have bought so may printers in the last month, I have just decided to stick with the R2000 only now apart from one C84 and one S22 which I have full instructions for to convert so these are my test machines and an old 1400 but aside from that (lol) only the 2000 from now on. Never built a DTG before so the 2000 should be interesting. Just dont want to screw them up as they are pricey!

Old January 29th, 2014 Jan 29, 2014 10:59:14 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Hi Sacman,

Let us know how it went with the WF30. I checked all the other models on ebay you mentioned earlier, not a single one to be found...well there are the odd one or two but I require a model which I can buy frequently and one which isn't an antique lol.

By the way, is the stepper motor the thing which makes the printer head move left and right? I am not too sure of the individual parts, you mind telling me what they do? like the encoder wheel, sensor, dc motor?

Also have you got a video of the one you have already with the adjustable height etc.

Thanks.

Old January 29th, 2014 Jan 29, 2014 11:23:03 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

How about an R800?

This is a discussion about Epson xp-215 for A4 DTG printing? that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in