[DIY DTG] Build DTG printer A3+ with Epson R1900 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] Build DTG printer A3+ with Epson R1900

Like Tree18Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 14th, 2014 Jan 14, 2014 5:25:37 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Miki
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Wink Build DTG printer A3+ with Epson R1900

Hello,
manufactures DTG printer for t-shirts.
I need to print on t-shirts, sweatshirts, sweaters ...
However, I used original Epson dc motor. The motor is in the tests was strong enough,
but the problem arose when stopping tables. Followed by leap in printing
Therefore, I am looking for a solution by replacing dc epson motor with a stepper or servo.
Looking for help but I think it's not such a secret. Otherwise, the matter may save myself
but I need 6 months to explore the best solution as it is a UFO in China. Praying for answers.
Greetings from Slovenia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_000441.jpg (302.9 KB, 1173 views)
File Type: jpg WP_000442.jpg (344.3 KB, 1054 views)
File Type: jpg WP_000443.jpg (277.5 KB, 1048 views)
yaman2164 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 15th, 2014 Jan 15, 2014 1:44:07 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Boguslaw
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default Re: Build DTG printer A3+ with Epson R1900

You need a microcontroller to drive a servo or stepper - so microcontroller like arduino + servo driver + servo motor or servo driver.

You would need some advanced programming skills for this.

Old January 15th, 2014 Jan 15, 2014 5:06:43 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalzstein
You need a microcontroller to drive a servo or stepper - so microcontroller like arduino + servo driver + servo motor or servo driver.

You would need some advanced programming skills for this.
Which model controller need to be able to use the signal from the epson motherboards.
Here I have a problem. Ratio and settings transfer tables do not have a problem.
The problem I find the right controller that is able to use Epson signal.
Because Epson does not apply standards PWM signal. Do let me know which controller
can be used and what the stepper motor is powerful enough to move the 10kg plates.
Thanks for the reply.

Old January 15th, 2014 Jan 15, 2014 5:37:55 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You do not use PWM signal from motor you use signal from encoder wheel sensor as digital signal.

The Following User Says Thank You to Smalzstein For This Useful Post:
Mikistromar (January 15th, 2014)
Old January 15th, 2014 Jan 15, 2014 7:24:04 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
You do not use PWM signal from motor you use signal from encoder wheel sensor as digital signal.
Encoder have A and B signal.
These two signals connected to the controller from the controller
to the driver stepper or servo motor. Does it work've already tested it.
Cheaper would be a stepper motor and is also stronger.
I had a solution in a similar direction. On the gear motor epson printer would have connected encoder.
Similarly, as
mdrincic likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mikistromar For This Useful Post:
Smalzstein (January 15th, 2014)
Old February 5th, 2014 Feb 5, 2014 8:07:57 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: perseot

as lame or get the digital signal decoder wheel on my epson R2000 I think it's the same in the R1900 thanks

Old February 6th, 2014 Feb 6, 2014 11:11:08 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Wade
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Have you considered just upgrading the motor?

The PWM signal merely controls the speed at which the DC motor turns. If you have a standard 9v battery and connect it to a basic DC Motor, it is going to run at a given speed as long as the battery lasts. If you add a resistor to drop some of the voltage, you reduce some of the voltage dropped across the motor therefore the motor runs slower (the larger the resistance, the slower the motor). PWM basically allows us to control the motor speed digitally without having to put a resistor in line. While we are not changing the actual voltage to the motor, we are cycling the time the voltage is on and off very rapidly which passes an effective voltage to the motor that is something less than full voltage. It is more complicated than that but this simplistic view is all we need.

So if you simply upgrade the existing motor to a higher torque version, it should still work correctly as long it is rated for the same Voltage. In other words, don't try to replace the 9V motor with a 12V motor. Although it would probably still work since the encoder feedback provides position info, a 12V rated motor would move slower or faster than the 9V rated motor using the same PWM signal depending on how the rest of the circuit is wired. If the full 42V system voltage is being modulated, you would get a much faster movement rate with the 12V motor. If the voltage to the motor is regulated down to something closer to the 9V needed, the 12V motor would run slower than the 9V.

Trying to convert a DC Motor control to a stepper control without a microcontroller background, could be challenging. However, due to the overall simplicity of the system, theoretically it wouldn't be hard. The PWM signal comes on when the printer tells the motor to run. When the encoder signal tells the motor to stop, the PWM signal turns off. Feed that PWM signal to an Arduino digital pin, you would then just tell your stepper to start or stop a the same times. You don't need to even know exact values of the PWM signal just which direction it is going. I don't think the speed is really critical in the encoder wheel system. I am assuming that the print head does not make its next pass until the encoder wheel says it is in the correct position therefore how long it takes to get to that position is irrelevant. I'm not sure of that assumption is correct or not. I would have to scope it.

The only potential pitfall I see is timing. For example. If the encoder is the deciding factor on print head movement. The printer says "I'm done with this print head pass so you can move the PF roller by x pulses of the encoder". The PMW signal is sent to the Arduino instead of the motor. The Arduino then turns on the Stepper. The encoder counts the expected number of pulses and tells the PF motor to stop. This signal now goes to the Arduino instead which stops the Stepper. At the same time the printer is telling the PF motor to stop, is it also telling the print head to go? Any time delay here could be critical though I suspect it is inconsequential.

One last thought. If you do decide to pass the PWM to an Arduino, measure it first. Depending on how it is wired, you could be sending a high current straight to the Arduino which would release the magic blue smoke, this equals bad.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sacman For This Useful Post:
devahoch (December 28th, 2014), Smalzstein (February 6th, 2014)
Old February 6th, 2014 Feb 6, 2014 8:58:46 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: perseot

Perfect, I will try to implement the above ... thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to perseot For This Useful Post:
dijitprinter (September 27th, 2014)
Old February 15th, 2014 Feb 15, 2014 9:26:33 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Wink Re: Build DTG printer A3+ with Epson R1900

I started a new project to test and here are the results. YES work, necessary improvements but will be ok.

mdrincic likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mikistromar For This Useful Post:
perseot (February 17th, 2014)
Old March 6th, 2014 Mar 6, 2014 2:03:28 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

You can call me: Nikola

Hi Miki I see you've solved the problem of managing Step motor encoder signal from the printer. I am also trying to do DTG printer prints but I found that his original engine does not have enough power for machinery what I imagined. I have a couple of powerful stepper enough of CNC lathes with the drivers and I think that's your idea of ​​a solution for what we need. Do not longer, if you can help me and draw a scheme of how you programmed the Arduino. Otherwise a printer that I disassembled the Epson Stylus 4000th At the encoder has a 5V. thankful in advance

Old March 6th, 2014 Mar 6, 2014 6:13:05 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Wink Re: Build DTG printer A3+ with Epson R1900

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkord
Hi Miki I see you've solved the problem of managing Step motor encoder signal from the printer. I am also trying to do DTG printer prints but I found that his original engine does not have enough power for machinery what I imagined. I have a couple of powerful stepper enough of CNC lathes with the drivers and I think that's your idea of ​​a solution for what we need. Do not longer, if you can help me and draw a scheme of how you programmed the Arduino. Otherwise a printer that I disassembled the Epson Stylus 4000th At the encoder has a 5V. thankful in advance
There's still some problems, so that the matter be tested. The problems are at high speed.
The stepper motor does not have the correct facilities. Testing continues with other controllers because the Arduino is not so good. Arduino is very cheap but unfortunately the signals are working late.
In the photo print it works but there is a problem with fast print.
There are currently testing an AC 200V AC servo driver Omron and AC 3 phase motor Omron. There are very good results but unfortunately very costly affair kit price 1100€. For this money can buy completed dtg system driver UFOprinter in China.
But i still looking for cheap price.

Old March 6th, 2014 Mar 6, 2014 6:56:34 AM -   #12 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

DTG and the word cheap should not be in the same sentecne
Sacman likes this.

Old March 6th, 2014 Mar 6, 2014 7:25:47 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
DTG and the word cheap should not be in the same sentecne
The price of 5000€ does not look good in a sentence if you have to pay for the parts of the DTG.

Old May 12th, 2014 May 12, 2014 9:13:52 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Hello Smalzstein,
do you now how many pulse has the encoder Epson R1400, r1900. It is 400 or 500 or more.
1 rotation of the encoder how many pulses has.
Rgd Miki

Old May 14th, 2014 May 14, 2014 12:26:49 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Wade
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Most encoders work off of 180 or 360 pulse increments or some multiple of that. This is based on degrees in the circle. An odd number like 400 or 500 would not make sense.

As far as the fast print comment above. I have a Chinese printer and it tracks perfectly in the photo mode well within my tolerance of about .5mm. At fast speeds it is a mess. This is using much higher end drive equipment than the typical coated roller on cork board DIY method. No matter how you build your tray there is going to be a lot more mass than that associated with the piece of paper the printer normally deals with. Maybe you will get better results with a high torque stepper.

With regards to the Arduino. The Arduino runs at 16MHZ and can handle serial data at up to 115200 BPS. If you are experiencing delays in your response time, I suggest that it might not be the Arduino itself but how the data is handled or the code you have written. If you are communicating too slowly (you are limited to the Baud rate of the incoming feed from the printer board) it should still be a consistent delay. In other words there should be no fluctuation from one move command to the next. If the board from the printer sends a bunch of useless data, don't parse it, discard it and only handle the data you need. I have never worked with an Arduino tied to printer but I have worked with the Arduino on other projects for several years.

This is a discussion about Build DTG printer A3+ with Epson R1900 that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in