[DIY DTG] Epson xp-215 for A4 DTG printing? - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] Epson xp-215 for A4 DTG printing?

Like Tree10Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 1st, 2014 Feb 1, 2014 9:40:12 AM -   #31 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Marty
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Epson xp-215 for A4 DTG printing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by opportunist123
Hi all,

Marty, I am in Birmingham, UK.

Good luck Sacman, let us know how it goes. And if you do start a new thread let us know the link, btw I don't mind you using this one of mine.
Pity, I live in Grimsby on the east coast
Regards Marty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2014 Feb 1, 2014 2:07:23 PM -   #32 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

ah thats alright your not that far off.

Hope the weathers treating you well there.

Old February 6th, 2014 Feb 6, 2014 1:59:46 PM -   #33 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Hi Guys,

I had a play around with my printer today, decided to stick to a good old epson.

After removing most of the outer casing I got up to the stage you can see in the pictures. Now I am totally lost as to what to do...it seems all too much going on.

I've attached 5 pictures doing a 360 around the printer. Can someone tell me which parts I need and which I don't.

So picture one you can see all the gears etc. I don't think I need the two gears towards the right, is that correct? If I was to take it apart, how would I increase the depth/height to fit in the sliding tray like other have done, seems to me like the chip thing around the plastic encoder wheel thing has limited length....

Also from picture 3, Just behind the ink pad there are some more gears, I think they move the paper or something :s do I really need them? Same with picture 5, I have some gears around the rear to push the paper in, are those needed too?

Finally can anyone see the PE sensor, I don't seem to see it anywhere :s or maybe I don't know exactly what it looks like on this model.

Thanks guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (165.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (166.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (170.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 4.JPG (152.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 5.JPG (173.8 KB, 59 views)

Old February 6th, 2014 Feb 6, 2014 3:57:49 PM -   #34 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

I have a c88 right now that I'm going to convert. I would recommend it as there is already lots of support for it. keep it simple then move up

Old February 6th, 2014 Feb 6, 2014 3:59:32 PM -   #35 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

sorry, I missed the fact there were a couple more pages, :P my bad

Old February 6th, 2014 Feb 6, 2014 4:43:09 PM -   #36 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Wade
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I can't tell by looking at the pictures which model you ended up with. I feel kind of spoiled since I have dismantled my Chinese R230 more than once, I get to see how it all works. Without having one in front of you I can see where it can get confusing.

I will get you started in the right general direction. Assume you are looking at the printer where it feeds paper towards you. On the left side is the drive mechanism for the paper feed. You are right to assume that you will not need those front two gears or the roller(s) attached to them. For now I would leave the PF roller and the drive motor in place. All of the stuff in the front of the printer can go except for the metal front frame piece. This includes the piece with the gray foam. As you start removing these pieces it will become more obvious what needs to go. From the front, you are really only concerned about leaving the PF roller in place for now. That is the roller with the gray coating. You will remove it eventually but there are other things attached to it for now.

As for what you see on the right rear. This is most likely the clutch assembly for the ASF system and the pump drive. This is also where the PE sensor is hiding. It is almost impossible to see the sensor until you start removing other bits. That will all eventually have to come out but it looks like you will be able to use Marty's method of driving the pump off the PF roller gear so pay attention to how this goes together. That is the Small gear you can see just behind the capping station. I have not gotten this far on my WF30 but you should be able to remove all fo the rear components as well. Some people make use of the PE sensor trigger as it exists in the printer. If you choose to do so, you will want to be careful that it remains intact. You can also remove the pump assembly but it is attached by a hose to the capping station. you will almost certainly have to replace this hose with a longer one but for now you can leave it attached.

As far as the encoder sensor for the PF roller. The PF motor and drive gear, the timing belt, the PF roller and driving gear with the attached encoder, and the encoder sensor will all have to removed. This is the main motive force behind your tray drive. Once you have decided on a frame design, these pieces will be reattached to your newly created frame. Look at Marty's pictures again and you can see where these are no where near the printer body any more. They are in the lower section of his frame. His printer looks very similar to what you have and it may actually be the same one. You may have to extend the wires for the encoder sensor and/or the motor to make this work.

Hope that gets you going in the right direction!

Old February 7th, 2014 Feb 7, 2014 6:21:56 AM -   #37 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

thanks again for your help sacman, was good hearing from you! hope the build on wf30 is going well for ya.

The encoder sensor that I have on the PF encoder is in a certain position. When I rebuild onto another frame would I need to find the same exact space of can I put the sensor anywhere around the circumference of that encoder wheel.

Will I be needing that ASF mechanism? If the PE sensor is hiding under there I will obviously require that but what about the rest? Can I not just leave the waste ink tube naturally hanging down rather then some pump mechanism.

Lastly, the main PF roller (long steel pipe with grey rubber like covering) is this the part which drives the flatbed forward? i.e. does the flatbed mdf just sit on the PF roller and move along as it rotates?

Thanks in advance.

Old February 7th, 2014 Feb 7, 2014 7:46:42 AM -   #38 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I only have a couple of minutes but here are some more answers:

The final position of the PF encoder sensor around the circumference of the wheel should not matter. That encoder wheel has some very faint black lines on it. Those are the what the sensor reads so the sensor just needs to be in a fixed position anywhere around the circumference of that wheel.

On this printer, there is no APG motor and associated sensor. You will not need that back ASF assembly at all. The only possible exception will be the few components that allow the PE sensor to operate. And this will depend on how you intend to trigger it.

The way print head performs a cleaning is by use of that pump. With the Print Head over the capping station, the pump pulls ink from the head through the capping station. Some people use a syringe to manually pull ink through the capping station line. Because of the design of your printer, you have a rather unique opportunity to use the pump system as it exists with no redesign since it is driven from a gear on the right end of the PF roller. This is a significant advantage and I would take advantage of it. In order to do so, you will most likely have to extend that hose as it will be too short to go the distance from the capping station to the new pump location. My Chinese R230 re-purposes the PF stepper motor to drive the pump directly. The only way they get away with this is because they did a complete overhaul of the tray drive system using non standard components leaving that Stepper unused. This is a much more complicated way to do it and not necessary for your printer.

Yes, the PF roller drives the tray. From everything I have read, the friction method is the preferred method where a layer of cork shelf liner is applied to the bottom of the tray to provide a good friction coefficient and the tray sits directly on the PF roller. Other options include direct drive and timing belt drive but there is a lot of math required to make sure that the movement translates correctly and is not worth it for this kind of printing. My Chinese printer uses a rack and pinion style drive system and they clearly had to do some math based on the size of the various gears, the number of teeth per inch, the pitch etc to make sure that a given amount of movement in the PF motor translate to the expected amount of movement in the tray. I don't intend to try to replicate this for my WF30.

As far as my WF30 goes, I bought it used from ebay and it showed up with no ink. I just needed enough to prove that it functions and it had none! I bought the printer for $60 shipped. A new one only costs $80 and would have come with starter cartridges! To buy a full set of cartridges would be $60 from Staples. So I ordered some refillables for $17 which I got earlier this week but I am so busy I haven't had time to work on it. I have a Sci Fi convention coming up in a couple of weeks and I need to have 30,000 blocks printed. I am right now at about 6,000. If I am not at my normal day job, I am printing blocks. I just hope my R230 holds up to the abuse.

Old February 7th, 2014 Feb 7, 2014 9:50:06 AM -   #39 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Hi all em out
First congratulation for all projects on this forum, them are all amazing!!!
I'm trying to convert my old epson c86 to make my first dtg printer project, and i would know measurments of A4 flat bed mdf pieces.
So, anybody can tell me how long and tall it must be?
Thanks in advance

Old February 7th, 2014 Feb 7, 2014 10:39:29 AM -   #40 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Of all the dimensions to ask for, those are the least critical. There is no actual limit to the length or height of the tray. The width is critical but the tray can arguably be as long as you want. On my Chinese printer the tray is much longer than it needs to be. This was originally annoying but because of what I print, it actually makes for a great work surface as I load the tray. I have about an 8" flat surface before you get to the print area.

Consider the height. The best option is to make the bottom tray that the drawer slides attach to as short as possible. Basically you need side walls tall enough to attach the drawer slides to. This allows you to make secondary trays that mount in or on the bottom tray that puts you at the height needed to get to the print head. Or as is commonly done, mount a Lab Jack to it and open up all sorts of possibilities. One of the challenges faced even by textile printers is that the textiles can be of different thicknesses. If you are printing on hard surfaces, you will almost certainly encounter situations where you need to adjust the height. A fixed height printer will really limit these options.

The C86 is essentially the same as the C88. The pinned thread at the top of the forum called I built my printer for $150 details how to build one using a C88. It should get you well on your way.

Old February 7th, 2014 Feb 7, 2014 11:29:21 AM -   #41 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

There is always something new to learn from you Sacman. Love the idea of the lab jack, btw thanks for taking time out and replying on these forums, good luck with the upcoming deadline.

I've posted a picture along with this message of a small component I found around the front of the printer. Could this be the PE sensor?

And thanks for your earlier message regarding ASF, I think I get how that works now, will probably find some more complex stuff underneath once I take it apart lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.JPG (180.6 KB, 50 views)

Old February 7th, 2014 Feb 7, 2014 11:46:47 AM -   #42 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

That does look like it might be the PE sensor. Do you have the service manual? If you do you should have a list of what connectors connect where on the main board. If you trace that FFC (flat flexible cable) back to the board and find out what it is called CN1,CN2 etc and compare to the service manual it will tell you more. That is the first one I've seen at the front of the printer but it does make a certain amount of sense to be located there. This is another possible question for Marty since I am pretty
well convinced this is the same as his smaller conversion.

My WF30 has some similarities as well. Now I'm going to have to look at the service manual and see where the PE sensor is on mine. I didn't really pay attention before simply assuming it was a physical switch like on my R230.

You can probably find the service manual but it might take a while. I had to search for a long time to find one for the WF30 but I found the one for my R230 very quickly. Don't forget to look for the American version of your printer. Odds are that you will have more luck finding it that way.

Old February 7th, 2014 Feb 7, 2014 1:06:35 PM -   #43 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

i tried hunting the service manual, could not find it anywhere. It looks similar to martys because they are both xp models, martys is xp 30 and my one is xp-215. It looks the same as the US model xp-200.

I opened up the 'assumed PE sensor' was nothing underneath it, the plastic was actually covering it from the bottom too so it has no way of detecting paper underneath or something, the only form of sensing I can see is the two little led bulbs at the top, so I'm not sure how they would detect paper going beneath them.

Going to buy some wood tomorrow! and then screw it all off, will let you know how I get on, just doing the math to calculate size for the wood frames now.

Old February 7th, 2014 Feb 7, 2014 8:47:49 PM -   #44 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Are you sure about the paper routing? In other words, are you sure the paper routes under that sensor and not over it? I can't quite tell from the image.

My R230 has the same kind of sensor in the print head that detects Paper Width for borderless printing. I found out the hard way that if I choose borderless on my printer things break. This is not what your sensor is dong but I can see where it might be for the paper edge. Was there another sensor in the back that is 'U' shaped with a lever that pivots to go between the 'U'? This is how many of the Epson printers detect the paper. The paper actually pushes that lever into the optical sensor (the "U" shaped bit). If there is no other sensor then this must be the PE sensor.

I just spent about 30 minutes trolling for the manual. 2manuals.com has it but you have to pay for it. I personally would if for no other reason than peace of mind. I bought the service adjustment program for my R230 through them.

Take a look: Epson XP-100, XP-101, XP-102, XP-103, XP-104, XP-200, XP-201, XP-202, XP-203, XP-204, XP-205, XP-207, XP-211, XP-212, XP-214, XP-215, XP-300, XP-302, XP-303, XP-305, XP-306, XP-310, XP-312, XP-313, XP-315, XP-400, XP-401, XP-402, XP-403, XP-405, XP-4

Old February 8th, 2014 Feb 8, 2014 1:52:22 AM -   #45 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Marty

Hi, I will take my case off the XP30 and take some photos of the machine later.
Regards Marty

Sent from my HTC Desire X using T-Shirt Forums

This is a discussion about Epson xp-215 for A4 DTG printing? that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in